Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Another VAR Thread

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Another controversial one for the USA. Ball played into the middle to a player clearly offside Defender forced to stretch and the ball falls to player on the right who crosses and deflection takes it past the keeper. Offside player didn't touch the ball but she was going for a ball that was clearly played towards her. Still, it is the US so who's going to deny them?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My initial reaction when I first heard about VAR was “ great, this will make things so much better”. Now I’m thinking I’ll never be able celebrate a goal without first looking at the linesman (which I’ve done forever) and now potentially having to wait for VAR too. It’s gonna put a real damper on my spontaneous joy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not sure about the latest statement by the Premier League as on the one hand I can see what they are saying but on the other hand if using VAR it should be used to the full not pick and chose what aspects it should govern.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My initial reaction when I first heard about VAR was “ great, this will make things so much better”. Now I’m thinking I’ll never be able celebrate a goal without first looking at the linesman (which I’ve done forever) and now potentially having to wait for VAR too. It’s gonna put a real damper on my spontaneous joy.

I know what you're saying but it is still very new. I suspect there will be a number of tweaks to the rules, for example the PL have already said that they won't review it for keepers moving off their line. I suspect the handball rule will change because it will be ridiculous if they give penalties when it hits your arm from inches away (unless of course you're flailing your arms around to create a bigger block!).

The stupidity is that FIFA are using the womens world cup as a testing ground which is probably a bit demeaning. These rules should have been tested during the domestics leagues in the year before the world cup. It's as ludicrous as when they used to introduce a new lightweight ball at world cups when players and keepers hadn't had the opportunity to get used to them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I am not sure about the latest statement by the Premier League as on the one hand I can see what they are saying but on the other hand if using VAR it should be used to the full not pick and chose what aspects it should govern.

But it has never been intended to use for every decision, eg fouls, throw ins and corners!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry I meant for every aspect of the giving of a penalty from the moment it is given to the moment it is either scored or missed and the game resumed. ie take into account GK moving and encroachment etc. as per the Scotland game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here