Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Alexa.... bitch

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It has to be listening to everything else, otherwise how would it hear the wake word?

It is designed to collect the data and act upon the instruction/query once 'Alexa' is said. It is up to any individual as to whether they trust Amazon or not.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
...and once you didn't have a tablet, they were a gimmick........ and once you didn't have a mobile phone, they were......... :)

I get your point, but I just have enough to stay abreast without going over the top.
Apart from NSC, listening to music and work, I do not use technology for anything else much.
I have a tablet because it is hard to carry a desktop from site to site and I have a smartphone because all 3 of my perfectly usable at the time flip up phones died and I couldn’t make one up from the parts of all three, which were all same make and model but had all sustained on site damage, hence now I have a cheap Samsung J Pro, which is more than adequate.
I do have friends who use phones, watches and even rings to pay for things and it makes me chuckle when they do this as they always look around to check who is watching.
They are welcome to this if it makes them feel good and happy.
I have a decent van for work, but would much rather potter about in this, says it all really.
I have tried to attach a picture of my 1977 Ford Fairlane ZH Marquis to this but it doesn’t seem to want to know
, oh well.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You must be able to find something more constructive to do until August shirley!!!!????

:lolol:

Sorry buts that’s more important than a silly rumour about one of our non existent signings. I’m working on other welsh translations you know I’m not being idle Pearl.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Alexa is moving into healthcare. From the new book 'Bezonomics', reviewed in The Times:

"She" has begun using NHS website information to answer health queries. Soon you will be able to use Amazon Video for a GP consultation, which Alexa will book for you after hearing you cough and sneeze. Amazon has filed a patent for Alexa to pick up the sound of sniffles.

I can hear the tin foil hats being pulled on now :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Alexa is moving into healthcare. From the new book 'Bezonomics', reviewed in The Times:

"She" has begun using NHS website information to answer health queries. Soon you will be able to use Amazon Video for a GP consultation, which Alexa will book for you after hearing you cough and sneeze. Amazon has filed a patent for Alexa to pick up the sound of sniffles.

I can hear the tin foil hats being pulled on now :lolol:

I won't have one of those gizmo's in the house, I can turn up me own music volume thanks.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I won't have one of those gizmo's in the house, I can turn up me own music volume thanks.

As you said on page one of this thread about a year ago :lolol:

Alexa is far more useful than just a music source. I recently had an argument with my missus who insisted Clint Eastwood was dead. One quick simple question barked out to my little black Pringles Princess, and I was wearing a satisfied grin for the remainder of the evening. You just can't BUY that.

(Well, you can. And its so worth it)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
As you said on page one of this thread about a year ago :lolol:

Alexa is far more useful than just a music source. I recently had an argument with my missus who insisted Clint Eastwood was dead. One quick simple question barked out to my little black Pringles Princess, and I was wearing a satisfied grin for the remainder of the evening. You just can't BUY that.

(Well, you can. And its so worth it)

I've just picked up an Echo in the last few weeks. What a brilliant device, so much more than just something to stream music on. I now don't even have to waste my time getting up to do something as trivial as turning on a light. If only it could feed my grapes I could live my life like Hedonismbot from Futurama.

Seriously though being able to program things like lights to come on and off has helped massively with the bedtime routine for my autistic son (he really struggled previous years when the evenings started getting lighter so the light is a good visual trigger for him and he will start the bedtime routine himself). Plus the landing light outside his room can now be red when he goes to bed which is his favourite colour and then change to white when the others go to bed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've just picked up an Echo in the last few weeks. What a brilliant device, so much more than just something to stream music on. I now don't even have to waste my time getting up to do something as trivial as turning on a light. If only it could feed my grapes I could live my life like Hedonismbot from Futurama.

Seriously though being able to program things like lights to come on and off has helped massively with the bedtime routine for my autistic son (he really struggled previous years when the evenings started getting lighter so the light is a good visual trigger for him and he will start the bedtime routine himself). Plus the landing light outside his room can now be red when he goes to bed which is his favourite colour and then change to white when the others go to bed.

She truly is a force for good as well as evil.

Must admit I've not bothered linking it up to lightswitches etc, but as a casual easy source of instant info it can't be beat IMO, basically a verbal Google. Its also great fun leaving drunken abusive late night messages on your friends Alexa questioning their masculinity, for them to wake up to and listen to in the morning.

Its also my radio. And as a music source, the novelty never wears off just wandering into a room and asking for a song, album or genre to be played. Quite exceptional, as dear old Ray would say.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
We have two Alexas and use them all the time. We start in the morning with an alarm, then command her to put the kettle on. This is followe by what’s up Alexa to get a run down of the news . Throughout the day we play any radio stations from anywhere in the world or any music we fancy from Amazon unlimited plus weather reports, traffic, cinema locally , recipes. At night we turn off appliances on standby. If anyone wants to listen to two pensioners talk then they are welcome .

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
My Alexa alarm would not snooze this morning. I either got up without snoozing then pulled the plug on Alexa or I pulled the plug on Alexa and then barely got up in time for work. You guess which.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Explains why the tosser wouldn’t play any music for me this morning. I don’t feel bad for calling an inanimate object a **** now.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
we have them everywhere (we have 4 shows and a couple of dots) and they are all down today. wife is blaming me, amazon, sky (router) and Meatloaf in that order

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I had to manually turn on my lights this morning, instead of telling her to do it!!!!

Outrageous!!! Barber Out!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here