Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by blue-shifted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Questions

So what would have happened in legal terms if the cyclist had been a car driver?
    I think it’s 200 points for a teacher with 40 bonus points if it’s during their school holiday.
    "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Very odd decision. The cyclist was on the road ffs and the pedestrian wasn't looking. I've seen so many close shaves when pedestrians (and in most cases they are women) are so obsessed with their mobiles that they pay no attention to the dangers of the road.

Having said that, it is remarkable that as "The Government is looking at a range of options to make the roads safer for pedestrians after a record number of pedestrians are being killed or seriously injured in crashes with cyclists." that the OB continue to refuse to address the ever increasing number of cyclists who think they have the right to cycle on the pavement. Waiting for some young 'un or frail senior to be killed before awakening from their slumbers no doubt

0 Not allowed!
      I had a year of cycling in London from London Bridge to Charlotte Street for work and then down to Victoria in the evening. Three things made me give up;

1 My regular route along Cheapside was closed for roadworks forcing me along Cannon St, where this incident occurred. This route was considerably more hazardous.
      2 My folding bike folded on me one day, when i hit a pothole along the Mall. I could of course have avoided it and swerved into the path of an impatient taxi overtaking me.
      3 The clincher my office moved into the adjacent building and the showers were in the first building. I don't know why, but this was the thing that eventually put me off.

I wasn't really enjoying work at this time, so the adrenalin and the exercise, were welcome. Some of the near misses less so.
      Packed pavements full of unpredictable pedestrians, who will push their luck and take risks at every opportunity. Inpatient car,lorry and taxi drivers and trains of cyclists.

As a cyclist, you have to sort of fall in line with the general pace of things. There are people who will overtake at every opportunity, but otherwise cyclists fall into a medium fast pace, often following each other in single file. This is not like cycling anywhere else where I have been. Slam the brakes on unpredictably and you risk a major pile up.

Ultimately the law will have to change for pedestrians and I predict that it will be the advance of driverless cars that will force the issue. Pedestrian crossings in busy cities are advisory only, you are free to risk crossing unless there are barriers to prevent you doing so. Stepping out in front of a vehicle, the pedestrian has to make a judgement call as to whether the driver has seen them and will stop and having stopped, will not jump out the car and lamp them. The dynamics are different for a driverless car, which morally has to stop. This completely changes the dynamics and will be a recipe for chaos in city centres.
      "And the beep says goal!" - Jonathan Pearce MotD 05/05/18

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      That would make sense. He got knocked unconscious too, right?

Having started crossing a road without looking, and staring into her phone, I'm amazed she sued him in the first place. If the cyclist sounded warnings, but didn't bother slowing down, it is somewhat understandable that the judge ruled that liability was 50/50. Common sense is that they settle for zero, but this lady appears to have no common sense at all.

Cyclists do have a duty of care. But surely pedestrians do too? Walking onto a busy road without looking can cause injury to others. Either a cyclist, who might crash, or other pedestrians if a car is forced to swerve.
      Difficult one really. Pedestrians nose deep in their smart phones with absolutely zero understanding of their surroundings, not just on busy roads but pavements to, are an absolute nightmare. Conversely, especially in London, cyclists with no thought of anyone but themselves are also a danger to everyone and themselves. You also see many cyclists wearing earphones and listening to their phones and having no idea of their surroundings. I think they are both culpable.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by brightn'ove View Post
      So let’s take tens of thousands of cyclists off the roads because a bit of paintwork got scratched.
      Now your talking. That's a great idea.
      Ignore list - 1. An idiot - Classified He knows who he is!!
      2. Dickheads Elbow - No other reason than he's a tw**!

That is all!

0 Not allowed!
      It’s probably just me but I find it incredibly rude when cyclist ring their bells because they wish to get past pedestrians. How is that any different to someone who is walking faster then the person in front, getting behind then and yelling “OUT OF MY WAY”! ?

Surely a polite “excuse me” or waiting for a gap to pass through is more appropriate. I’ll always move aside if I know a cyclist is approaching from behind, there’s no need to ring your ****ing Bell at me.
      Love Great Britain
      Love the EU
      Love Inclusion and Progression.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by CheeseRolls View Post
      As a cyclist, you have to sort of fall in line with the general pace of things. There are people who will overtake at every opportunity, but otherwise cyclists fall into a medium fast pace, often following each other in single file. This is not like cycling anywhere else where I have been. Slam the brakes on unpredictably and you risk a major pile up.
      If Hammersmith and Kensington, around Olympia, are to go by at rush hour, that is hugely debatable.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Nomad View Post
      Difficult one really. Pedestrians nose deep in their smart phones with absolutely zero understanding of their surroundings, not just on busy roads but pavements to, are an absolute nightmare. Conversely, especially in London, cyclists with no thought of anyone but themselves are also a danger to everyone and themselves. You also see many cyclists wearing earphones and listening to their phones and having no idea of their surroundings. I think they are both culpable.
      I am out and about in the small hours for work and I continuously see lone females and teenagers walking down dark streets, head down and focussed on their phones utterly unaware of anything going on around them.
      Of course it would be solely the fault of the criminal if anything happened to them but come on! They’re handing it to them on a plate. It’s just common sense to be aware of your surroundings.
      Love Great Britain
      Love the EU
      Love Inclusion and Progression.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by rippleman View Post
      Having said that, it is remarkable that as "The Government is looking at a range of options to make the roads safer for pedestrians after a record number of pedestrians are being killed or seriously injured in crashes with cyclists." that the OB continue to refuse to address the ever increasing number of cyclists who think they have the right to cycle on the pavement. Waiting for some young 'un or frail senior to be killed before awakening from their slumbers no doubt
      How many of those pedestrians killed or wounded were actually on the pavement, not on the road at all, I wonder.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      I am out and about in the small hours for work and I continuously see lone females and teenagers walking down dark streets, head down and focussed on their phones utterly unaware of anything going on around them.
      Of course it would be solely the fault of the criminal if anything happened to them but come on! They’re handing it to them on a plate. It’s just common sense to be aware of your surroundings.
      Being a typical bloke I can't walk and text/read texts at the same time, multi tasking isn't in my remit.