Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Ghent / Antwerp / Brussels

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Morning all. Any advice on food and drink in any of these places?

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ghent bars - waterhuis and le plank
Antwerp Kultminator - paters by the cathedral and den Engel in the main square

Fries and mayo in the streets follow by a waffle.

Don’t know about day 2
-

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Mussels frittes mussels frittes is about it.

They even have frittes museums.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Brussels has some superb restaurants but you cannot beat the street sold "triple fried chip baguette", it is food heaven! Must have frit sauce on it, lashings of it!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Why not ask the Albion scouts...they practically live over there at the moment.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Drink everything except Leffe, eat Flemish Beef Stew and Frites, watch out for the Mayonnaise!

mike1901

May 12, 2017
Drink everything except Leffe, eat Flemish Beef Stew and Frites, watch out for the Mayonnaise!
Musles, chips, mayo and beer and you must try Carbonnade Flamande. Which is a Flemish stew cooked in beer, it is to die for. I used to have this alot when I was younger. My Dad was Belgiun.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ensure you go to Antwerp train station. A thing of beauty. Avoid chocolate-box Bruges. We went to Ghent a few years back, it's a very livable city.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Ensure you go to Antwerp train station. A thing of beauty. Avoid chocolate-box Bruges. We went to Ghent a few years back, it's a very livable city.
Agree with all of this except the Bruges bit. In the week when quieter it's a great place with fantastic bars. It's only when the cruise ships dump in the visitors that it's a nightmare. Better in the evening.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Bia Mara is a fish and chip place in Brussels. Sustainable fish and it's quirky, inexpensive and very very nice. Doesn't seat many so you may have to wait.
I was in Brussels last week for a few days. You have to walk through the Beirut type area between the midi-station and the main centre , it's not too bad but is pretty unkept and untidy. Good to get through if you have to.

Main Grande Place is ok if a tad expensive but we liked Place Geri (spellinge?) which had a lot of wee neat bars and restaurants.
Bus tour is 25 Euros but most city maps give you a two euro discount voucher. For this you also get two tours for the price of one.The main city history tour and the Europe tour (European Commission building, aka Maison Farage) etc etc. Lasts 24 hours (the ticket not the tour) and you can hop on and hop off at will.
Good place Brussels but two full days was enough. Beer OK but too sweat for me. Most bars had extensive 80 beer beer lists but i tended to concentrate on the citrusy IPAs of which there were only a few. Lupinus was good and the standard Juliper draught is ok too.

Enjoy.

TNBA

TTF

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I was there around 18 months ago and received some good advice from a NSCer but cant find the thread.
I drove there and boy is the town impossible to get to. Just like Brighton, they hate cars. Stayed at the Harmony Hotel overlooking the river. Nice room with free parking. The Waterhuis is a must visit micro pub style place with what looked like 500 beers and nothing under 10 Euros it seemed. There is a square called Korenmarkt which has a load of restaurants with outside tables. We ate in one and were more than happy with the food, drinks, service and cost.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Head for the main squares in each city, the food and drink is top quality at very affordable prices and the service both warm and welcoming.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

There was a favourite building thread a while ago, and I mentioned Antwerp railway station

Yep go here, order yourself a Klokke roeland (11% lovely) and cubed cheese and meat. Amazing.

When I went, they only sold the Klokke Roeland in 33cl, and you were only allowed 2!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here