Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Greatest female vocalists?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Top thread [MENTION=663]portlock seagull[/MENTION].

It seems to me you can break this down into sub categories.

Technically. Franklin is the greatest.

In terms of overall artisteness, you can't look beyond turmoil and damage. Winehouse and Joplin being the front runners.

You then have the quirky performers. Bush and Guðmundsdóttir being the obvious choices.

I can't bear singers that lose their edge. I hope that Bird doesn't go melodic. She's got great potential.

Lennox and Dion? Fukk me. Bland beyond belief. Nice can fukk right off.

Aretha was outstanding. However she was formed in the church tradition and she mostly framed her voice in that style. She made heavy use of back up singers that would allow her the freedom to float over melodies and hit those incredible runs. She could do light and shade, but she had the nous to know that her strength lay in the depth and power. She let the Sweet Inspirations do the lighter stuff. I would make a case for Etta James as a singer who could excel at both ends. She had the blues power and the Solomon Burke catch, but could also do sweet smooth and delicate.

I don't rate Janis Joplin at all. She had power, but little control and, like a lot of white singers singing music of black origin, was given too much credit because of the novelty. Her version of 'Piece of my Heart' doesn't hold a candle to Aretha's sister Erma's version which is far more soulful and less showy. She was obviouslly trying to do Bessie Smith, but, without the resonance, to my ear she just ended up screechy.

Amy Winehouse had promise. I liked her voice when first hearing stuff from the Frank album, but she became too mannered; too keen to be the new Billie Holiday, both in her vocal style and her self mythologising. I blame her influence for the annoying nasality which is so prevalent among a lot of the British female singers that came after her. (I'm looking at you particularly Paloma Faith, because you have a great voice when you don't do it).

One I regret leaving out of my list is Bobbie Gentry. I love her sweet husky tinge and the way she ranged from country soul into the sophisticated sound of Bacharach and David without losing her own accent and identity. It's a shame that she decided to opt out of the music business as it would have been great to have heard how she would have progressed, perhaps going deeper into her roots like Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmy-Lou have, perhaps working with some of the generation of women singers who got the opportunity to write and produce themselves because of trailblazers like her.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Aretha was outstanding. However she was formed in the church tradition and she mostly framed her voice in that style. She made heavy use of back up singers that would allow her the freedom to float over melodies and hit those incredible runs. She could do light and shade, but she had the nous to know that her strength lay in the depth and power. She let the Sweet Inspirations do the lighter stuff. I would make a case for Etta James as a singer who could excel at both ends. She had the blues power and the Solomon Burke catch, but could also do sweet smooth and delicate.

I don't rate Janis Joplin at all. She had power, but little control and, like a lot of white singers singing music of black origin, was given too much credit because of the novelty. Her version of 'Piece of my Heart' doesn't hold a candle to Aretha's sister Erma's version which is far more soulful and less showy. She was obviouslly trying to do Bessie Smith, but, without the resonance, to my ear she just ended up screechy.

Amy Winehouse had promise. I liked her voice when first hearing stuff from the Frank album, but she became too mannered; too keen to be the new Billie Holiday, both in her vocal style and her self mythologising. I blame her influence for the annoying nasality which is so prevalent among a lot of the British female singers that came after her. (I'm looking at you particularly Paloma Faith, because you have a great voice when you don't do it).

One I regret leaving out of my list is Bobbie Gentry. I love her sweet husky tinge and the way she ranged from country soul into the sophisticated sound of Bacharach and David without losing her own accent and identity. It's a shame that she decided to opt out of the music business as it would have been great to have heard how she would have progressed, perhaps going deeper into her roots like Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmy-Lou have, perhaps working with some of the generation of women singers who got the opportunity to write and produce themselves because of trailblazers like her.

Great post (although I'm not as familiar with a few of these as you are).
Amy Winehouse has a stunning voice, and excelled at a style of music I don't really go with.
Billy Holiday? Nina Simone? P J Harvey?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Ive only read the last 5 pages, but surprised there is no ention of Dusty Springfield of Stevie Nicks.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
That chick from Aerosmith.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For me Charlotte Church in her early teens leaves all the pop stars standing. I saw Aretha Franklin in Vegas a few years ago, granted she was past her best years, but she was awful.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For me Charlotte Church in her early teens leaves all the pop stars standing. I saw Aretha Franklin in Vegas a few years ago, granted she was past her best years, but she was awful.

Is it just me or is that post not a tad creepy? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ive only read the last 5 pages, but surprised there is no ention of Dusty Springfield of Stevie Nicks.

I am embarrassed if I failed to mention Dusty. I thought I had.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion but my opinion is that Aretha Franklin was never 'awful' up until the day she died.
Aretha Franklin and awful in the same sentence is just ridiculous.
Maybe you didn't like her soul style, in the same way I don't like heavy metal singers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Also perfection.

She hits something in me I can't explain. Extraordinary. Probably my favourite ever singer. And those who think I just flock to anything obscure, think on. Get out more. Etc. Hope all's good, mate. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here