Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Costs of the Royal family

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
All peanuts when you consider how much the Roayal Family bring into the UK in tourism....allegedly

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Put it in perspective. We probably spent £30k a week on fruit for the Houses of Parliament. And those arbiters of virtue bring statistically NOTHING of value to this country.

The Royal Family are a huge draw, even if some people here don’t like it

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The latest cost being the upgrade of Harry and Meghan's modest little home upgrade. Money well spent from the taxpayer coffers?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48746609

Absolutely. The UK gets hundreds of millions if not billions of pounds pumped into the UK economy just because of monarchy and history. I personally don’t really care about them, but getting rid of them would be a mistake of Brexit magnitude.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Put it in perspective. We probably spent £30k a week on fruit for the Houses of Parliament. And those arbiters of virtue bring statistically NOTHING of value to this country.

The Royal Family are a huge draw, even if some people here don’t like it

Would they be less of a draw to tourism if we didn't pay for them?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Absolutely. The UK gets hundreds of millions if not billions of pounds pumped into the UK economy just because of monarchy and history. I personally don’t really care about them, but getting rid of them would be a mistake of Brexit magnitude.

We don't have to get rid of them. But surely we can look to cut back on how much we spend on them.
They are independently wealthy. They could survive without the handouts.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Tourists come to see and tour the buildings.

If they were paying thousands for a meet and greet with the old bag then that'd be fair enough.

The buildings and the history will still be there long after the freeloading lot of them have shuffled off to the great palace in the sky.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

indeed, look at the tourism industry in post revolution france, :ffsparr:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We, the taxpayer, would still have those costs for the upkeep of historic buildings if we got rid of Royalty. I'd rather a politically neutral head of state over a political one any day.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I wouldn't want their job for all the money in the world. they are constantly photographed, gossiped about, criticized and followed wherever they go. they are expected to do countless meet and greets and be ambassadors while walking a tightrope over what they say, wear and do.

Every aspect of their lives are scrutinised and documented and sod being a royal kid. They are front page on every magazine and paper every day and god forbid if they step out of line with a wrong skirt or dare to hold the baby bump.

They deserve double.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We, the taxpayer, would still have those costs for the upkeep of historic buildings if we got rid of Royalty. I'd rather a politically neutral head of state over a political one any day.

Not all of them. A few (Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace, Kensington Palace (State Apartments and Orangery) ,The Banqueting House, Whitehall, Kew Palace with Queen Charlotte's Cottage, Hillsborough Castle) are under the care of Historic Royal Palaces which (I believe) relies entirely on donations.

Some of them are privately owned by the monarchy as well though as we're subsidising them you could argue that we're paying for the upkeep of those as well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here