Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players in your opinion will thrive under ' The magician ' Potter

D

Deleted member 2719

All of them apart from Duffy and Ryan.........Murray is borderline.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think we will play a higher line and be more adventurous so many of our more attacking players will flourish

It will also depend a lot on the set up, If we play 3 CB's with a high press then we may see a lot more from Montoya, Dunk, Bernardo, Knockaert, Bissouma, Propper, March and probably a pacey Andone will get a chance to shine but less need for Stephens as the Centre backs deal with break away moves. In a 4-4-2 formation we could see more emphasis on ball retention and get our better passers into the side. I'm looking forward to a different approach but still think we will be in that mix of 11th to 17th

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'm just hoping he gets a bit more time than the dim Finn before the chants of 'You don't know what you're doing' start.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm surprised that anybody feels confident enough to answer this question. Despite watching a LOT of football, I've only seen Potter's sides play (I think) 4 times (Ostersund home and away v Arsenal, and Swansea's FA Cup games v Brentford and Man City.

His 'side' didn't play the same way in each of those games. About the only thing I've really nailed down is that PACE was important. I hope that continues here.

One thing that has been very poor in our play over the last 18 months is fast transition. In the Championship seasons we scored a good number of goals breaking quickly on sides. In the PL we haven't even tried to do it. The goal (well, the penalty) away at Arsenal, when March went flying off on his own was the first in a long time, and even then he had hardly any support.

What is more - before anyone suggests we just don't have fast enough players - it is more to do with set-up, intent and quick thinking, than just being able to run fast - our best breakaway goal of recent Amex seasons was started in our box, and then finished off, by a 35 year old Bobby Zamora.

1. Since when did that stop anybody on Nsc having an opinion. I only watched the Swansea v Man City game but I think most of the players will be revitalised simply because its a new broom.

2. As much as I loved Bobby's goal (the one at Leeds was so memorable) surely Andone's goal running from the halfway line, from Duffy's pass was better, but then he only had to beat Palace's defence.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If Dunk stays, hopefully Potter will encourage him to come out more and pass the ball, like he did in the Championship.
I must say it was a joy to watch, after being slightly shackled recently:thumbsup:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm hoping they'll all start enjoying playing again-something that wasn't evident last season for most of them. That alone will improve their game(s).

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Considering we're going to attack a hell of a lot more than we're used to, it could end up being BOOM or BUST depending on how the players cope! Either way I guess we'll see a lot more entertaining matches, which was the whole point of the change right?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
:bowdown:

I think Knocky will have a new lease of life, Locadia will come good, Not sure about Ali J although I would imagine he will get more game time so he will have a better season. Who do yo think will benefit from a new playing style under The MAGICIAN?

Surely Potter is The WIZARD?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
All of them apart from Duffy and Ryan.........Murray is borderline.

You might be surprised with Ryan, he can be the start of the counter attack if he has players in front of him that are looking for a quick ball out from him, his distribution is excellent. I think Potter will use that at least in some games, if not all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Andre Gray

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I can't think of any player that might not look a better player, if given the right role, in the right set up, to combat a particular opposition. What will be more interesting to see is which players are in the side every game, however we set up, and whoever we are playing. I suspect that Ryan and Dunk will be the only names he does not have a think about dropping in any scenario.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Bernardo, Montoya, Knocky, March, Bissouma and Propper.

Hope you are correct about Bernardo and particularly Montoya I suspect they may have restricted game time if we end up playing three at the back as others have suggested.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Hope you are correct about Bernardo and particularly Montoya I suspect they may have restricted game time if we end up playing three at the back as others have suggested.

I could see them both working as wing backs, particularly Montoya. Bernardo could even play on the left side of a back three IMO.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
2. As much as I loved Bobby's goal (the one at Leeds was so memorable) surely Andone's goal running from the halfway line, from Duffy's pass was better, but then he only had to beat Palace's defence.

Fair enough -they are really not the same thing though. Hoofing the ball upfield and having one quick player charge after it on his own, and hoping for the best (see Andone v Palace, and March v Arsenal) is NOT the same thing as transitioning quickly and breaking in numbers on the opposition.

One of those is an actual tactic, the other is not.

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
I'm going with Davy Pröpper. Everything I know about Potter suggests that there will be a lot more movement off the ball this season and he is just the player to spot the runs and to pick and play the right pass.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I'm surprised that anybody feels confident enough to answer this question. Despite watching a LOT of football, I've only seen Potter's sides play (I think) 4 times (Ostersund home and away v Arsenal, and Swansea's FA Cup games v Brentford and Man City.

His 'side' didn't play the same way in each of those games. About the only thing I've really nailed down is that PACE was important. I hope that continues here.

One thing that has been very poor in our play over the last 18 months is fast transition. In the Championship seasons we scored a good number of goals breaking quickly on sides. In the PL we haven't even tried to do it. The goal (well, the penalty) away at Arsenal, when March went flying off on his own was the first in a long time, and even then he had hardly any support.

What is more - before anyone suggests we just don't have fast enough players - it is more to do with set-up, intent and quick thinking, than just being able to run fast - our best breakaway goal of recent Amex seasons was started in our box, and then finished off, by a 35 year old Bobby Zamora.

Andone v palace ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here