Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Rafa gone..

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cue the geordie meltdown. He was always far too good for them anyway, I'm amazed he lasted this long.

Denis Wise already on his way up the M1 ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Undoubtedly good news for us. His management probably added 10-15 points to their total in the past couple of seasons.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
The Guardian sport headline - 'Ashley to give Sparky war-chest to take on City and Liverpool'. Exciting times to be a Geordie. Well jell!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That will hurt them badly

oh dear, how sad, never mind

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
He’s walked he wasn’t sacked. Not sure how this is Ashley’s fault? Rumour he’s refused to sanction a massive transfer spend. If that were Bloom we would be praising him for common business sense. (I still think Ashley comes across as a **** of a person though!!).
Benitez acting like he’s still at Liverpool or Chelsea in terms expectations.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't necessarily think that's fair. More a case of Ashley not good enough for them imo.

I'd say somewhere inbetween. Historically big club but nowadays not really, Toon have good local support but are nothing globally.

Lower Prem/Upper Champ is probably their standard now (a la Leeds, Derby, Villa, Fulham), they were fortunate to have such a good manager IMO.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't necessarily think that's fair. More a case of Ashley not good enough for them imo.

True, but surely a manager the calibre of Benitez should be in charge of one of the big European clubs challenging for honours, not pissing about with a basket-case yo-yo club like Newcastle, where the best he was ever going to achieve there was exactly what he did - mid table. I don't really understand why he so readily accepted several years of utter mediocrity there. I'm sure he was well rewarded, but he'd have got that anyway, if he was managing a serious football club. Its like he's had his career on hold.

Bet he gets a proper job next.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
True, but surely a manager the calibre of Benitez should be in charge of one of the big European clubs challenging for honours, not pissing about with a basket-case yo-yo club like Newcastle, where the best he was ever going to achieve there was exactly what he did - mid table. I don't really understand why he so readily accepted several years of utter mediocrity there. I'm sure he was well rewarded, but he'd have got that anyway, if he was managing a serious football club. Its like he's had his career on hold.

Bet he gets a proper job next.

It is a strange one for sure.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I'd say somewhere inbetween. Historically big club but nowadays not really, Toon have good local support but are nothing globally.

Lower Prem/Upper Champ is probably their standard now (a la Leeds, Derby, Villa, Fulham), they were fortunate to have such a good manager IMO.

Would've been interesting to see what he could've achieved with a more supportive Chairman. We'll never know now......thankfully.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here