Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 158
  1. #41
    AlecsGrandad
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    17,274


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by southstandandy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With cricket though, as the game is spread out over at least a whole day, reviews don't really delay the game that much. I accept VAR is coming in to football and we'll all eventually get used to it, but I think the days when the game finishes at 4.50pm (assuming a 3pm kick off) will be a thing of the past.

    Also when a goal is scored how far back will VAR go in the build up to that goal to check for a possible foul or infringement in the build up, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, up to the point the ball last went dead?
    Good question. In the Scotland game, as well as reviewing the Argentinian penalty they were apparently also going to see if there had been an offside in the build-up, thus negating the penalty claim. How far back should the review go?


    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #42
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Chandlers Ford
      Posts
      54,720


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Publius Ovidius View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The really crazy one is in athletics, where the sensors in the blocks are calibrated to a thousandth of a second and remember Ussain bolt being disqualified in the world championships when he was seen to react a tiny fraction of a second before the gun....the “ go on the B of bang! “
      The ASC system we use, is pretty foolproof. It measures the force / thrust, imparted by the athlete into the starting block, (during a window, from 0.3sec before the start signal, to 0.7sec after the start signal) and checks that against the precise moment of the start. If it is (even 0.001 secs) before the start, they are rightly disqualified. The rules of the sport don't allow you to anticipate / guess the start - you are supposed to react TO it.

      The system displays a graph for each lane, with the forces exerted, against the timebase - any false start is very clear.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.
    • #43
      Massive up 170417 LamieRobertson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      SHOREHAM BY SEA
      Posts
      30,636


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by southstandandy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      With cricket though, as the game is spread out over at least a whole day, reviews don't really delay the game that much. I accept VAR is coming in to football and we'll all eventually get used to it, but I think the days when the game finishes at 4.50pm (assuming a 3pm kick off) will be a thing of the past.

      Also when a goal is scored how far back will VAR go in the build up to that goal to check for a possible foul or infringement in the build up, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, up to the point the ball last went dead?
      Getting that train or buss for a midweek game could get tricker
    • #44
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Chandlers Ford
      Posts
      54,720


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I've not seen any of the Copa. But from what you say, it would seem the VAR interpretation of handball in the Copa is completely different to how its being interpreted in the womens World Cup.
      That wasn't my point. It was that the 'VAR interpretation of handball' was completely different in each of two Copa matches on the same night...!
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.
    • #45
      AlecsGrandad
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      17,274


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I've not seen any of the Copa. But from what you say, it would seem the VAR interpretation of handball in the Copa is completely different to how its being interpreted in the womens World Cup.

      I wonder which version of the rule they'll be using in the Premier League next season.
      As we suspected it's not being applied consistently. Also, whenever they show the VAR officials there's about five of them all staring at the TV screens. Apart from 'clear and obvious' (which is all it should be used for) they're NEVER going to agree, like the pundits never agree in the studio. (Former forwards always say it's a pen, defenders disagree). I bet half the VAR delays are whilst the VAR officials argue amongst themselves. If there's any disagreement they should let it pass and let the decision on the field of play stand.

    • #46
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Posts
      1,291


      0 Not allowed!
      Have just seen Argentina penalty. A joke. It never crossed any player or spectators mind that it was a penalty. Just about to take corner and somebody looking at a TV monitor makes a decision. Does anybody think that was spotting a clear and obvious error.
    • #47
      Brain dead MUG SHEEP Easy 10's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Location Location
      Posts
      55,460


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      That wasn't my point. It was that the 'VAR interpretation of handball' was completely different in each of two Copa matches on the same night...!
      Well, at least with VAR we'll finally get that consistency we all wanted...
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"
    • #48
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Location
      York
      Posts
      783


      0 Not allowed!
      Wait until a 10-10 penalty shoot-out. It will take as long as the game.
    • #49
      AlecsGrandad
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      17,274


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      No. The ref will then start using VAR as a crutch, instead of trusting his own judgement. In big, high-pressure games it would be human nature to check every big call - we'd end up with even MORE time-consuming delays.

      The theory of VAR is sound. The referee never calls for a review. He just referees the game as he normally would, makes all the decisions as usual, but VAR only gets involved if (in the opinion of the VAR) the ref has made a "clear and obvious error". I don't have a problem with that per-sé.

      Where its falling down is that its not being used to correct clear and obvious errors - its being used for almost every minor infringement if its led to a goal or a potential penalty. We're getting very marginal and debatable incidents being reviewed, in a quest for "perfection". This was not what it was supposed to have been brought in for, but it was absolutely inevitable and was predicted by many.

      VAR has and will fundamentally change the game we know, and not for the better IMO.
      Agreed. Criticising VAR is nothing to do with being a Luddite (we've embraced goalline technology because the application is simple and 100% consistent), it's because in its current implementation it's a ****ing shambles and is ruining the game.

      No doubt it will eventually settle down, at least I bloody hope so.

    • #50
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Chandlers Ford
      Posts
      54,720


      1 Not allowed!
      The part about the goalkeeping at penalties thing that has the biggest potential, for it all to descend into VARCE, is that when the keeper moves a foot off the line, the retake is accompanied by an unnecessary yellow card. If the Scotland keeper had saved the retake, and replays showed again that she's 6 inches forward, they've got to be consistent - that's a red, and another retake with an outfield player (or sub keeper) in goal.

      In a shoot-out it could be utter madness. Two saves - two tiny encroachments - two yellows = outfield player in goal for the rest of it.

      They will absolutely need to ditch the yellow. A retake is definitely a significant enough punishment for the offence.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •