Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Best brekkie on the A303 to Devon

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The time is fast approaching for the annual trek down the A303 to Devon and Cornwall for many families so where and who does the best brekkie to stop off for.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
9302892192_24a20f405d_c.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When we had a camper van we used to stop at a parking area just outside Yeovil but it has changed hands gone up market and become expensive and not VFM. Like using Brioche buns, which I dont like, for their burgers. There was also The Frying Pan at Sparkford but that has closed down I think

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The Route 303 diner is/was great.

Having made the trip several times a year over the last few years, before we moved up here (my in laws are in Devon), however, it's almost always quicker going along the coast - slow but steady. In which case I'd recommend stopping at West Bay where there are loads of good places to eat.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Along its 93.4 mile length, there's no better place to eat than in a lay-by near Podimore. There's an excellent bacon butty to be had out of a van. They cater for vegetarians too, "I'll just leave the bacon out". Vegan too, "How about I don't butter the bun either?"

theboybilly

Having made the trip several times a year over the last few years, before we moved up here (my in laws are in Devon), however, it's almost always quicker going along the coast - slow but steady. In which case I'd recommend stopping at West Bay where there are loads of good places to eat.

I agree, far more choice using this route rather than messing about with the A303 and it's not really that busy. More interesting too

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The time is fast approaching for the annual trek down the A303 to Devon and Cornwall for many families so where and who does the best brekkie to stop off for.

When we had a camper van we used to stop at a parking area just outside Yeovil but it has changed hands gone up market and become expensive and not VFM. Like using Brioche buns, which I dont like, for their burgers. There was also The Frying Pan at Sparkford but that has closed down I think

Can you clarify, whether you are looking for the 'best brekkie' or the cheapest ('VFM')?

My Dad has to trek the A303 a lot for work, and swears by this place:

http://www.mattiadiner.co.uk/

http://www.mattiadiner.co.uk/docs/Mattia-CombinedBreakfastMenu.pdf

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

OT - Yeah, what is it with ****ing Brioche buns? Everyone seems to do it now. Way too sweet. Might as well go the whole hog and shove the patty in a doughnut.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
OT - Yeah, what is it with ****ing Brioche buns? Everyone seems to do it now. Way too sweet. Might as well go the whole hog and shove the patty in a doughnut.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-30000934

"Family friendly" pub chain Hungry Horse has been criticised for creating a burger containing nearly 100% of a woman's recommended daily calorie intake at 1,996 calories.

The Double Donut burger consists of two beef burgers topped with cheese, four bacon rashers and BBQ sauce, sandwiched between two glazed ring-doughnuts.

:eek:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
The first stop after the M3 (Popham) is the Little Chef that was handed to Heston Blumenthal to revitalise. It was great for a year or so, but after that i think they fell back into old ways.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Can you clarify, whether you are looking for the 'best brekkie' or the cheapest ('VFM')?

My Dad has to trek the A303 a lot for work, and swears by this place:

http://www.mattiadiner.co.uk/

http://www.mattiadiner.co.uk/docs/Mattia-CombinedBreakfastMenu.pdf

Having eyeballed the menu, I'd die for their American Breakfast. Worth ignoring the so called quieter and quicker coastal route, and sticking to the A303 just to try their breakfast l would have thought.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean

We did this during half term, left early didn't queue anywhere, stopped at West Bay, big car park and playground for the kids to run around for a bit then bacon and egg roll sat by one of the little kiosks on the harbour.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I think that from Haywards Heath the quickest route is the A272 to Winchester then up the A34 to join the A303 but that is a personal choice as I think the coast road is too slow and too many hold ups. I want to get to Cornwall ASAP once I leave home.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

theboybilly

I think that from Haywards Heath the quickest route is the A272 to Winchester then up the A34 to join the A303 but that is a personal choice as I think the coast road is too slow and too many hold ups. I want to get to Cornwall ASAP once I leave home.

If you want to get to Cornwall in the shortest time possible you will be having breakfast at a motorway services

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here