Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Rental price freezing.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not an acceptable answer imo.

If you can't afford to live in Berlin, move to somewhere you can.

My parents did it 40+ years ago when they got married and couldn't afford to buy where they grew up - not a new idea being priced out of an area you would like to live or think you are entitled to live in.

Pretend you're from Port Isaac, then you'll understand, a lot of the properties there are London owned.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

My parents did it 40+ years ago when they got married and couldn't afford to buy where they grew up - not a new idea being priced out of an area you would like to live or think you are entitled to live in.

That’s one way of looking at it. I can afford to live here. But as a resident I don’t want this city to be the preserve of the wealthy. There’s much more to life than house prices.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Pretend you're from Port Isaac, then you'll understand, a lot of the properties there are London owned.

Why is Port Isaac any different to Berlin or anywhere else for that matter?

Apologies, but I don't see why my point doesn't still stand.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Why is Port Isaac any different to Berlin or anywhere else for that matter?

Apologies, but I don't see why my point doesn't still stand.

I was using Port Isaac as an example :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They would say that wouldn't they? I would too if I had a vested interest. Buy to let landlords moved their money into property when their interest income was substantially reduced when rates were dropped due to the banking crises, and of course the governments decision to release pension pots so those who wished could invest in second/ third or more properties.

The private rented sector has flourished since c. 2002.

822D669C-3B05-4819-8CCE-B1E305DC7357.png

Savings rates crashed in 2008/09.

The easing of buy to let lending, with millions especially in southern England having significant equity on their main home to use as the deposit, got the ball rolling for the lucky savvy. Almost like printing money for the millions who bought a BTL or two in the heady days of huge house price rises.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Rent is capped/controlled here dependant on region in Sweden. British houses/apartments are on the whole like third world countries compared to here, the quality can’t be compared. So yeah, that argument doesn’t work

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Why should someone be forced out of the area they grew up in so it can become the preserve of the wealthy ?

Only enforces my point about folk being shafted.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Don't worry folks Jeezer will be in soon, and rent controls will be here...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rent is capped/controlled here dependant on region in Sweden. British houses/apartments are on the whole like third world countries compared to here, the quality can’t be compared. So yeah, that argument doesn’t work

It’s a shame they don’t cap the price of those beers in Omnipollo as well :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What's that thing they used to say about the three stages of gentrification? First the artists move in because nobody else wants to. Then the teachers move in because it's affordable. Then the bankers move in and kill the vibe. Same as it ever was. Add Airb'n'b into the mix and Berlin's bohemian heart is sadly doomed, despite the best intentions of the city's local government.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
The private rented sector has flourished since c. 2002.

View attachment 111747

Savings rates crashed in 2008/09.

The easing of buy to let lending, with millions especially in southern England having significant equity on their main home to use as the deposit, got the ball rolling for the lucky savvy. Almost like printing money for the millions who bought a BTL or two in the heady days of huge house price rises.

Your graph does tend to show a marked increase in the BTL market from 2008 as I indicated. Thanks for the information.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
With negative bund yields at the moment I can’t see why Germany doesn’t borrow and build some houses!

The rent freeze is great in principle but it’s driven by the housing shortage. Rents will inevitably go up again unless new supply is added as there will be no incentives for landlords to invest....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You must be either a Leftie, a member of generation rent or both.

I totally agree with [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION]. I am a leftie. As already stated, I have a mortgage.

Next!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a place though.

Sure is. It is a lovely place. Great great beers, nice staff, nice punters and quality pizzas. We are getting an Omnipollo in Hamburg shortly; I’ll be making a trip there for sure.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here