Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] A thread of Portuguese music

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Strictly speaking this isn't Portugese it's Brazilian so it is at least sung in Portugese if that counts.

I've recently been watching the Walter Presents Brazilian series Magnifica 70 and I became quite intrigued by the theme music so decided to find out a bit more about it.

I discovered that what i assumed was a woman singing was actually a man called Ney Matogrosso. The song is called "Sangue Latino" and was recorded by the band Secos & Molhados in 1973 during the height of Brazil's repressive military dictatorship which is the time in which the series is set.

Here is the song as I first discovered it during the opening credits which demonstrates how understandable my mistake was about the singer. The second video is Secos & Molhados with Ney Matogrosso's fantastically camp performance of the song.

https://youtu.be/yz4JNY5jl90

https://youtu.be/-zLicyzaH5A

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I have no Portuguese music in my collection and from the examples above won't be rushing out to get any.

At least it opens up the option of another 26 new threads as we go through all the EU countries for favourite music.

Will probably join in for Dutch music (providing option for singing in English is allowed)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I find Portuguese a really unattractive language to listen to and have no Portuguese music that I am aware of. Am I missing out?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I find Portuguese a really unattractive language to listen to and have no Portuguese music that I am aware of. Am I missing out?

Yes. fado is wonderful stuff, like a European blues. There are some great fado singers around - Mariza is the best know modern fadista - but there are lots of great singers from the past. I love the whole genre, it's something that's unique to Portugal, no other country has such a distinctive style

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes. fado is wonderful stuff, like a European blues. There are some great fado singers around - Mariza is the best know modern fadista - but there are lots of great singers from the past. I love the whole genre, it's something that's unique to Portugal, no other country has such a distinctive style

You could have posted a youtube video to back this up :smile:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Spanish flamenco is pretty damn distinctive.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Brazilian Portuguese sounds very different to the Iberian variety, and there's a wealth of great Brazilian music.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

I like it as well, and love the sound of it drifting from houses in old Porto.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Brazilian Portuguese sounds very different to the Iberian variety, and there's a wealth of great Brazilian music.

I told a Portuguese friend that Brazilians sound like they are dancing with the language whereas the Portuguese sound more like they are chewing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here