Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Laptop / Projector / Remote Control

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Technical help wanted! I help at a local U3A group which uses a laptop and digital projector for amateur travel presentations - sometimes PowerPoint, sometimes a bunch of JPG images.

Previously, the U3A projector was connected to the laptop via USB cable, which allowed us to use the projector's remote control to advance through the presentation.

Now, the venue has installed a lovely new ceiling-mounted projector, and we connect via an HDMI cable in a wall socket. We use a different remote control that communicates directly to the laptop via a USB wireless attachment.

PowerPoint presentations still work fine with this remote control, presumably because the software is "listening" for the remote control. But presentations with individual images DON'T work, presumably because Windows Photo Viewer isn't intelligent enough!

So: Is there some free software for displaying images, that will respond to the remote control? Is there a type of remote control that will work? Or do we just have to use the keyboard arrows? Getting everyone to prepare PowerPoint presentations isn't an option. Thanks.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
how about a wireless keyboard and use the arrows?

That wouldn't really help - the laptop sits on a table at the side of the hall, and the speaker needs something they can hold and press while standing nearer the screen.

Thinking about it, what we need is a small wireless keyboard with just the "left" and "right" arrows!

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Thinking about it, what we need is a small wireless keyboard with just the "left" and "right" arrows!

Then you are in luck, as most "cheap" USB Infrared remote controls work by emulating keyboard inputs.
Something like this will do the job for you for around a fiver.

In fact, if you need it soon, I have one right here, (in Hove) , in front of me which I no longer need.
You can have it if you want it.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Then you are in luck, as most "cheap" USB Infrared remote controls work by emulating keyboard inputs.
Something like this will do the job for you for around a fiver.

In fact, if you need it soon, I have one right here, (in Hove) , in front of me which I no longer need.
You can have it if you want it.

Hmm, so why would our existing remote control not work? Somebody else bought it, and I don't have the equipment with me. Are there different types of remote control that send different key codes?

I appreciate the offer, but a 500 mile round-trip would be more expensive and take longer than a next-day delivery from Amazon. :lol:

Edit: I wonder if our remote transmits "up" and "down" rather than "left" and "right"?

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Hmm, so why would our existing remote control not work?

IDK... but you can do a quick test by trying to use it while editing a text document, or using a word processor, to see if the remote buttons you are pressing result in the expected arrow key presses from the keyboard.

A quick workaround I know... but did you think of putting your images on Powerpoint pages to get them to show?

:)

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
you can buy a clicker with 4 arrows which will cover you for left and right

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Hmm, so why would our existing remote control not work? Somebody else bought it, and I don't have the equipment with me. Are there different types of remote control that send different key codes?

I appreciate the offer, but a 500 mile round-trip would be more expensive and take longer than a next-day delivery from Amazon. :lol:

Edit: I wonder if our remote transmits "up" and "down" rather than "left" and "right"?

Is there a way you can change the setting of the arrows from up and down to left and right? left and right would still work for powerpoint

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
That wouldn't really help - the laptop sits on a table at the side of the hall, and the speaker needs something they can hold and press while standing nearer the screen.

An older speaker will want to use Presenter view in Powerpoint contingency.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Simplest way is to add the photos into a PowerPoint deck - one per page.

With PowerPoint functionality, you can either set the next page to a click [use the remote to do this] or you can set to run the presentation in auto mode by setting x number of seconds before next page triggers [this might not be suitable if oral presentation is also involved alongside the slides]

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
you can buy a clicker with 4 arrows which will cover you for left and right

Yeah, although binky's suggested remote control looks worth a flutter - it's much more elaborate than the one we've got.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
IDK... but you can do a quick test by trying to use it while editing a text document, or using a word processor, to see if the remote buttons you are pressing result in the expected arrow key presses from the keyboard.

A quick workaround I know... but did you think of putting your images on Powerpoint pages to get them to show?

:)

An older speaker will want to use Presenter view in Powerpoint contingency.

Simplest way is to add the photos into a PowerPoint deck - one per page.

With PowerPoint functionality, you can either set the next page to a click [use the remote to do this] or you can set to run the presentation in auto mode by setting x number of seconds before next page triggers [this might not be suitable if oral presentation is also involved alongside the slides]

To be clear, it's not my presentation, and these aren't people who regularly do presentations. They are just members who have travelled somewhere interesting, and have photos to illustrate their talks. A few have PowerPoint presentations, but most wouldn't know how to create them, and some have trouble copying files to a flash drive. Also, so use their own laptops (Windows and IOS) and some use the group laptop, so we have a mixture of equipment to cover! Previously, I'd suggested they go with individual images, as the U3A laptop doesn't have PowerPoint, only a discontinued LS "viewer", so version compatibility might be an issue.

As per my original post, getting everyone to prepare PowerPoint presentations isn't an option.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

Good idea for testing. :thumbsup:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
To be clear, it's not my presentation, and these aren't people who regularly do presentations. They are just members who have travelled somewhere interesting, and have photos to illustrate their talks. A few have PowerPoint presentations, but most wouldn't know how to create them, and some have trouble copying files to a flash drive. Also, so use their own laptops (Windows and IOS) and some use the group laptop, so we have a mixture of equipment to cover! Previously, I'd suggested they go with individual images, as the U3A laptop doesn't have PowerPoint, only a discontinued LS "viewer", so version compatibility might be an issue.

As per my original post, getting everyone to prepare PowerPoint presentations isn't an option.

Buy a copy of Office 2010 for the laptop at £20. I bet at least half would prefer to use Powerpoint, even more when they know it is easier to use than a smartphone.

Make videos in Picasa is an option. Timed sequence of still pictures.

The tricky bit is compatibility between laptops and projector. I keep on forgetting.

Last edited:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Buy a copy of Office 2010 for the laptop at £20. I bet at least half would prefer to use Powerpoint, even more when they know it is easier to use than a smartphone.

The tricky bit is compatibility between laptops and projector. I keep on forgetting.

I respectfully suggest the statement about getting everyone to use power point is not an option is clear enough, to not be considered suitable for the ops question

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

No. As I've made clear, enforcing PowerPoint is not an option. Those that choose to use it with their own laptops are welcome to do so, but even if I got £20 approved for Office 2010, the U3A laptop is shared by multiple groups and isn't available for preparing PowerPoint presentations in advance. I doubt half our members would know how to use PowerPoint, let alone "prefer" to use it.

Videos are also not an option, as people are talking about individual slides and answering questions.

Compatibility between laptops and projector isn't really an issue now that we are using an HDMI cable.

Apart from that, thanks for your input!

So far, the most likely solution is binky's remote control, which I can cover myself and add to my own kit.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I respectfully suggest the statement about getting everyone to use power point is not an option is clear enough, to not be considered suitable for the ops question
:clap::O:cheers::lolol:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No. As I've made clear, enforcing PowerPoint is not an option. Those that choose to use it with their own laptops are welcome to do so, but even if I got £20 approved for Office 2010, the U3A laptop is shared by multiple groups and isn't available for preparing PowerPoint presentations in advance. I doubt half our members would know how to use PowerPoint, let alone "prefer" to use it.

Videos are also not an option, as people are talking about individual slides and answering questions.

Compatibility between laptops and projector isn't really an issue now that we are using an HDMI cable.

Apart from that, thanks for your input!

So far, the most likely solution is binky's remote control, which I can cover myself and add to my own kit.

That's from my experience, speakers

1) often want to use Powerpoint in Presenter mode, which means the laptop location has to be thought out
2) want to use their own laptop which might be a different resolution and might not be hdmi (adaptor needed)

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Technical help wanted! I help at a local U3A group which uses a laptop and digital projector for amateur travel presentations - sometimes PowerPoint, sometimes a bunch of JPG images.

Previously, the U3A projector was connected to the laptop via USB cable, which allowed us to use the projector's remote control to advance through the presentation.

Now, the venue has installed a lovely new ceiling-mounted projector, and we connect via an HDMI cable in a wall socket. We use a different remote control that communicates directly to the laptop via a USB wireless attachment.

PowerPoint presentations still work fine with this remote control, presumably because the software is "listening" for the remote control. But presentations with individual images DON'T work, presumably because Windows Photo Viewer isn't intelligent enough!

So: Is there some free software for displaying images, that will respond to the remote control? Is there a type of remote control that will work? Or do we just have to use the keyboard arrows? Getting everyone to prepare PowerPoint presentations isn't an option. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-Wirele...ateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A2CBW8FNZCDSJI

I bought one of these. I use it at home and have my laptop connected to my TV. Works really well

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here