Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    world consensus, basic economics goes beyond individual cities or politics.
    Really? Who exactly has said this?

Germany already has some of the toughest rent laws already in Europe. Various and numerous types of rent controls, including capping of increases, already exist here and have been around for many years if not decades. Neither have markedly decreased volume or impeded the quality as you suggest. FYI 60% of German residential property is let, and in the main is owned and funded in a very different way to the U.K. I really can’t see how you can sweepingly state it’s bad when markets, cultures, law and economies are so different between the U.K. and Germany are also so different.
    "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post

Germany already has some of the toughest rent laws already in Europe. Various and numerous types of rent controls, including capping of increases, already exist here and have been around for many years if not decades. Neither have markedly decreased volume or impeded the quality as you suggest. FYI 60% of German residential property is let, and in the main is owned and funded in a very different way to the U.K. I really can’t see how you can sweepingly state it’s bad when markets, cultures, law and economies are so different between the U.K. and Germany as so different.

Is the German mortgage 'system' still passed on through family, by the way of a 99 year mortgage?
      ESU Zimmer Crew

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Papak View Post
      Why mess with a free market economy?
      Because the ones who struggle the most get shafted.
      Quote Originally Posted by sydney View Post
      Was that when we took Bejams....?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      Is the German mortgage 'system' still passed on through family, by the way of a 99 year mortgage?
      Good question. I think so. I now have a 40 year mortgage and I’m 50.....it’s highly likely someone else will be picking this up before it ends
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      ESU Zimmer Crew

0 Not allowed!
      I'll never forget when I had a rental revaluation by my old landlord and it went up 15%.

I got a letter from the estate agent which effectively said that as market rates were increasing they were doing it because they could.
      Quote Originally Posted by sydney View Post
      Was that when we took Bejams....?
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!

Germany already has some of the toughest rent laws already in Europe. Various and numerous types of rent controls, including capping of increases, already exist here and have been around for many years if not decades. Neither have markedly decreased volume or impeded the quality as you suggest. FYI 60% of German residential property is let, and in the main is owned and funded in a very different way to the U.K. I really can’t see how you can sweepingly state it’s bad when markets, cultures, law and economies are so different between the U.K. and Germany are also so different.
      it was based on a survey of economist. perhaps they had no German respondents.

though if they need to continue with further controls, maybe they havent cracked this yet either?
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Good question. I think so. I now have a 40 year mortgage and I’m 50.....it’s highly likely someone else will be picking this up before it ends
      I always thought it was a great idea, when I was over there.
      Nearly purchased a property with then partner, but things didnt pan out, so that financial idea didn't get off.
      Wouldve been worth it though, if it happened.
      Massive up 170417 LamieRobertson's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      Yet another another ticking time bomb....more people renting now....rents only going one way...smaller pensions....housing allowance caps....not going to be much fun in old age for a fair number (in the UK)
      Pokerstoving Hands

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Lines View Post
      Because the ones who struggle the most get shafted.
      Not an acceptable answer imo.

If you can't afford to live in Berlin, move to somewhere you can.

My parents did it 40+ years ago when they got married and couldn't afford to buy where they grew up - not a new idea being priced out of an area you would like to live or think you are entitled to live in.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      it was based on a survey of economist. perhaps they had no German respondents.

though if they need to continue with further controls, maybe they havent cracked this yet either?
      One thing to remember is this law is an extension of a pre-existing law which does not cover new-builds. It seems to work and is routinely monitored. I think the cap was last made at 3% about 2 years ago. All we are seeing here is a tweak, but the way it’s been reported it’s seems like a radical new law; it isn’t. Personally I feel they need to bring in legislation for new builds as well.

We are finding our way here, the city became the third largest city in Europe, and capital of the 4th biggest world economy overnight just less than 30 years ago. It’s a unique city in this sense and residential property supply and demand is all over the place; the tools to control it may need to be bespoke.