Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would we ever have a 'Big Name' player?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I've seen Juan Mata suggested, which was immediately shouted down - then I saw 36 year old Dani Alves was looking for a last hurrah in the Premier League, which got me thinking. Would we ever sign a what you could call a 'big name player' ?

Obviously we'll never get one at the top of their career on £300k a week and a £120m Transfer fee - but would it be good for the players (younger ones especially) to have a vastly experienced player with something still to offer who wouldn't cost the earth and might take a sensible wage - or is the natural roosting place the USA or China for these people?

Just something to throw out there because basically I'm bored shitless at the moment.... :down:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
vicente.JPG

With League 1 winners patches and all! :bowdown:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Alireza Jahanbakhsh Jirandeh = 26 letters, pretty big.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
For the (historic) size of club we are, we've had some pretty big names play for us - and also had probably the most famous/high-profile manager/duo in British football.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Wayne Bridge and Matt Upson both brought talent but also a helping hand to the youngsters. Bobby Smith was one of the biggest names at the time when he signed in '64

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Vicente, Wayne Bridge, Matt Upson, Robbie Savage, Frank Worthington, Bobby Smith

Martin Chivers, Phil Beal, Joe Kinnear, Alex Dawson, Bert Murray, Glenn Murray

Edit [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] gets the jam for Chivers. I think he added Kinnear in an edit at 20.49, the little tinker.

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Brian Clough was a big name player, and quite famous as a manager.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here