Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Another VAR Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I suspect we are going to see large numbers retaken this season due to either the keeper moving and/or player encroachment (which has rarely ever been punished before, and apparently is going to be looked at by VAR upon each penalty given).

The only time I can ever remember seeing a penalty re-taken for encroachment was in a game against Manchester City at the Goldstone, it was the only time Alan Curbishley missed a penalty for us - he didn't miss the re-take though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
One thing I'd like clarified however is this. Encroachment. If the defending players encroach and the attacker fails to score then the pen is retaken. If the attacking players encroach I don't ever recall the ref signaling for a free kick on the edge of the area to the defending team. Why not? I have a feeling that if the attacking team encroaches and the pen is scored then it is retaken. That doesn't seem right....

Encroachment is only acted upon if only one team are guilty of it. In almost all cases, players from BOTH teams have encroached so the ref adjudges it 'neutral'. It doesn't matter how FAR in the box they are, either - just that they are.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm loving that VAR is being used differently all over the shop.

Inadvertent handball in Womens World Cup = penalty. Inadvertent handball in the Copa = no penalty.
Keeper moves off line in Womens World Cup = penalty retaken. Keeper moves off line in Premier League = no retake.

Lovely stuff. Good to know where we all stand (and if we can move).

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Mt.jpg

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Easy to persuade players not to encroach on a penalty - yellow card for every player who does.
Same for the keeper, first offence yellow, do it again on the retake then hand the gloves to a chum as you make your way back to the dressing room.
Law abiding team-mates will turn on their own cheating team mates - like the chumps who still remove their shirt when they score ...

Discipline will only come with punishment.

Bit like speed cameras - now you know you will be caught and punished so many more don't offend ....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
??? I doubt it.

Well, with that level of detail in your reply it’s hard to know why you think that but I think you’re wrong. Remember I didn’t say it was the only reason as that would be silly. Merely that we would have analysed it.

We’ve known for a while that VAR is coming in so if we’ve NOT analysed trends in the number of penalties to shots / crosses or if we’ve not done video analysis on Dunk and Duffy’s blocks then I’d say we’ve been remiss. Given how much TB loves and trusts data I’d like to think this has been done.

While (for me), the last 5 months of last season, a desire to use more youth, a desire (maybe Ashworth driven) to attack more and play out from the back are more important it absolutely stands to reason that under VAR, the more time you spend in your opponents area and the less in your own, the better your chances of getting penalties and not conceding them. VAR is not defensive football’s friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The only time I can ever remember seeing a penalty re-taken for encroachment was in a game against Manchester City at the Goldstone, it was the only time Alan Curbishley missed a penalty for us - he didn't miss the re-take though.

Ah, you weren't around for infamous FA Cup match against Palace - the Challis match. There's a game that still raises hackles 43 years later

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Watching the Holland v Canada game, and there's a 1st minute penalty awarded to Canada. The ball is on the spot, but then before its taken, there's a VAR review which eventually decides its a free kick outside the box.

I timed it. From the ref blowing for the pen, the whole review taking place, and the free kick being taken took 3mins 51 secs. Basically then, a 4 minute stoppage.

Lets see how much they add on at the end.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Keepers need to adjust what they do (I'm a keeper and can see it is going to be really difficult, but they'll learn).
In terms of the encroachment, if we concede a penalty, it needs to be utterly drilled into our players NOT to step an inch into the box as it is taken. The other team WILL encroach, and any scored penalty will have to be retaken.

I don't think this is true. On Fox Sports' coverage of the Women's World Cup they have a FIFA referee as part of their coverage and she said the other day that encroachment will only be penalised if the player(s) concerned become active in the play. This also seems to be confirmed by the BBC article highlighted elsewhere on this thread:-

What are the new rules?

The goalkeeper must have one of his/her feet partly on the goalline (or above it if jumping) when the kick is taken. They cannot stand behind or in front of the line.

The VAR can only penalise "encroachment by an attacker or defender who becomes directly involved in play if the penalty kick rebounds from the goalpost, crossbar or goalkeeper".

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Attackers scooping the ball onto the arm of the defender in the box will, I think, become a deliberate tactic. I've lost count of the number of penalties being awarded now for totally inadvertent handballs. If the ball touches any part of the arm, or is deflected onto it, then 9 times out of 10 its being given now regardless of how far its travelled. Now that they've removed the "intent" aspect, its open season.

If VAR is applied the way it is being used in this World Cup, the way Dunk and Duffy defend with their bollocks, we are going to concede shedloads.

Yeah, but Murray scores with his cock?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Watching the Holland v Canada game, and there's a 1st minute penalty awarded to Canada. The ball is on the spot, but then before its taken, there's a VAR review which eventually decides its a free kick outside the box.

I timed it. From the ref blowing for the pen, the whole review taking place, and the free kick being taken took 3mins 51 secs. Basically then, a 4 minute stoppage.

Lets see how much they add on at the end.

3 minutes stoppage time added on.

The VAR stoppage at the start of the game took 4 minutes alone. There's been a couple of bookings, another free kick with a wall setup that took about a minute. I'd say we lost at least 6 minutes there, but only 3 given.

Longer games then, but shorter gametime.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
3 minutes stoppage time added on.

The VAR stoppage at the start of the game took 4 minutes alone. There's been a couple of bookings, another free kick with a wall setup that took about a minute. I'd say we lost at least 6 minutes there, but only 3 given.

Longer games then, but shorter gametime.

I've said it many times on here - keeping time is the one bloody thing that is dead easy for refs. Whilst everything else is more or less subjective, ALL they have to do is stop their watch and start it again with any breaks in play. It really is no more complicated than that and I will never understand how they find it so difficult. Especially with the 4th official to help if they need it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've said it many times on here - keeping time is the one bloody thing that is dead easy for refs. Whilst everything else is more or less subjective, ALL they have to do is stop their watch and start it again with any breaks in play. It really is no more complicated than that and I will never understand how they find it so difficult. Especially with the 4th official to help if they need it.

I'm starting to think its deliberate, because the amount of delays VAR is causing is becoming embarrassing. So rather than be honest and add the 6-8 minutes at the end of the half, or whatever the VAR delays has contributed, they'd prefer to keep it to a more "normal" level and pretend its not been much of a factor.

Look at that Scotland game last night. 6 minutes added on - the VAR checking ALONE during that 2nd half took 6+ minutes, just look at the stats. It went to review on 87, the penalty was "scored" in the 93rd after the VAR retake decision. 6 goals, 4 bookings, 3 substitutions, numerous stoppages. There should've been 11 minutes, quite easily. But nope, that "looks bad", so we just lose a chunk of time from the game instead.

Its a shambles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here