Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Members

Another VAR Thread

0 Not allowed!
    This time tactics.

Iím beginning to think VAR will change football so fundamentally that different tactics may be needed by coaches, players etc
    1. Hoof that ball out of the area ASAP. Donít pussyfoot around trying to play the ball out

2. Extensions to the back heel of goalkeepers boots to keep their feet legal on the line

Anything else?
    Old Truelove ain't too hard to find

• North Stand Chat

advertising

WEST STAND ANDY

0 Not allowed!
      Having seen the Argentina womens VAR penalty re-take last night against Scotland (correct by the letter of the law) I've done a bit of digging regarding last year's Premier League penalties awarded.

Apparently of the 103 given in the Premier League last season, under the new VAR rules (keeper not having 1 foot on or above the line, or encroachment by an attacking player at the point of the kick being taken), 93 of them would have to have been re-taken! Only 10 were legitimate if the rules imposed this coming season were to be have been used last season!

I suspect we are going to see large numbers retaken this season due to either the keeper moving and/or player encroachment (which has rarely ever been punished before, and apparently is going to be looked at by VAR upon each penalty given).

It's going to be a whole new ball game next season methinks.

0 Not allowed!
      Does the goalkeeper have to be actually on the line, or is 'behind the line' okay? I think that keepers will change their starting position to 50cm behind so that their forward momentum means that they are still legal as the kick is taken if the latter is correct.

Penalty shoot outs are going to finish at midnight if the rules are followed as they were last night.

Perhaps it's time for a new pitch marking, 1m in front of the line. The keeper must be on the goal line as the run up starts and must not cross the 1m line at any point during the taking of the penalty.
      A tad aggressive.

1 Not allowed!
      I think we’ll see a LOT of penalties over the first couple of weeks of the season.

Bet 365 have most teams at around 7/1 to score a penalty on the opening day of the season. There’s certainly some money to be had there with a couple of Yankee bets.
      If you're past 25 and you're still doing gang
      Youíre known as a artefact

Kwengface - Fire In The Booth

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by mune ni kamome View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      This time tactics.

Iím beginning to think VAR will change football so fundamentally that different tactics may be needed by coaches, players etc
      1. Hoof that ball out of the area ASAP. Donít pussyfoot around trying to play the ball out

2. Extensions to the back heel of goalkeepers boots to keep their feet legal on the line

Anything else?
      Iíve been saying this all summer, but tactics will inevitably change in favour of attackers. Youíre more likely to be awarded a penalty now and more likely to score from it.

Weíve picked the perfect time to change focus. How many of those amazing Dunk & Duffy blocks do you reckon brushed an arm or hand at some point? And VAR should mean more crosses and shots which wasnít our strong point last season.

Knowing how we analyse every bit of data Iím sure this would have been part of the weighing up process over GP v CH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
      Perhaps it's time for a new pitch marking, 1m in front of the line. The keeper must be on the goal line as the run up starts and must not cross the 1m line at any point during the taking of the penalty.
      Or just bin VAR?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bry Nylon View Post
      Or just bin VAR?
      I think that horse has bolted.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bry Nylon View Post
      Or just bin VAR?
      This is what is needed.
      If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......
      WEST STAND ANDY

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
      Does the goalkeeper have to be actually on the line, or is 'behind the line' okay? I think that keepers will change their starting position to 50cm behind so that their forward momentum means that they are still legal as the kick is taken if the latter is correct.

Penalty shoot outs are going to finish at midnight if the rules are followed as they were last night.

The keeper has to have one foot either on or above the line (behind would be ok) according to the new definitions at the point of the ball being struck.

My worry is that based on the stats mentioned earlier I can see teams scoring a penalty and then having to wait 30 seconds before celebrating for a VAR check to be carried out. Will ruin the spontaneity slightly for me.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I do t get the complaining. Goalies charging down pens has irritated me for years. Reina at Liverpool was a master at being on his six yard line for pens. It is just like the no ball rule in cricket. It is a line, it is easy to check so stay behind it. Goalies will simply change what they do.

I remember when the no picking up back pass rule came in and people worried there would be loads of incidents a game. There were not.

The teams in the World Cup were all told the rules so wtf are they doing?