Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Burglar Alarm Advice/Info

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
So we got burgled :annoyed: not very nice but not much of value taken as Mrs takes all expensive jewellery with her. Place was turned over though, and that was a ballache

I've now got Hive camera and lights and Mrs Rat wants an alarm too. I'm more than happy with a wireless system, one that calls a few numbers when 'triggered and only one, maybe two sensors (OB told me that)

Not too happy randomly calling installers so any recommendations would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has experience of DIY systems I'd like to hear more

I'm in Seaford

Thanks all

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Languard Alarms are the best. Independent local family business that have been going years ��

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
In terms of burglar alarms, would heartily recommend Sussex Alarms, very professional, good service. That said, I'm not sure alarms are much of a deterrent, we were burgled 3 times (in Shoreham), with alarms, and cameras.... It could be that our cameras were a little too discrete but then who wants a great big camera on the front of you house?? If I were concerned about being broken in to now, the one thing I would get is a dog - It may sound a bit extreme but it's probably the most reliable and obvious deterrent, and that comes from someone, ahem, 'in the trade'...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
In terms of burglar alarms, would heartily recommend Sussex Alarms, very professional, good service. That said, I'm not sure alarms are much of a deterrent, we were burgled 3 times (in Shoreham), with alarms, and cameras.... It could be that our cameras were a little too discrete but then who wants a great big camera on the front of you house?? If I were concerned about being broken in to now, the one thing I would get is a dog - It may sound a bit extreme but it's probably the most reliable and obvious deterrent, and that comes from someone, ahem, 'in the trade'...

This you?

011EDDBE-359F-4CB5-B934-9EA653A0200F.jpeg

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
First I would like to express my sympathy being burgled is a horrible crime and can leave victims feeling violated and helpless but in reality these are mostly random events and the chance of it being repeated are slim, but you will need to take a look at your lifestyle and personal security

In reality burglar alarm systems provide little added security compaired to cost, my advice would be screw an empty intruder alarm box to the front of your house, unless you are rich with a big house that in turn says this house is worth the effort most burglars will just walk on by until they find a house with out an alarm box professional burglars think It's not worth the risk.

it's these toe rags that are walking by and see an open window no car on the drive etc and think open window I'll just have a look, these are the ones to target by adopting good habits make sure Windows and doors are left shut and locked review and if nessasary increase your physical security look at window restrictiors, patio door jams,locks on garden gates, improving all entry and exit routes doors and locks, cutting back of hedges and trees, improved lighting, these are the ways to spend your money they will provide a better return than an alarm that can be more nuisance than help we have all heard alarms ringing and ignored them unless they are connected to a response they are worthless but any increase in security is useless if not used so most of all look at you and your families attitude towards personal security make sure things are locked when you are going out not just today while the burglary if fresh in your minds but in six months five years ten years time.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Bearing in mind I can disable any house hold alarm probably within 30 seconds I agree with the previous poster just screw a bell box to the front of the house they are only a deterrent.

We respond to after burglary scenes to sort the alarms when they have been smashed off the wall (thickos) the devastation can be horrific to the homeowner.

On another note some of these forensic girls are super hot :)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Another shout for ADT. We do set our alarm, most of the time, but have teenage boys who are bloody useless at locking the door let alone setting the alarm so I have this in my policy, i.e. alarm fitted but not always set, cost a few pound more but ensures you're covered in this instance.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
So we got burgled :annoyed: not very nice but not much of value taken as Mrs takes all expensive jewellery with her. Place was turned over though, and that was a ballache

I've now got Hive camera and lights and Mrs Rat wants an alarm too. I'm more than happy with a wireless system, one that calls a few numbers when 'triggered and only one, maybe two sensors (OB told me that)

Not too happy randomly calling installers so any recommendations would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has experience of DIY systems I'd like to hear more

I'm in Seaford

Thanks all

Apologies to drag this thread up but I am interested in the Hive lights and you mention you have them.

Do you also have the motion sensor bars?

Do you know if, in the app you can get 1 light to trigger further lights to turn on via Actions?

I would like to install a number of motion sensors in my hallways and turn on either the upstairs or downstairs lights when movement is detected on that floor and (even better) for them to come on very dim in the small hours when I need to nip out of bed for a pee.

Many thanks,

Papak

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Apologies to drag this thread up but I am interested in the Hive lights and you mention you have them.

Do you also have the motion sensor bars?

Do you know if, in the app you can get 1 light to trigger further lights to turn on via Actions?

I would like to install a number of motion sensors in my hallways and turn on either the upstairs or downstairs lights when movement is detected on that floor and (even better) for them to come on very dim in the small hours when I need to nip out of bed for a pee.

Many thanks,

Papak

[MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] - can you shed any light (Pun Intended) ?

Many thanks.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
[MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] - can you shed any light (Pun Intended) ?

Many thanks.

Apologies but I can't. I use the very basic functions only, which is all that I need. Taking a look there appear to be loads of actions so perhaps. Nor do I have motion sensors and so no use to you there either.

I think you might have to resort to Hive customer service/technical support ..... support

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here