Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Rental price freezing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does the tenant have stability in Germany, as in long rents. The major problem in the UK rental market is the not knowing if you've got somewhere to live at two months notice!

Yes. I’m not exactly sure how it works but huge swathes of rental property have indefinite contracts and the power is with the tenant. A lot of people choose to live in rented accommodation all their lives so it has to be this way. Renting is totally accepted here, and a genuine lifestyle option and choice. I say this because I don’t feel this is the case in the UK.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Yes. I’m not exactly sure how it works but huge swathes of rental property have indefinite contracts and the power is with the tenant. A lot of people choose to live in rented accommodation all their lives so it has to be this way. Renting is totally accepted here, and a genuine lifestyle option and choice. I say this because I don’t feel this is the case in the UK.

Same here. If you’re interested read up on the Swedish rental market, it’s such a different system but it works. If you have a ‘first hand contract’ you’re pretty much sorted. Power with the tenant. Second hand contracts are pretty much the other way round and closer to the English system.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not an acceptable answer imo.

If you can't afford to live in Berlin, move to somewhere you can.

My parents did it 40+ years ago when they got married and couldn't afford to buy where they grew up - not a new idea being priced out of an area you would like to live or think you are entitled to live in.

And what will happen when everywhere is unaffordable? I've probably contributed to making Leeds unaffordable for local youngsters. What if there aren't jobs where you can afford to live?

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I would concur, I didnt want to come across as being rude.
One of the worst places in UK :lolol:

Don't you worry about that, I was fully aware - but I got offered a brilliant role at an airline HQ'd at the airport. I'm here temporarily until my partner finishes her notice and then we're looking to move to either Harpenden, St Albans or Hitchin.

But my bloody god this place is awful. I live right round the corner from the police station that 24 Hours in Police Custody is filmed and I'm woke up at least once a night from sirens.

The town centre is full drunks, drug addicts and beggars who get very angry when you say you don't carry cash. It's a rancid place, thankfully our intention is that it's temporary.

Have you been to Stoke?

No, but I am desperate to avoid that place. However, in terms of places I've lived, Luton is god awful. T

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
And what will happen when everywhere is unaffordable? I've probably contributed to making Leeds unaffordable for local youngsters. What if there aren't jobs where you can afford to live?

"WORK HARDER AND SAVE, IT'S WHAT I DID".

It's the condescending attitude many of my elders have. My father-in-law is one of them, though he bought his house through shared ownership; something I disagree with. He doesn't seem to understand why:
1) despite a joint income of £70k, that buying a house near London can be very difficult when rental prices are already very high and eat into disposable income.
2) Shared ownership means living in a perpetual cycle of paying rent, paying towards a mortgage and having to save what little disposable income we have. It took him and his wife 15 years to buy out the other landlord. 15 ****ing years...

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham

I understand your point (those wealthier will buy multiple properties leaving others unable to buy at all) but I doubt that will ever happen. Also, there is usually a reason why properties are "affordable" in a particular area...

Nobody has the right to own property anywhere.

In my experience many renters who moan about not being able to afford to buy have leased cars, Sky, flashy mobiles. multiple foreign holidays etc.

I own property and have none of the above. 1 family holiday in the past 7 years for me.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I understand your point (those wealthier will buy multiple properties leaving others unable to buy at all) but I doubt that will ever happen. Also, there is usually a reason why properties are "affordable" in a particular area...

Nobody has the right to own property anywhere.

In my experience many renters who moan about not being able to afford to buy have leased cars, Sky, flashy mobiles. multiple foreign holidays etc.

I own property and have none of the above. 1 family holiday in the past 7 years for me.

That's an amazing generalisation concerning renters. I know plenty of renter's who struggle to get by, with no security of tenancy and the threat of having to move at a couple of months notice, having to move kids schools at short notice and not ever feeling like they have somewhere they can call "home".

How does that fit in with your picture?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here