Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Alexa.... bitch

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I see someone else has put an Alexa thread up and all I can say is get it and then ask the question.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't have Alexa so I can't.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Asked her this the other day and my Mrs was drunk and though Alexa was broken :lol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I won't have one in the house, would you let your next door neighbour listen in to EVERY conversation you have in your house ? And, if you thought that was ok, would you allow a $1 trillion American company access to those conversations too ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I won't have one in the house, would you let your next door neighbour listen in to EVERY conversation you have in your house ? And, if you thought that was ok, would you allow a $1 trillion American company access to those conversations too ?

You believe that Google/Alexa listen all the time.

If they are telling the truth - big if, then the 'listening all the time' is simply sensitivity towards the hotwords 'Alexa' or 'Okay Google'. At the point of activation, then yes these companies 'listen' to everything we say, but that is wholly different to 'listening to everything we say'.

Out of interest, do you carefully cover your tracks each time you surf the web etc, as I can't see much difference in the data between instructions/searches online or through an assistant.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You believe that Google/Alexa listen all the time.

If they are telling the truth - big if, then the 'listening all the time' is simply sensitivity towards the hotwords 'Alexa' or 'Okay Google'. At the point of activation, then yes these companies 'listen' to everything we say, but that is wholly different to 'listening to everything we say'.

Out of interest, do you carefully cover your tracks each time you surf the web etc, as I can't see much difference in the data between instructions/searches online or through an assistant.

Alexa is constantly listening out for " Alexa " so, you have a microphone on in the room. This is owned by a massive corporation geared up to selling me stuff I may want ahead of rivals.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Alexa is constantly listening out for " Alexa " so, you have a microphone on in the room. This is owned by a massive corporation geared up to selling me stuff I may want ahead of rivals.

Yes and I said as much. But it is 'listening' for the wake word. If it works as intended, then it is NOT listening to anything else. By that I mean collecting data etc. Many phones are also now equipped the same way and so are many other devices.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

I don't have a problem with it because I'm really no more important than the millions of others with Alexa. Anyway, most of the words she hears in my house are from the TV, especially Juanita watching EastEnders, so they probably think I live the life of Phil Mitchell.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't have a problem with it because I'm really no more important than the millions of others with Alexa. Anyway, most of the words she hears in my house are from the TV, especially Juanita watching EastEnders, so they probably think I live the life of Phil Mitchell.

At least you will get a decent deal on coke and shooters then.:thumbsup:

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
If I had anything to say that I didn’t want the Americans, the Chinese or FIFA to hear then I wouldn’t have one. I have 7.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
The Welsh 100 has been popular in the office for a while

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I have the facility ............ but the the intervention of that kind of nonsense in my sanctum sanctorum is not desirable.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here