Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray ........... ????

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
£10m is chicken feed, compared to the cost of a relegation. We need to keep our main PL goalscorer, even if Muzza players as a sub or covering for injuries.

While I agree if we have a couple of guaranteed strikers lined up Murray is then surplus to requirements. Love him however he is a bit hit and miss and can go AWOL at times. If like you say sub or cover we still need at least one addition up front.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
re: Cardiff story. I bet most of the Championship are "weighing up" interest in Murray. Who wouldn't ? Chances of acting on it are limited. Chances of us actually accepting it are even more remote. But fills up the live transfer blogs .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
While I agree if we have a couple of guaranteed strikers lined up Murray is then surplus to requirements. Love him however he is a bit hit and miss and can go AWOL at times. If like you say sub or cover we still need at least one addition up front.

Those 2 guaranteed strikers would be nice, the club only have 4 weeks to sign them! By PL standards, Muzza’s more hit than miss, he got a hatful of vital goals with next to no service ... I think we were the worst creators with Hudd.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

You think we will realy get 2 guaranteed, PL experienced strikers in this summer? Because 'guaranteed strkers' in the Dutch League doesnt equate to PL guarantee as we have learnt and anythig less that 'PL tried and tested' is not a gamble the club will take IMO.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
You think we will realy get 2 guaranteed, PL experienced strikers in this summer? Because 'guaranteed strkers' in the Dutch League doesnt equate to PL guarantee as we have learnt and anythig less that 'PL tried and tested' is not a gamble the club will take IMO.

Not sure I mentioned Dutch players anywhere. However last season we never made use of the loan market, £10 million towards a loan wouldn't be too shabby.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Not sure I mentioned Dutch players anywhere. However last season we never made use of the loan market, £10 million towards a loan wouldn't be too shabby.

Ridiculous. We have one PL-standard striker. He is knocking on. He is going nowhere. We would need to sign 2 new PL strikers before considering letting Muzza go. We won’t be. Muzza wouldn’t want to go to Cardiff either. Other than that, this deal is definitely going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Locadia to take over Murray's mantle this season? Surely he has to come good at some point, especially if the service is improved to him.

Trouble is, Locadia is not great with his head, Muzza scores plenty with his head, if we are going to see some wing play this season, then Glenn will be invaluable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Are there really any "PL guaranteed strikers" anywhere ?
Mo Salah was a gamble that paid off. Benteke was a gamble that didn't. Presumably both PL "guaranteed" strikers.
Was Murray a PL guaranteed striker when we signed him ?
Were Callum Wilson ? Jamie Vardy ? Rondon ? for their clubs ? Jay Rodriguez ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well at least GM is a quality forward, if a little past it so even if we don’t get another forward in (which I’m not holding my breath on) maybe the new set up will help him continue to score. Just hope it’s enough to keep us up.

We really are very shit at finding good young forwards and have been for ages now. I have accepted that we’ll likely not get one this year either as we are not willing to pay the going rate, and yes I do get why that is.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Are there really any "PL guaranteed strikers" anywhere ?
Mo Salah was a gamble that paid off. Benteke was a gamble that didn't.?

This is a key point.

Begging us to sign the 'proven'; in theory, Benteke is a proven goal scorer at this level during his time with Villa. £30m + £100k p/w wages later, the guy is not just a flop, he was a massive failure in the grand scheme of things for the small club he plays for. He undoubtedly triggered the match the highest wage clause in many of those contracts up the road threw at players rather than invest in infrastructure. It would be an interesting read to look at pre-Benteke and their wage bill to a season or 2 later and then compare the wage bill.

We'll remind them of this but not actually understand why THEM are a prime example of splashing cash with no real term results other than an inflated wage bill and poor infrastructure with little to no headroom to improve their stadium.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well at least GM is a quality forward, if a little past it so even if we don’t get another forward in (which I’m not holding my breath on) maybe the new set up will help him continue to score. Just hope it’s enough to keep us up.

We really are very shit at finding good young forwards and have been for ages now. I have accepted that we’ll likely not get one this year either as we are not willing to pay the going rate, and yes I do get why that is.

The club are shit at getting any forward in.
As much as CJ won't have it, the Zamora fudge cost the club one promotion and the Murray fudge came close to getting us relegated.

Ironically had the club spent the going rate on a string of strikers over the last x years, it would have generated so much more money.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In contrast, Burnley are brilliant at this. One of the big reasons for their success over the last decade or so.

Annoying that two of them are ex Brighton , one of whom people were fighting with each other to drive to Burnley. In between groaning and booing him for every mistake and some even booing before he took a penalty.

I’d have Ashley back in a hearbeat too. No chance though as he said when he left that he didn’t feel wanted here. Cock up of not quite Murray to Palace proportions.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As much as CJ won't have it, the Zamora fudge cost the club one promotion and the Murray fudge came close to getting us relegated.

Ironically had the club spent the going rate on a string of strikers over the last x years, it would have generated so much more money.

Where did it all go wrong SB ? A striker with 25 goals in the last 2 seasons who cost £3m and has kept us up (who you would have presumably ditched 2 years ago - so not sure why we should trust you on what the club *should* have done) , another striker who cost £2m who took us within 2 goals of getting promoted in one season and then with a striker who cost £2.5m got us promoted to the Premier League the next racking up in the process 72 goals one season and 74 the next. If this is "shit", shit ???, then ask Derby, Boro, Leeds, Cardiff, Stoke, Swansea, Sheff Wednesday, Palace and so on on - how they're feeling.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The biggest mistake the club has made in the last 10 years wasn't getting forwards in, it's been letting them go.

Of course your favourite never had the;
right support
right tactics
right service
right formation

Where have we heard that before? :whistle:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
In contrast, Burnley are brilliant at this. One of the big reasons for their success over the last decade or so.

Sure. How did Nakhi Wells and Vydra get on at Burnley - their 2 big striker signings apart from Chris Wood in the last 2 seasons. ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

We've a 19 year old striker currently training with the first team who was player of the year in the Prem League 2 last season.
Did we pay the going rate to find him ? Or was that just good scouting and development ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here