Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I don't like football any more.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Well, that might be an exaggeration but it's getting a bit like that.

I've just been watching a fairly mediocre game between Argentina and Paraguay. Not a great game but that isn't what got to me. I just don't like the way the game is being messed about with.

With Paraguay winning 1-0 five minutes after half-time, Aguerro pulls the ball back to Martinez and the Argie gets off a shot which hits the bar. The rebound comes to Messi, whose shot is well saved by the goalie, who pushes it round the post for a corner.

I timed what happened next. We have 58 seconds of Messi lining up to take the corner and the ref sorting out the players pushing in the box as per usual at a corner. After the 58 seconds, the ref sticks his finger in his ear and indicates to Messi to wait on the corner. No-one seems to have a clue what is going on, certainly not the commentator or the crowd, who are whistling. But the ref is clearly talking to the VAR folks.

Then, 2 minutes and 7 seconds after the shot, the ref indicates he's going to look at the VAR screen.

A minute later, he comes back and signals penalty to the Argies and gives a yellow card to a defender for handball. Slow motion replays are highly inconclusive in my view. If the shot from Martinez did brush his arm it caused no spin on the ball as far as I could see,so must have been the tiniest of touches.

Then, more than five minutes after the incident, Messi steps up and scores the penalty he never even appealed for.

To add to my discontent, a few minutes later, a Paraguay forward was chopped down in the box and a penalty was given without need for VAR. Yet there was no yellow card to the offender. So you get a yellow card for a handball no-one saw and which certainly was in no way deliberate, but no card for a deliberate foul in the penalty area. Makes no sense to me.

The Paraguay penalty is then well-saved by the Argie goalie, but I half expected VAR to announce a few minutes later that the goalie's heel was 2mm off the line when the ball was kicked - didn't happen.

What has happened to football? It used to be common sense and it was clear to everyone what was going on. Not any more. This season is going to be horrible, thanks to VAR.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Totally agree, the Brazil v Venezuela game was also a VAR farce. Although maybe that’s what happens when you put VAR at the hands of idiot South American officials.
However, all the signs here in the UK, is that the premier league won’t have the silly TV screen and that VAR ref is more conservatively used. I also like the rugby style VAR ref we will see. Var ref makes the decision after the check. It won’t be perfect, but it will be better than the Coppa America.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Average players costing millions and living a rockstar life style whilst the average fan can’t afford to go to every game puts me off big time.

Stumpy Tim

Average players costing millions and living a rockstar life style whilst the average fan can’t afford to go to every game puts me off big time.

I don't really understand why people get put off football by player wages. As long as they're putting the effort in on the pitch, why does it matter?

VAR, on the other hand, is a threat to the game. There should be rules on it, such as the captain of each team is the only person allowed to ask for VAR, and they lose the option if they are wrong once or twice

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Funnily enough I was recently thinking about football having a 'Glastonbury style' year/whole season off every once in a while. I honestly believe it'd be less missed than you'd think, passions rekindled and all that when it returned. Obviously it wouldn't work for many reasons, but...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i fail to understand why VAR has not had a time limit applied. perfect illustration, if theres something to review, ref should be notified and decide within a minute tops, 30sec perferably. and if in doubt err to no action. i thought the point was to cover things the ref missed at speed of the game, not hunt for minor unnoticed incidents that its not possible to see without technical aid. will ruin the game.

cards are just inconsistent, same as it ever was.

Green Gull

Feb 25, 2018
We will all find out first-hand next season how VAR is going to affect the state of top flight football in this country.
Whilst I think it's works well in many situations, I also feel it's taken a lot of the drama from the moment to moment goings on during a match. Every time a goal is scored will now be tinged with a sense of 'will it' 'wont it' be given as we wait for VAR decisions to be verified......
It's' going to be interesting and I'm sure they'll be some pure moments of elation which are then overruled by officials. I'm not a fan of this but how else can it be done? They need to speed up the checking process that's for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Funnily enough I was recently thinking about football having a 'Glastonbury style' year/whole season off every once in a while. I honestly believe it'd be less missed than you'd think, passions rekindled and all that when it returned. Obviously it wouldn't work for many reasons, but...
I once had a year off at Withdean after the Dean Wilkins year, living a distance away and doing shifts had made the football such hard work. Didnt miss it as much as I thought. Loved coming back excited about football again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It will sort itself out, it’s barely noticed in leagues where it has been used for a while. Next season will have some teething pains but it will be fine, either that or we go down and don’t have to worry about it :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Totally agree, the Brazil v Venezuela game was also a VAR farce. Although maybe that’s what happens when you put VAR at the hands of idiot South American officials.
However, all the signs here in the UK, is that the premier league won’t have the silly TV screen and that VAR ref is more conservatively used. I also like the rugby style VAR ref we will see. Var ref makes the decision after the check. It won’t be perfect, but it will be better than the Coppa America.

My biggest concern isn’t the technology, but rather the people using it. Used ONLY for clear and obvious mistakes it makes sense, even if the game becomes slightly slower. However, in big tournaments it has been totally misused. It will only ever be as good as the officials and we’ve all complained about them since the game first started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Football has never really worried about the fans experience, and this is just a further extension of it.

There is no reason why VAR cannot inform the fans of what is going on far better than it is. Use the scoreboard, mic up the officials and the VAR officials .... just for once in your lives football, look at how other sports have dealt with things.

But none of this is new. Probably half a dozen times a game in each of the 1,000+ games I've been to in my life, I've uttered or shouted in fury, the phrase "what the f*** has he given there? What was that even FOR ref?" We've never klnown what was going on, and football has never seen the need to inform us.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Hope you didn't catch the end of the Scotland Argentina game in the Women's World Cup...

A goalkeeper now has very little chance of saving a penalty unless it's struck straight at them.

Referee played five minutes of additional time even though VAR took a lot longer than that.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Jesus wept.

VAR just reinforces the rules.

You bunch of luddites!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My biggest concern isn’t the technology, but rather the people using it. Used ONLY for clear and obvious mistakes it makes sense, even if the game becomes slightly slower. However, in big tournaments it has been totally misused. It will only ever be as good as the officials and we’ve all complained about them since the game first started

This. It was to be used for “clear and obvious errors” only. IE absolute howlers, ghost goals and the like.

I have no issue with VAR itself, but it is being woefully mis/overused by many.

Agreed with an above comment also, saw it used in a Belgian league game to very good effect.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

I thought that with jesse’s goal in the nations thing. He was given offside by var by the width of a bootlace. So what is the plus or minus range of where the technology is calibrated to? Even speed limit cameras are calibrated to plus or minus 2.

Are they that confident that they don’t need to put a range on it?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Hope you didn't catch the end of the Scotland Argentina game in the Women's World Cup...

A goalkeeper now has very little chance of saving a penalty unless it's struck straight at them.

Referee played five minutes of additional time even though VAR took a lot longer than that.

Yep instead of having a penalty they should just award a goal straight away if the keeper isn't allowed to be off the line by a millimetre.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I agree with the OP's sentiments. I was watching the Scotland v Argentina game when the last few minutes descended into farce. Basically if you think VAR is improving football then you are a speccy nerd. Go back to stamp collecting where tiny differences are really important. Yes VAR may (may) mean that every decision is now 100% technically correct, but the boy the game is losing its magic.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here