Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Best brekkie on the A303 to Devon

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I think that from Haywards Heath the quickest route is the A272 to Winchester then up the A34 to join the A303 but that is a personal choice as I think the coast road is too slow and too many hold ups. I want to get to Cornwall ASAP once I leave home.

We always go A3, A303.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you want to get to Cornwall in the shortest time possible you will be having breakfast at a motorway services

I do not touch a motorway other than a few miles of the M5 at Exeter. Living on the A272 the quickest for me is through Midhurst which isnt a problem at between 6.30 and 7am.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I do not touch a motorway other than a few miles of the M5 at Exeter. Living on the A272 the quickest for me is through Midhurst which isnt a problem at between 6.30 and 7am.

It's a funny thing BG, I too need to head west quite frequently as l have in laws living in Poole. Whenever l have taken the A272 option l seem to have been held up, either behind a slow moving tractor that l couldn't overtake, or in a traffic jam around Petworth!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We did this during half term, left early didn't queue anywhere, stopped at West Bay, big car park and playground for the kids to run around for a bit then bacon and egg roll sat by one of the little kiosks on the harbour.

That playground has served us (well, my daughter) well!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If you want to get to Cornwall in the shortest time possible you will be having breakfast at a motorway services

Unless you're doing it at peak holiday as the OP seems to suggest in which case going down the M5 past Portishead will take about 15 hours.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Despite being probably the shortest route, Google Maps does not offer this route as an option between HH and Cornwall, which tends to suggest it is not the best.

Horses for Courses, mind. You go that way and it relieves the traffic for my route...!

theboybilly

I've commuted to Eastleigh using the A272 and have normally found it pretty reliable outside of peak hours BUT it doesnt take a lot to cause a jam on any stretch of that route. I got to know most of the back roads just because of that. You cannot rely on a single carriageway any more than you can a motorway. You won't get there quicker by avoiding the M23, M25 & M5 - you just won't. But this thread is about your breakfast so I would chuck the timetable out of the window and use the A272 and cut down to the M27 from Winchester then follow the coast to Devon and your normal route. Take the stress out the journey and enjoy your trip. Take in the scenery, it's much better than the A303.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If you're coming along the A272 you could stop at Loomies at West Meon A32 junction, £5.50 for the basic breky, lost of other stuff. Sometimes there isn't much room for cars though. :D IMG_0762 (3).JPG

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Despite being probably the shortest route, Google Maps does not offer this route as an option between HH and Cornwall, which tends to suggest it is not the best.

Horses for Courses, mind. You go that way and it relieves the traffic for my route...!

After reading your post I checked with both AA and RAC Route planner and both gave A303 as the first choice shortest in both miles and time, although to be fair one said the A272 as I use and the other said M25 and M3 tp A303. This was also confirmed by my sons Tom Tom Sat Nav .but irrespective it is the route that I prefer and will use.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've commuted to Eastleigh using the A272 and have normally found it pretty reliable outside of peak hours BUT it doesnt take a lot to cause a jam on any stretch of that route. I got to know most of the back roads just because of that. You cannot rely on a single carriageway any more than you can a motorway. You won't get there quicker by avoiding the M23, M25 & M5 - you just won't. But this thread is about your breakfast so I would chuck the timetable out of the window and use the A272 and cut down to the M27 from Winchester then follow the coast to Devon and your normal route. Take the stress out the journey and enjoy your trip. Take in the scenery, it's much better than the A303.

Why should I want to go from Winchester to the coast road to come back up inland for Exeter and Okehampton?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I like to combine both reasonable quality with a sensible price so would not pay £8 or more for 1 bacon, 1 sausage 1 egg 1/2 tomato with beans B&B and a cup of tea. For me that is £6 maximum.

If your limit for a cooked breakfast and a hot drink, is £6, then you are going to have very limited options on the A303. I guess there might be a van in a layby somewhere.

theboybilly

Why should I want to go from Winchester to the coast road to come back up inland for Exeter and Okehampton?

I counter that by asking why you would head due north from Winchester to Andover? Head south for a short stretch to the M27 then A31, A35, and A30 before picking picking up the Oakhampton route. You do like to faff about don't you. Using route planners will give you the driving conditions NOW. I wouldn't trust TomTom either as I had a 55 minute arrival time from the M4/25 junction last week when the overhead gantries were telling me 12 mile tailbacks from the M23. Got home over 2 hours later.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If your limit for a cooked breakfast and a hot drink, is £6, then you are going to have very limited options on the A303. I guess there might be a van in a layby somewhere.

There was many 'transport ' cafes but most have been upgraded and no longer offer VFM. I will probably settle for a van with a breakfast roll and cuppa as there doesnt appear to be any big chains that offer breakfast I thought that somebody may have known of an enterprising pub that was offering a breakfast at a sensible price.with the logic that it is nearly as cheap to sell 50 as 20. or 10 as 3.much like the roast dinners.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall

Wayne’s isn’t as good as it was

The 303 diner half an hour further on is much better in my opinion but in all honesty stop at McDonald’s at Sparkford roundabout and get moving again as soon as possible.

If you’re going into Cornwall and can start your journey really early and can hang on until you hit the Cornwall boarder.

Come off the A30 at Launceston and go straight across the roundabout into the industrial estate.

30 seconds up on the right is the Pie stop cafe. Cheap and cheerful but no queues plenty of parking and less than one minute from the A30!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

The 303 diner half an hour further on is much better in my opinion but in all honesty stop at McDonald’s at Sparkford roundabout and get moving again as soon as possible.

If you’re going into Cornwall and can start your journey really early and can hang on until you hit the Cornwall boarder.

Come off the A30 at Launceston and go straight across the roundabout into the industrial estate.

30 seconds up on the right is the Pie stop cafe. Cheap and cheerful but no queues plenty of parking and less than one minute from the A30!

Is that what was The Frying Pan at the side of the garage?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Blimey though, all the way to the Devon/Cornwall border and no brekkie? I'd pass out!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
There was many 'transport ' cafes but most have been upgraded and no longer offer VFM. I will probably settle for a van with a breakfast roll and cuppa as there doesnt appear to be any big chains that offer breakfast I thought that somebody may have known of an enterprising pub that was offering a breakfast at a sensible price.with the logic that it is nearly as cheap to sell 50 as 20. or 10 as 3.much like the roast dinners.

OK, just done a search for you.

Toby Carvery Amesbury, just off A303
All you can eat Breakfast £4.69

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here