Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Zakynthos

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Mykonos is where the action is for the 30 plus set. Think of Soho house with club music & hot weather. It's also by far the .most expensive Greek island to holiday on.

And Skiathos for everybody else. Long flat chilled island, fifty-odd beaches, superb bus service, every 20 minutes, joins all the dots. Stop 1 is the airport, stop 28/29 is the amazing Koukounaries beach. For those of a Mama Mia bent, the clock tower is in Skiathos town (bus stop no. 4) and there's Mama Mia boats trips to Symi for a full-on singalong. Almost goes without saying that the food is amazing. Well, amazingly Greek anyways. Oh and you'll never get more up close and personal to a full-on jetliner on the beach at the end of a runway anywhere in Europe or indeed most of the world. Google it! :wink:

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Currently sat by the pool in Kefalonia, looking across the water at Zakynthos, searching NSC for transfer news. A little misty at 7am but will hit a nice 30 degrees later.

Any tips? Looking to book a week there next month, but no idea what part of the island to stay in.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I was there in 1985 and proposed to my Missus - never been back.

Was one of the more scary flights on the return - an old BAC111 - those in the know, will know what I mean ....

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
Been to Tsilivi a few times, found a really nice hotel a short walk from the centre.
Really like this town as there are a few noisy bars, if that’s your thing, but also some more low key places as well.
Can also get a nice ride in a horse and carriage if you fancy it :smile:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Loggerhead turtles are the protected ones and there are strict rules applicable to the beaches where they lay eggs. Been to Laganas twice. First was all inclusive so never really left the hotel grounds but second time we were at the Ilios hotel. Not bad and set away from main strip which was fine by us. We were on our way back as the clubbers were on their way out so not really a problem. Plenty of good Greek restaurants if you steer clear of the main strip.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
And Skiathos for everybody else. Long flat chilled island, fifty-odd beaches, superb bus service, every 20 minutes, joins all the dots. Stop 1 is the airport, stop 28/29 is the amazing Koukounaries beach. For those of a Mama Mia bent, the clock tower is in Skiathos town (bus stop no. 4) and there's Mama Mia boats trips to Symi for a full-on singalong. Almost goes without saying that the food is amazing. Well, amazingly Greek anyways. Oh and you'll never get more up close and personal to a full-on jetliner on the beach at the end of a runway anywhere in Europe or indeed most of the world. Google it! :wink:

Mykonos is a wonderful island been quite a few times hoping to get back there soon.
Skiathos is another island I really liked but I thought the Mama Mia thing was the island next door, Skopelos, very pretty island that is too.
I adore the Cyclades, and have been to nearly all of them over many years.
But, if you are under 30 or if you are still able to get down or want to see out your partying days with a bang then go to Ios.
A totally mad island, a one off, not been for a long time but the scene is still the same, 24 hour partying on and off the beach, and the beaches are fantastic.
Go to Ios, its still a bit of a secret but you will never forget it.
Ps I know Skiathos is not in the Cyclades, Mykonos and Ios are though.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Mykonos is a wonderful island been quite a few times hoping to get back there soon.
Skiathos is another island I really liked but I thought the Mama Mia thing was the island next door, Skopelos, very pretty island that is too.
I adore the Cyclades, and have been to nearly all of them over many years.
But, if you are under 30 or if you are still able to get down or want to see out your partying days with a bang then go to Ios.
A totally mad island, a one off, not been for a long time but the scene is still the same, 24 hour partying on and off the beach, and the beaches are fantastic.
Go to Ios, its still a bit of a secret but you will never forget it.
Ps I know Skiathos is not in the Cyclades, Mykonos and Ios are though.

It's not a secret in Australia! Right of passage for them to party on the Island. I actually think everyone can go to Ios and enjoy it. The less said about Mykonos and Skiathos the better. There are amazing islands just a short ferry ride away from both those islands.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It's not a secret in Australia! Right of passage for them to party on the Island. I actually think everyone can go to Ios and enjoy it. The less said about Mykonos and Skiathos the better. There are amazing islands just a short ferry ride away from both those islands.

There were a lot of Aussies and people from many other countries when I was there.
The Scandinavians were out in force as well.
It's not such a secret as it used to be but because you can't fly there you get a lot of island hoppers and people travelling through Europe.
I still love Mykonos but a lot of my time was spent on Paros and Anti Paros, this was a long time ago, looking on you tube the islands have changed a lot.
Ios town was crazy back then Mylopotus beach was a campsite with the laid back Far Out Cafe, which is now a 24 hour beach party.
But I agree you can go to Ios at any age and enjoy it as it's quite a big Island with much better facilities than when I was there and the beaches are fabulous and quiet ( away from the main ones)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here