Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Cold callers

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I feel much the same every time you post on NSC.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
If it is on your mobile then there are a few apps that will block them.

If landline then I think you can still go old school and get your number put as ex directory. Technically asking to be removed from their calling list means they should/have take you off it but they never do and they always say the company name so quickly that you can't look them up to make a complaint.

Air horn ready to sound down the phone when they call?

This should help you: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...-or-tv/stop-getting-nuisance-calls-and-texts/

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am getting more and more cold callers on the phone, as probably most people are, the majority of which I cannot understand How can you stop them?

Serious reply, BG, get call screening. If you phone me* you will be asked by a small bit of software to state your name and press hash. Cold callers, salespeople and wrong number diallers always quit at that point.

*please don't, though.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am getting more and more cold callers on the phone, as probably most people are, the majority of which I cannot understand How can you stop them?
Just tell them who you are, and update them on all the rumours you've heard.

Jul 7, 2003
Register on TPS for both landline and mobiles. Won't stop everyone but will stop a fair few.

Those that do get through, tell them you have registered on TPS and generally they ring off immediately. If not, get their details and report them.

...Or you could just have some fun at their expense by stringing them along and wasting their time.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Here you are, BG, Telephone preference service, they are very good and free. I’ve been signed up to it for years, I don’t get any cold calls etc. Recently signed my old Mum up, all nuisance calls have stopped for her as well.

home.bt.com
The best way to stop nuisance calls is to register your number with the Telephone Preference Service. They'll add you to their list of numbers that don't want to receive sales and marketing calls. You can also call them to register on 0345 070 0707. It's free to register with the Telephone Preference Service

You don’t need to be on by to register, it works for anyone.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Chuck an unanswerable question to them, they are only call centre students, they wont know an answer and they hang up.
I have had a couple recently saying they understand i have been involved in a road accident.
Yes, I said, I lost a leg in the crash, what can you get for me.....strangely the line went dead.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
If you dial 1572 directly after the call, it gives you the option of blocking the last caller. Apparently.

D

Deleted member 22389

You can't if they are overseas. Just slam the phone down on them. Make sure you don't take the shelf off in the process.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
If its an Simsang Pear Oopine device, then as Sully says, you can block the number (works for unsolicited text messages as well) for the land line I ask them politely to hang on, place the handset by an audio device and play the first track of the Derek & Clive "Come Again" Album. Give it 5 mins and Roberts your Dads brother they are gone!

You have not been charged for this advice. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here