Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Palacefinder General View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funnily enough I was recently thinking about football having a 'Glastonbury style' year/whole season off every once in a while. I honestly believe it'd be less missed than you'd think, passions rekindled and all that when it returned. Obviously it wouldn't work for many reasons, but...
    I once had a year off at Withdean after the Dean Wilkins year, living a distance away and doing shifts had made the football such hard work. Didnt miss it as much as I thought. Loved coming back excited about football again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      It will sort itself out, it’s barely noticed in leagues where it has been used for a while. Next season will have some teething pains but it will be fine, either that or we go down and don’t have to worry about it

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sensible View Post
      Totally agree, the Brazil v Venezuela game was also a VAR farce. Although maybe that’s what happens when you put VAR at the hands of idiot South American officials.
      However, all the signs here in the UK, is that the premier league won’t have the silly TV screen and that VAR ref is more conservatively used. I also like the rugby style VAR ref we will see. Var ref makes the decision after the check. It won’t be perfect, but it will be better than the Coppa America.
      My biggest concern isn’t the technology, but rather the people using it. Used ONLY for clear and obvious mistakes it makes sense, even if the game becomes slightly slower. However, in big tournaments it has been totally misused. It will only ever be as good as the officials and we’ve all complained about them since the game first started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

6 Not allowed!
      Football has never really worried about the fans experience, and this is just a further extension of it.

There is no reason why VAR cannot inform the fans of what is going on far better than it is. Use the scoreboard, mic up the officials and the VAR officials .... just for once in your lives football, look at how other sports have dealt with things.

But none of this is new. Probably half a dozen times a game in each of the 1,000+ games I've been to in my life, I've uttered or shouted in fury, the phrase "what the f*** has he given there? What was that even FOR ref?" We've never klnown what was going on, and football has never seen the need to inform us.
      "I looked straight across to Graham Turner and their whole bench was in tears."

1 Not allowed!
      Hope you didn't catch the end of the Scotland Argentina game in the Women's World Cup...

A goalkeeper now has very little chance of saving a penalty unless it's struck straight at them.

Referee played five minutes of additional time even though VAR took a lot longer than that.
      Not my face! I'm doing a photoshoot for Vision Express

0 Not allowed!
      Jesus wept.

VAR just reinforces the rules.

You bunch of luddites!

Either that wallpaper goes or I do

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      My biggest concern isn’t the technology, but rather the people using it. Used ONLY for clear and obvious mistakes it makes sense, even if the game becomes slightly slower. However, in big tournaments it has been totally misused. It will only ever be as good as the officials and we’ve all complained about them since the game first started

This. It was to be used for “clear and obvious errors” only. IE absolute howlers, ghost goals and the like.

I have no issue with VAR itself, but it is being woefully mis/overused by many.

Agreed with an above comment also, saw it used in a Belgian league game to very good effect.
      Last edited by Mellotron; 20-06-2019 at 07:57.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post

I thought that with jesse’s goal in the nations thing. He was given offside by var by the width of a bootlace. So what is the plus or minus range of where the technology is calibrated to? Even speed limit cameras are calibrated to plus or minus 2.

Are they that confident that they don’t need to put a range on it?
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Gull View Post
      Hope you didn't catch the end of the Scotland Argentina game in the Women's World Cup...

A goalkeeper now has very little chance of saving a penalty unless it's struck straight at them.

Referee played five minutes of additional time even though VAR took a lot longer than that.
      Yep instead of having a penalty they should just award a goal straight away if the keeper isn't allowed to be off the line by a millimetre.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      I agree with the OP's sentiments. I was watching the Scotland v Argentina game when the last few minutes descended into farce. Basically if you think VAR is improving football then you are a speccy nerd. Go back to stamp collecting where tiny differences are really important. Yes VAR may (may) mean that every decision is now 100% technically correct, but the boy the game is losing its magic.