Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Alexa.... bitch

I see someone else has put an Alexa thread up and all I can say is get it and then ask the question.
That's a shamelessly blatant bounce after just 90 minutes!

I rather like the voice of the 'Hey Google' girl but recently she can't answer anything, and I just get this every time...

Screenshot_20190620-222437.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I won't have one in the house, would you let your next door neighbour listen in to EVERY conversation you have in your house ? And, if you thought that was ok, would you allow a $1 trillion American company access to those conversations too ?
So you don't have a phone either then?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I won't have one in the house, would you let your next door neighbour listen in to EVERY conversation you have in your house ? And, if you thought that was ok, would you allow a $1 trillion American company access to those conversations too ?
It makes me laugh when I hear these type of comments. In fact, they often come from my 70 year old father!

I happen to get involved with data analytics in my job, and trying to protect your identity/data, well, that ship has sailed Sir!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I am not one for technology for the sake of it, just enough will do and I don’t get things because the media says that I should have them.
Phone, tablet, desktop and I am quite happy.
Never been into gimmicks and glad to say too late to even want to start.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You believe that Google/Alexa listen all the time.

If they are telling the truth - big if, then the 'listening all the time' is simply sensitivity towards the hotwords 'Alexa' or 'Okay Google'. At the point of activation, then yes these companies 'listen' to everything we say, but that is wholly different to 'listening to everything we say'.

Out of interest, do you carefully cover your tracks each time you surf the web etc, as I can't see much difference in the data between instructions/searches online or through an assistant.

He’s paranoid........he thought for years that microwaves where trying to read our treacherous thoughts.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve openly talked about my next drug shipment and the seven Estonian girls we are due to ship out to Slough soon but she has never grassed us up yet.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I am not one for technology for the sake of it, just enough will do and I don’t get things because the media says that I should have them.

This. I really can't be arsed with most of it. I have a smartphone, but that is about as modern as I get as far as technology is concerned.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

...and once you didn't have a tablet, they were a gimmick........ and once you didn't have a mobile phone, they were......... :)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I find the way it “speaks” a bit creepy. I’m waiting for a Joi but they don’t come on the market until sometime around 2049.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Alexa, as people why they are so blind to how they are handing over their lives to the fat cats in silicon valley.

PS: prize for the first knob who says they have purchased some Zuckerberg dollars.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Likewise. I can't be bothered to learn how to use most of the gadgets available.

But Alexa has its uses. It's a fantastic device for listening to whatever music you choose (link it to Spotify or similar), just by asking for it. It's not a gimmick (I'll never stop using Alexa or the equivalent), and it's great for old people too. My mum's nearly 80 and has no interest in modern technology (including computers and smart phones), but even she can walk into her kitchen and say 'Alexa play Adele'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Likewise. I can't be bothered to learn how to use most of the gadgets available.

But Alexa has its uses. It's a fantastic device for listening to whatever music you choose (link it to Spotify or similar), just by asking for it. It's not a gimmick (I'll never stop using Alexa or the equivalent), and it's great for old people too. My mum's nearly 80 and has no interest in modern technology (including computers and smart phones), but even she can walk into her kitchen and say 'Alexa play Adele'.

[yt]YvT_gqs5ETk[/yt]

I love this :lolol:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
So, you're walking down the high street in a Welsh town and you see a coat you like in a shop window. You go inside and ask the shopkeeper 'how much for that coat?' He replies (in Welsh) 'for you 100'. A few seconds later you're out of the shop without the coat and he's nursing a broken nose.... I think I can now see how the Welsh economy is in trouble and their NHS is struggling.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I find the way it “speaks” a bit creepy. I’m waiting for a Joi but they don’t come on the market until sometime around 2049.

I record my own on my old mini cassette and put on a Monyy Python style women’s voice. Try it Clampy. I could send you one of mine over even

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I record my own on my old mini cassette and put on a Monyy Python style women’s voice. Try it Clampy. I could send you one of mine over even

I’m not a Monty Python fan. How’s your Mrs Sloakum?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Yes and I said as much. But it is 'listening' for the wake word. If it works as intended, then it is NOT listening to anything else. By that I mean collecting data etc. Many phones are also now equipped the same way and so are many other devices.
It has to be listening to everything else, otherwise how would it hear the wake word?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You go inside and ask the shopkeeper 'how much for that coat?' He replies (in Welsh) 'for you 100'. A few seconds later you're out of the shop without the coat and he's nursing a broken nose..

Nice try but "For you, 100" (even allowing for the missing punt) would be "Am chi, un gant" as the shopkeeper would put the one in front of it and there's a soft mutation of c to g after the "am".

You could also ask Alexa, what's Welsh for five - and have neighbours think you're running a brothel

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here