Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which players must we keep?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
With more threads on interest in our current squad than potential signings I started to ponder which of our squad do you think it is essential for us to hold onto?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
my top 5 would be:

Ryan - the best goalkeeper I've ever seen play for us
Dunk - he is the sort of defender that allows teams to play from the back
Bernardo - an decent 1st season and has great potential
Bissouma - our greatest prospect and hopefully he gets a decent run in the first team next year.
Gross - a creative spark, finding a player who can play a killer ball to replace him could cost us £30m+

There are obviously plenty of others I wouldn't want to see go like Duffy, Propper, March, Izquierdo & Andone. And am keen to see more of some of our U21's.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
It depends on who the replacement is.

Based on the current squad losing Ryan or Bernardo would be a problem as the next in line isn’t good enough to be first choice.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Dunk
Duffy
Bernardo
Knockaert
Gross

I appreciate the last two may be controversial to some, but last season we missed Gross, and Knockaert is the only player who still excites me when in possession.

Edit - Bissouma as well, as he is a good prospect.....
Solly as he is improving continually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It depends on who the replacement is.

This. For example Murray kept us in the Prem last season and with good service this season, who knows. Knocky and Solly would be key if they're not tied behind the halfway line and can run at defence. Even Stephens can pick a decent forward pass when he is allowed to look up and towards.

Will be interesting to see what Potter's philosophy does to the existing squad.

Saying that, anyone can be upgraded but the key is what's the weakest positions.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No one is irreplaceable, but I would hope to keep Dunk the most, I think he is the hardest player to replace with a better one in his position. Ryan is probably next in that category, and beyond that I think then HGP status comes into it as well, so Solly next on my list. These are based on last seasons performances, however I am really hoping to see a lot more from a number of our players and think Davy Propper and Yves Bissouma are not going to be easy to replace with players of greater ability.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
No one is irreplaceable, but I would hope to keep Dunk the most, I think he is the hardest player to replace with a better one in his position. Ryan is probably next in that category, and beyond that I think then HGP status comes into it as well, so Solly next on my list. These are based on last seasons performances, however I am really hoping to see a lot more from a number of our players and think Davy Propper and Yves Bissouma are not going to be easy to replace with players of greater ability.

This was really the premis of my initial post. There are certain players who I'm sure will be sought by other clubs and we can accomodate their sale, but some will be almost impossible to replace for less than £20m

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Mine are based on who i think other teams would want to poach .

Bissouma
Dunk
March
Knockaert
Bernardo

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
my top 5 would be:

Ryan - the best goalkeeper I've ever seen play for us
Dunk - he is the sort of defender that allows teams to play from the back
Bernardo - an decent 1st season and has great potential
Bissouma - our greatest prospect and hopefully he gets a decent run in the first team next year.
Gross - a creative spark, finding a player who can play a killer ball to replace him could cost us £30m+

There are obviously plenty of others I wouldn't want to see go like Duffy, Propper, March, Izquierdo & Andone. And am keen to see more of some of our U21's.
This is my list too !

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Gross - best player technically (especially with El Capitan’s retirement)
Bernardo
Biss
Solly
Dunk
Propper (if we can get him further up the pitch)
Knocky (can Potter release the potential in the mad Frenchman?)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Ashley Barnes
Conor Goldson

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Dunk, Bernardo, Propper, Bissouma, Knockaert. Could build a team around that 5, though, to be honest, I think everyone in our squad is worthy of their place - a disappointing second half to the season but absolutely no need for a panicky clear out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ryan
Bernardo
Dunk
Duffy
Stephens (I’ll know this opinion will be slated)
March
Murray
Bissouma (a work in progress, great potential)
Knockaert

I wouldn’t be gutted if any of the others were replaced in the next window or two. This is based on what I watched to date, so some of the others will prove me wrong next season. Hopefully.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ryan
Bernardo
Dunk
Duffy
March
Murray
Knockaert

I wouldn’t be gutted if any of the others were replaced in the next window or two. This is based on what I watched to date, so some of the others will prove me wrong next season. Hopefully.

Stephens completely understand , however I didn’t select him because he’s not a ‘must keep’ for me, same with Ryan.

Both really good pro’s, who would certainly be in my starting line-up as we stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Bissouma hardly lit up the PL, created nothing and has the odd wild shot into row Z. What am I missing?

Presume you weren't at the home game vs Palarse, he absolutely bossed them off the park.

Not sure if I hope he kicks on next season - if he improves he will be off to one of the Big Boys very quickly.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Ryan
Bernardo
Dunk
Duffy
March
Murray
Knockaert

I agree with that list, and accept that a fit and unshackled Stephen's is a brilliant player. However, he was out of shape last season - in every sense of the word. Not just a mile off the pace, but another two cities back down the motorway... If he can shape up fine, otherwise he wouldn't be on my list of 'keeper's.'

Over to Dale and GP.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree with that list, and accept that a fit and unshackled Stephen's is a brilliant player. However, he was out of shape last season - in every sense of the word. Not just a mile off the pace, but another two cities back down the motorway... If he can shape up fine, otherwise he wouldn't be on my list of 'keeper's.'

Over to Dale and GP.

My thinking has always been that Stephens can do the ‘boring’ work as our CM sitter, with two pacy CM colleagues left to creativity and box to box work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here