Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Avignon

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I am thinking of taking Mrs.Wunt be druv for a long weekend in Avignon,have any of you good people been there recently and have you any recommendations on who,where,why and what to see and do etc..I have been years ago in my dim distant youth and fancy a trip back there,going to travel via Paris on Eurostar and TGV.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My dad used to recite that thing, ending with 'Lonny Donsee, Lonny Donsee'. His French was non-existent. Never found out what the true words were....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My dad used to recite that thing, ending with 'Lonny Donsee, Lonny Donsee'. His French was non-existent. Never found out what the true words were....

Sur le Pont d'Avignon
L'on y danse, l'on y danse
Sur le Pont d'Avignon
L'on y danse tous en rond.

Quite often the first French song you learn at school

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Sur le Pont d'Avignon
Sur le Pont d'Avignon

Although the correct lyric is "sur le pont" it is believed they actually danced sous le pont as [MENTION=36353]schmunk[/MENTION] originally suggested.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
If you are planning on hiring a car then the nearby L'Isle sur la sourge and Fontaine De La vaclause are well worth a visit.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Visit Nimes, lovely place

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
If you are planning on hiring a car then the nearby L'Isle sur la sourge and Fontaine De La vaclause are well worth a visit.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

And the "Pont du Gard" is not very far away - fantastic Roman aqueduct where we were just stunned by the precision of the building of it.

But Avignon is a great place. We were there a few years ago and were lucky enough to be wandering around aimlessly on our first night not really knowing where we were when we found ourselves in front of the stunning Palais des Papes in the late evening sunlight. Unforgettable.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
That's where they host the Avignon Festival I've just mentioned.

We were only there for one night on our way to somewhere else but it was during the Festival period. The place was buzzing.

And while we were there they had the July 14th Fireworks which had been postponed from the previous week because of rain. By the river around the bridge. Spectacular.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I’d recommend visiting Arles and Saints-Maries-de-la-mer. The latter is in the Carmargue.

Arles is where Van Gogh cut off his ear which he then delivered to a local brothel before being committed to an asylum there. Many of his famous paintings were painted in Arles where he lived for a year with Gaugin.

The Arlesians hated Van Gogh when he lived there, now a lot of them make a living off his name.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Sur le Pont d'Avignon
Sur le Pont d'Avignon

Alouette, gentille alouette
Alouette, je te plumerai
Aloutette, gentille alouette
Alouette, je te plumerai

I went to Avignon for a day trip last October while I was in the area. I preferred other places close by like Arles, Aix-en-Provence, Chateauneuf-du-Pape. But easier as we had a car out there to travel around. The whole area is lovely though, amazing food and wine, Roman architecture, usually decent weather and not full of brits. So for a food/wine weekend with some walking to see the sights to burn off the meals it'll be lovely.

Just looking back at my pictures, Vers-Point-du-Gard was impressive and Fontvieille (French one, not Monaco) was a charming little village.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here