Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Here they come, get ready for the roar!!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Konta's making a habit of finding different ways to blow Grand Slam opportunities against unseeded players.

She's got the game to make a final, but can't deliver when it matters most against lower-ranked players.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Konta's making a habit of finding different ways to blow Grand Slam opportunities against unseeded players.

She's got the game to make a final, but can't deliver when it matters most against lower-ranked players.

Konta lost it when she got to the semi-finals in 2017 - she wandered into a supermarket in the morning and saw her face on the front page of every paper and it freaked her out. She phoned her boyfriend to come and rescue her and take her home. I am not convinced that she wants the fame that comes with winning major events.

Edit: It may not have been 2017....

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sue Barkers pants are getting a bit wet this morning with the excitement of the big 3 all playing QFs today. Going to be an incredible atmosphere on Centre.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Sue Barkers pants are getting a bit wet this morning with the excitement of the big 3 all playing QFs today. Going to be an incredible atmosphere on Centre.

Absolutely. Just what will Carole
Middleton wear?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I believe Rafa is her favourite, I think she likes a bit of rough.

My prediction is that Federer will fall to Rafa or Djokovic and be well beaten by whichever one he meets, probably in straight sets. More difficult to predict which of Rafa or Djokovic will win though.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Come on Tim!

Tennis is so elitist. The smugness of the crowd radiates off the TV at times. Nothing worse than fat middle aged women, dressed as victims from a regional boutique somewhere, waving little Union jacks and pissed on overpriced Prosecco shouting for the plucky Brit.

It’s a no from me!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Konta really is woeful

Her answers to the questions was equally pathetic
I know she's British, well "British", but I can't stand her. That journo said nothing you wouldn't expect him to and yet Balding talked of her being "understandably riled". Christ on a bike, pathetic fawning. I wonder whether it's because they've spent all week fawning all over her, or whether it's because she's female.

It does seem one rule for one and one for another - that goes for the sport and gender of the player.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I know she's British, well "British", but I can't stand her. That journo said nothing you wouldn't expect him to and yet Balding talked of her being "understandably riled". Christ on a bike, pathetic fawning. I wonder whether it's because they've spent all week fawning all over her, or whether it's because she's female.

It does seem one rule for one and one for another - that goes for the sport and gender of the player.

Murray, Henman, Rusedski got this line of questioning every major, every year and each achieved more.

Konta got off lightly after her “performance” in the French open semi, any of the above would have been slaughtered.

The line of questioning was fine, unless she changes her attitude/game plan she won’t reach a major final.

She lost 12 games in a row to a non seeded 33 year old - That should be questioned - even more so after she did something similar in the above mentioned french.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Having been so brilliant against Petra Kvitova, and played her way into a position where she was serving for a 5-1 lead in the first set - serious questions being asked was only fair. I think the journalist was being a bit stern in tone but the question is perfectly fair. She has changed her mentality massively in the last couple of years but she does crumble. It's a bit harsh to call her out on it immediately after the match though, to be fair.

This was a massive missed opportunity for her but Serena Williams in the semi-final wouldn't have been comfortable!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I believe Rafa is her favourite, I think she likes a bit of rough.

My prediction is that Federer will fall to Rafa or Djokovic and be well beaten by whichever one he meets, probably in straight sets. More difficult to predict which of Rafa or Djokovic will win though.

How wrong can I be. Federer beats Nadal in four sets. :bowdown:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I binned work an hour early to get out and watch the full match, I think Rafa Nadal is very close to retiring. He still plays some amazing points, clearly - but physically he looked drained from the third set, which is massively unlike him and I get the sense he's closer to retirement than Roger, despite being 5 years younger. Roger turns 38 next month! Amazing specimen.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I binned work an hour early to get out and watch the full match, I think Rafa Nadal is very close to retiring. He still plays some amazing points, clearly - but physically he looked drained from the third set, which is massively unlike him and I get the sense he's closer to retirement than Roger, despite being 5 years younger. Roger turns 38 next month! Amazing specimen.

Nadal is still virtually unbeatable at the French Open, and has closed the gap in overall Grand Slams to Federer to 20-18. Great win for Federer today, but it was his favourite surface and the opposite for Nadal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here