Because what you reap, is what you sow.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by mejonaNO12 aka riskit View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      AND ANOTHER THING.

This POXY VAR nonsense has now meant that LINESPEOPLE are now TOO SCARED to raise their BLOODY FLAG until 'conclusion' of the 'phase'.

It's INSANE. You have players MILES offside.....looking at the linesman who isn't daring to raise their flag...and then the player proceeds to think "****, maybe I am onside!", then runs to the ball....and then the idiot linesman raises the flag!

Kill it. Kill it in the head.
      I thought that the other night when a player from Argentina was miles off side and the lino kept her flag down , to whit everyone starts to rush towards the ball...the argie gets there first by a hairsbreath and the Lino sticks her fecking flag up for something that happened ages ago.

Bye that time everyone stopped and argued the toss!

Madness
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by brightn'ove View Post

So we now have one set of rules for a competition and one set for a league game!

This is just farcical
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Publius Ovidius View Post
      So we now have one set of rules for a competition and one set for a league game!

This is just farcical
      Well, it's the same rules, just enforced differently. The same as it has always been. "That is a foul in europe" etc.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by brightn'ove View Post
      Well, it's the same rules, just enforced differently. The same as it has always been. "That is a foul in europe" etc.
      It’s a different set of rules in all but name. Bit like saying players can be offside, just no linesman there to flag
      “Everything about this looks wrong. The run-up is too long, too straight, and you know it’s going over the bar ... it goes over the bar, and Brighton have stolen a trip to Wembley! That is an absolute burglary! And that is the FA Cup!”

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Juan Albion View Post
      Well, that might be an exaggeration but it's getting a bit like that.

I've just been watching a fairly mediocre game between Argentina and Paraguay. Not a great game but that isn't what got to me. I just don't like the way the game is being messed about with.

With Paraguay winning 1-0 five minutes after half-time, Aguerro pulls the ball back to Martinez and the Argie gets off a shot which hits the bar. The rebound comes to Messi, whose shot is well saved by the goalie, who pushes it round the post for a corner.

I timed what happened next. We have 58 seconds of Messi lining up to take the corner and the ref sorting out the players pushing in the box as per usual at a corner. After the 58 seconds, the ref sticks his finger in his ear and indicates to Messi to wait on the corner. No-one seems to have a clue what is going on, certainly not the commentator or the crowd, who are whistling. But the ref is clearly talking to the VAR folks.

Then, 2 minutes and 7 seconds after the shot, the ref indicates he's going to look at the VAR screen.

A minute later, he comes back and signals penalty to the Argies and gives a yellow card to a defender for handball. Slow motion replays are highly inconclusive in my view. If the shot from Martinez did brush his arm it caused no spin on the ball as far as I could see,so must have been the tiniest of touches.

Then, more than five minutes after the incident, Messi steps up and scores the penalty he never even appealed for.

To add to my discontent, a few minutes later, a Paraguay forward was chopped down in the box and a penalty was given without need for VAR. Yet there was no yellow card to the offender. So you get a yellow card for a handball no-one saw and which certainly was in no way deliberate, but no card for a deliberate foul in the penalty area. Makes no sense to me.

The Paraguay penalty is then well-saved by the Argie goalie, but I half expected VAR to announce a few minutes later that the goalie's heel was 2mm off the line when the ball was kicked - didn't happen.

What has happened to football? It used to be common sense and it was clear to everyone what was going on. Not any more. This season is going to be horrible, thanks to VAR.
      Sorry if it’s been covered but how much stoppage time was added on?
      Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, that’s it. We have done it.

Inigo Calderon
      May 2016
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
      Jesus wept.

VAR just reinforces the rules.

You bunch of luddites!
      This.

Am I watching Brighton or Barcelona?

0 Not allowed!
      What I advocated a long time ago is for FIFA to have paid a minor European league to be the guinea pig for a season-long trial of VAR where all of the glitches could have been ironed out over a large number of matches.

They could have paid £24 million to - say - the SPL in Scotland - so £2 million per club - and applied VAR over all the 228 matches. By the end of the season over that many matches they would have encounter 95%+of the problems it is possible to encounter with VAR, then they could roll it out across the world.
      "Unlawful, void and of no effect"

0 Not allowed!
      Foul throws, penalties scored but recalled because of attacking player encroachment (and vice versa), offside by a millimetre, plus monitoring the new rules that add absolutely nothing to the game. The whole VAR thing is a bloody mess caused by bureaucrats trying to justify their existence. Too many associations trying to impose their own agendas. Too much money. Yep, it’s moved on from being a funny old game, but not in the right direction.

0 Not allowed!
      I still think VAR was the right way to go but based on rectifying clear and obvious errors.

We're now getting decisions overturned on wafer-thin evidence, not only that but the more precise you try and become the longer it takes the officials to reach a decision. The Scotland-Argentina match the other night was VAR at its worst, a veritable officiating nightmare.

Cricket has VAR but still has umpire's call. Rugby Union has VAR but doesn't try to adjudicate on borderline forward passes. These sports get it and it is about time FIFA adopted some best practice to preserve the integrity of football.
      "Unlawful, void and of no effect"