Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Here they come, get ready for the roar!!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Fair play to the lad but this rather sums it up. Plenty of money to be made on The Tour without ever being very good at winning more than the odd match. We always like to think of Wimbledon being special but I'm pretty sure all the pro's dumped out in the first round are chuffed to bits with the prize money they get for one afternoons work and are then looking to the next earner in 2 weeks time wherever it is. Forget all the back stories and hype, this is just a business like any other.

The ATP tour is where the money is, and the players need to reach a particular ranking to take part. The commentators were talking about it earlier saying a player who had been injured, had dropped below that ranking and had to drop to the Challengers tournament.
I don't know how the prize money at Wimbledon compares to the other three Grand Slam tournaments.

Jubb got in via a wildcard this year.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Just flicked the tellybox on right at the correct time to get a Brit progress update.

Kyle Edmund - Brit no 1 - manages to lose from 2-0, 3-0 up and Heather Watson got annihilated in straight sets. That's how I remember Wimbledon as a kid. Textbook Andrew Castle.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just flicked the tellybox on right at the correct time to get a Brit progress update.

Kyle Edmund - Brit no 1 - manages to lose from 2-0, 3-0 up and Heather Watson got annihilated in straight sets. That's how I remember Wimbledon as a kid. Textbook Andrew Castle.

Why worry about it though ? Tennis is really quite meaningless.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

There is something quite enjoyable about all the Brits being out of Wimbledon before the 1st weekend of the tournament has even arrived. Tim and Andy didn't read the manual but I'm pleased to see that we are back to situation 'Jeremy Bates'

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

All about opinions. Give me Wimbledon over any cricket all week long. It’s only meaningless if you don’t like it. If I had to choose between cricket and the women’s world cup I ‘d struggle to decide what to watch. Actually no I wouldn’t I’d give them both a miss. :smile:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

Was it Andrew Castle that had a match point against Goran Ivanisevic in the early nineties? A second serve by Ivanisevic and it dribbled over the net for another chance. Mind you, he did serve at about 140mph regardless of the situation. :ohmy:

Another heartbreaking British sporting moment. :down:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There is something quite enjoyable about all the Brits being out of Wimbledon before the 1st weekend of the tournament has even arrived. Tim and Andy didn't read the manual but I'm pleased to see that we are back to situation 'Jeremy Bates'

I always remember Jeremy Bates leaving Wimbledon in his top of the range Porsche after making it to the third round many years back. At that point this was the furthest he had got in a major championship while a pro. He made a pretty good living despite never really doing much.

As an aside, lots of rumblings of discontent that Gary Linaker earns £1.75 m a year presenting MOTD and other shows for the BBC. I'm slightly surprised that John McEnroe earns between £190,000-£194,000 presenting Wimbledon and other shows for the BBC. We all know that a season of MOTD is considerably more work than Wimbledon and a few other tournaments, even talking about Tennis seems a bloody good earner Pound for Pound.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I always remember Jeremy Bates leaving Wimbledon in his top of the range Porsche after making it to the third round many years back. At that point this was the furthest he had got in a major championship while a pro. He made a pretty good living despite never really doing much.

As an aside, lots of rumblings of discontent that Gary Linaker earns £1.75 m a year presenting MOTD and other shows for the BBC. I'm slightly surprised that John McEnroe earns between £190,000-£194,000 presenting Wimbledon and other shows for the BBC. We all know that a season of MOTD is considerably more work than Wimbledon and a few other tournaments, even talking about Tennis seems a bloody good earner Pound for Pound.

I remember a certain Albion youngster turning up in his Range Rover and he never even played in the Championship. I think our Jeremy earned about 1 mill in his career through tournaments and he did get close to the worlds top 50. He won two majors mixed doubles titles as well.
Golf is the one you want to get into.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
People on this thread have moaned about the repetitive back and forth boring basketball.....then they watch tennis

[emoji1787]

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not a great tennis fan but Mrs Oldman watching and have to,say for a 15 year old she is brilliant and very talented.

She certainly is. Lots of hype surrounding her and her parents seem to expect the world from her, so I hope that she can handle it and has a good support network around her, other than her parents.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gauff really does look something special.

The commentary is getting more than a little cloying though. Rybarikova was also playing some very fine tennis and playing some excellent shots at times, but every time she did, the focus was "oh just LOOK at the shots that Gauff is forcing her to play - Gauff just doesn't give up on ANYTHING !". Well of course not, why the hell would she ?

Anyway, I'm enjoying watching her play, she seems utterly fearless.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Was it Andrew Castle that had a match point against Goran Ivanisevic in the early nineties? A second serve by Ivanisevic and it dribbled over the net for another chance. Mind you, he did serve at about 140mph regardless of the situation. :ohmy:

Another heartbreaking British sporting moment. :down:

It appears, Castle's greatest achievement was taking long forgotten Swedish tennis ace Mats Wilander to 5 sets. Naturally, he lost.

http://that1980ssportsblog.blogspot.com/2018/07/1986-wimbledon-castle-v-wilander.html?m=1

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not a great tennis fan but Mrs Oldman watching and have to,say for a 15 year old she is brilliant and very talented.

It's lovely that you so clearly appreciate your wife but isn't she a little young for you? ???

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
All about opinions. Give me Wimbledon over any cricket all week long. It’s only meaningless if you don’t like it. If I had to choose between cricket and the women’s world cup I ‘d struggle to decide what to watch. Actually no I wouldn’t I’d give them both a miss. [emoji2]
It is all about opinions, that's correct.

I follow what's going on in most sports. I just love sport. My nipper has even got me slightly knowledgeable about NBA.... and I always swore I'd not take an interest in a bunch of giants playing netball.

Tennis is a bit "meh" to me in general, but I've watched some of the epic Fed v Nadal or Murray v Nole matches etc and it can be bloody brilliant.

Golf. Can't be bothered with watching tour matches but the majors and The Ryder Cup. Amazing.

However, not liking cricket means you're a philistine and have no understanding of real sport whatsoever. So your opinion on anything in the entire history of everything is therefore invalid. Sorry.

Regards

LL

[emoji23]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here