Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wan Bissaka to Man Utd - £55m transfer fee agreed.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
They lost £30m last season so surely this transfer goes to balancing the books?

You know full well that's not how they do things.

They'll spunk it on dross, build up mounting debts and then diddle their creditors. That's "the Crystal Palace way".

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I literally have no understanding of a players value anymore.

I'm gone, I'm lost, I can't even speculate on transfers anymore. I'll rock up next season and who we have and how much we paid is just what it is. I can't get my head around it anymore.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
It’s all very well slagging off Palace and mocking where the money is going but they have produced youth team players who have developed and are now worth a lot of money.

Where are ours?

Wan- Bissaka and Zaha are ex Palace youth who are worth more than our entire squad put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said . A sad day for me but top players will be sought by the big clubs and the money on offer can’t be turned down , it’s insane. Now we have our academy site secured I hope some of it will be invested into our great academy to produce the next Arron and Wilf . The only bit of grace with losing Arron is that Wilf will stay now and imo he’s irreplaceable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like it or not, we currently exist in the rarified football stratosphere where Harry Firkin Maguire is apparently worth 90 million quid. Big ask for TB to step up to that level of fantasy football spending with his personal real money. Horrible cycle to get caught up in. At what point do you say enough's enough?
I think you're being a bit of a ploppyhead grandstanding to the fans like that.

But at least you're not being as stupid as the 'buy first team players' nimrods.

The club are not, never have been, and won't for a long time be in competition with Utd for buying players.

The reason the club has bought property in South America and Africa is because the club is competing with X others clubs in supplying the likes of Manchester Utd with their next 50 - 75 - 100 million pound transfer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well said . A sad day for me but top players will be sought by the big clubs and the money on offer can’t be turned down , it’s insane. Now we have our academy site secured I hope some of it will be invested into our great academy to produce the next Arron and Wilf . The only bit of grace with losing Arron is that Wilf will stay now and imo he’s irreplaceable.

Surely the 'grace' is that the kid is (as of NOW) bang average, and United are paying you an absolute fortune for a player you won't even miss?

Massive WIN for Palace, imo.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Palace have mugged off Man Utd. He was absolutely shocking in the under 21’s game last night and was poor in both matches against us. He has good tackling stats for the season but a lot of that is down to him being constantly caught out of position.

Disagree, he is a good player. Not worth that sort of money of course, but then who is?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

So we have had our academy for 4/5 years now and not producing top players but you got some land and once you've built the academy you will start producing talent?

Who is the next up and coming talent already in your "great academy"?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
So we have had our academy for 4/5 years now and not producing top players but you got some land and once you've built the academy you will start producing talent?

Who is the next up and coming talent already in your "great academy"?

The problem they have is that until they have a level 1 academy, their best products will get picked off for peanuts before they get anywhere near the first team.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That seems like an awful lot of money for someone who, every time I've seen him, at least, has been fairly average. There are enough people who don't have my anti-place bias however who seem to rate him highly so I guess there must be something there. But still, 55m!

South London (or at least south of the river) seems to be a very fertile breeding ground for football players at the moment. It's a good thing that Palace haven't sorted their shit out yet otherwise they might have had a team full of top quality youngsters: Jadon Sancho, Joe Gomez, Ademola Lookman, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Loftus-Cheek, Chalobah and Ryan Sessegnon are all from south of the river.

If they sort their academy and training facilities out they could get a lot of those players to swap Chelsea/whoever for them due to the much greater first team opportunities. Luckily they seem hell bent on being a comedy club run by spivs and clowns with no ability to plan for the future.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That seems like an awful lot of money for someone who, every time I've seen him, at least, has been fairly average. There are enough people who don't have my anti-place bias however who seem to rate him highly so I guess there must be something there. But still, 55m!

South London (or at least south of the river) seems to be a very fertile breeding ground for football players at the moment. It's a good thing that Palace haven't sorted their shit out yet otherwise they might have had a team full of top quality youngsters: Jadon Sancho, Joe Gomez, Ademola Lookman, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Loftus-Cheek, Chalobah and Ryan Sessegnon are all from south of the river.

The Albion have a satellite academy in South London / Kent...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

If they sort their academy and training facilities out they could get a lot of those players to swap Chelsea/whoever for them due to the much greater first team opportunities. Luckily they seem hell bent on being a comedy club run by spivs and clowns with no ability to plan for the future.

You forgot Samuel Edozie at Millwall. - Only 16 years old and already everyone after him

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The Albion have a satellite academy in South London / Kent...

do we? That's brilliant. After buying Pompey's best player it would really, really be magnificent if we then started nicking all the kids that should be palace's.

You forgot Samuel Edozie at Millwall. - Only 16 years old and already everyone after him

I'd like to say that I forgot him but unfortunately I've not heard of him. If he's a wonder kid from south London and he's not one of Palace's I'm all for him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Like it or not, we currently exist in the rarified football stratosphere where Harry Firkin Maguire is apparently worth 90 million quid. Big ask for TB to step up to that level of fantasy football spending with his personal real money. Horrible cycle to get caught up in. At what point do you say enough's enough?
This post (save the names and precise number) could have been made 20 years ago.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
This is what I was alluding too. Is there anyone we can cherry pick [emoji3]

Crystal Palace Academy defender Malachi Boateng has been named Under-18s' Player of the Season for his consistent performances throughout the campaign.

Boateng was selected for the accolade by Under-18s manager Paddy McCarthy and Academy Director Gary Issott for an outstanding individual season that has seen him compete for the Under-23s and even train with the first-team at just 16-years-old.

A versatile player who has been fielded in both defence and midfield this season, Boateng has featured 16 times for the Under-18s in this campaign, making over four interceptions a match, and is described by McCarthy as the "most consistent performer.",

Only 16, would probably be a good place to start!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This post (save the names and precise number) could have been made 20 years ago.

Meh :shrug:

Maybe a fairly nondescript player DID cost nearly as much as a recently-built state-of-the-art football stadium 20 years ago. If so, I've clearly forgot.

Said it before, say it again: at what point do you say enough's enough? Billion pound transfer? Billion pound sign-on fee? Billion pound weekly pay packet? At some point some kind of ceiling WILL kick in. Winter is coming.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It wasn't an insult.

Said it before, say it again: at what point do you say enough's enough?
Who knows, but Alan Sugar and the like were saying 'enough is enough' decades ago, yet we march on.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Said it before, say it again: at what point do you say enough's enough? Billion pound transfer? Billion pound sign-on fee? Billion pound weekly pay packet? At some point some kind of ceiling WILL kick in. Winter is coming.

Well the latest PL rights deal was sold for less than the previous round wasn’t it? Perhaps we’re already at peak

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
They lost £30m last season so surely this transfer goes to balancing the books?
This is the massive elephant in the crumbling room. They actually need at least one transfer like this per season to not lose a massive pile of cash.

How many more do they have that are likely to happen in the next few seasons? Zaha (who nobody will touch at their inflated value)?

It's a scary way to run a business.....

Incidentally, if this deal is £30m up front plus add ons then it doesn't even balance last year's losses.

It's a cracking deal for Palace (and the player, his agents et al) and they've had United's pants down because they are DESPERATE for defenders. But the bigger picture is still very worrying for our Jester chums.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here