Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 250
  1. #191
    Members Creaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hookwood - Nr Horley
    Posts
    3,091


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saunders View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We do but you just arent listening at how bad it has become.

    It is that bad in town if we stopped everytime someone looked like walking into the road or walked into the road we would be stopping every 10 yards. Bikes dont stop on a sixpence.

    Also the "tosser" 18 year old kid did have brakes he had a completely legal fixed brake. He was a stupid kid who had no legal advice and made a mistake but then so did the pedestrian he hit. Again zombie in a phone. If it was a car driver they would not be put in prison for hitting a pedestrian who walked out in front of them head buried in a phone.

    Our laws are outdated the government promised a full review of road traffic offences in 2014. Here is the cycling UK article on this very subject after the "tosser" incident. https://www.cyclinguk.org/press-rele...ty-review-says
    Car drivers are used to “stopping every 10 yards”, why should it be any different for a cyclist. I suspect that it is the effort required to start off again that tempts many cyclists to use their brakes only as a last resort.

    As for a car driver not being jailed for hitting a pedestrian who stepped out in front of them then I think you are wrong, especially if the car driver had knowingly gone on the road with no front brakes on the car!

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #192
      Members Peteinblack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Location
      Bath, Somerset.
      Posts
      2,112


      6 Not allowed!
      I'm 100% with the cyclist on this one, and have donated to the Crowdfund towards his legal costs.

      The stupid bimbo steps off the pavement staring at her phone, and then plays the victim. She's lucky it wasn't a car that hit her.

      Incidentally, what is it about young women always 'on' their phones - I don't see blokes all constantly texting and yakking non-stop while they're walking, or on public transport, or queuing, or in the pub, but 99% of women under 30 today don't seem capable of doing anything if they're not on their phones - they seem to have a SIM card instead of a brain.

      I walk as much as I can, and am getting ******-off seeing women with their faces buried in their phones, and the assumption that everyone else will get out of their way, because they're too dumb to actually look up and check their surroundings.

      Personally, I'd like texting-while-walking to be outlawed (like it has been in some US states), but I realise it would probably not be practical or enforceable.
      Did you play in the Garden of Eden? Were the goalkeeper's gloves to you tossed?
      Cos it seems to me you're the reason, you're the reason why Paradise Lost.
    • #193
      Drew drew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      16,324


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Brilliant the way some people think on here. If a cyclist, paying no attention pulled out in front of a car, they’d be a lot on here cheering “Bloody cyclist fault,( which it would be) got what they deserved” But some **** crossing the road without looking gets hit by a cyclist, and the cyclist is to blame.
      There are idiots in all mods of transport Cars, bikes and pedestrians. The road systems are outdated, and as someone else mentioned, so is the Highway Code.
      As a car driver, I still agree with all you are saying. There has, as yet, been no video evidence so people all seem to be speculating as to how quickly he should have reacted. Maybe he regularly shouts at pedestrians who step out and they instantly step back or rush across, depending on how far across the road they were. He did take evasive action but she went the same way. Absolutely astounded she had the gall to make a claim against him. What he should have done is put in an immediate counter claim (I believe he was more seriously hurt than her) and that might have stopped it there and then. Now, the only beneficiaries are the lawyers. They get 100% of the their fees whilst the two individuals each get half.

      Costs are currently estimated at £100k so each will have to pay £50k (both, one or possibly neither will have legal expenses insurance although I'm not sure the insurers would have agreed to take on her case!).

      As for Charlie Alliston, I might be in a minority in that I thought he was harshly treated by the courts. Another case of a pedestrian not paying attention and just stepping into the road. He may well have, in the immediate aftermath of the crash posted some stuff but it was reported that this was withdrawn when he found out how serious her injuries were and his barrister reported that he had been in touch with the hospital on 9 occasions. It was also reported that he was suffering depression (his dad had died of cancer just over a year prior to the incident) yet the judge disregarded this and gave him 18 months. You hear of people that get less for assault (6 months or a fine is the maximum for common assault)

      https://www.lawtonslaw.co.uk/resourc...sault-charges/

      It was a tragic accident which his actions contributed to but did he really deserve an 18 month prison sentence?

      Two similar cases in which a cyclist in one was 100% to blame and in the other 50% to blame, the common factor though being that an adult stepped into the road with out paying attention!!!!
    • #194
      Drew drew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      16,324


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Creaky View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Car drivers are used to “stopping every 10 yards”, why should it be any different for a cyclist. I suspect that it is the effort required to start off again that tempts many cyclists to use their brakes only as a last resort.

      As for a car driver not being jailed for hitting a pedestrian who stepped out in front of them then I think you are wrong, especially if the car driver had knowingly gone on the road with no front brakes on the car!
      I've yet to see a car driver stop every 10 yards because a pedestrian might step out into the road! Ridiculous comparison. Car drivers stop every 10 yrds because of traffic/congestion. The big difference is that a car makes more noise than a bike and some idiots on the pavement rely on their hearing to decide whether to cross or not!!! In this case and that of Aliston, the 'victims' were both not paying attention.
    • #195
      Technocrat
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Haywards Heath
      Posts
      14,829


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I've yet to see a car driver stop every 10 yards because a pedestrian might step out into the road! Ridiculous comparison. Car drivers stop every 10 yrds because of traffic/congestion. The big difference is that a car makes more noise than a bike and some idiots on the pavement rely on their hearing to decide whether to cross or not!!! In this case and that of Aliston, the 'victims' were both not paying attention.
      You're a driving instructor, in a hypothetical lesson on a busy lunchtime driving down Burgess Hill one way how quickly do you allow your students to drive? Do you teach them that if someone steps out just beep the horn and hopefully they'll jump out the way in the right direction?

      Charlie Allison made no attempt to stop and was riding a bike that want road legal and then still accepted no culpability, all aggravating factors in the sentencing.
    • #196

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I have no problem with cycling on the bridge, plenty of room for all, but I have to bite my tongue when someone dings their bell behind me. I am fully aware of my surroundings and know when a cyclist is coming up behind. If I don't move it will only be because the bridge is busy. They need to slow down and wait until they can get past.
      Incidentally we didn't have this problem up til about 5 years ago, everybody seemed to stick to the unspoken rule that you walk or cycle to your left, meaning that spaces regularly open for cyclists to overtake pedestrians or pedestrians to overtake slower walkers. Now people just jumble all over the bridge and pavements meaning pedestrians, cyclists and scootists are continually weaving in and out of each other's way.
      Very haphazard, no wonder people get aggravated in busy cities like London.
      When people act like this the system breaks down and if the system breaks down, we break down.
      There are idiots in cars, on bikes and (as people seem to belatedly waking up to) on foot too.

      When cycling on cycle routes overseas (the bridge is part of National Cycle Route 2 and was partly funded by Sustrans), that's still what tends to happen, people walk to the right. But then most Europeans seems to respect the idea of a shared route, shared responsibility, equal status, equal respect. It's not much to ask here surely?

      The bridge is very wide, but still not wide enough for groups of half a dozen to walk alongside, with dozens of dogs all in a line or rows of pushchairs, or weaving haphazardly in zombie mode. You might be aware of what's going on around you, but they are are either oblivious to the presence of others (on bikes or indeed on foot), or couldn't give a toss. The bell makes no difference frankly, but it's what the Highway code advises so I'm not sure why it upsets you? It's supposed to warn of a presence not a Mr Toad signal of "get out of my way"!
    • #197
      Members The Clamp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      West is BEST
      Posts
      10,217


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nobby's Whiskers View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      There are idiots in cars, on bikes and (as people seem to belatedly waking up to) on foot too.

      When cycling on cycle routes overseas (the bridge is part of National Cycle Route 2 and was partly funded by Sustrans), that's still what tends to happen, people walk to the right. But then most Europeans seems to respect the idea of a shared route, shared responsibility, equal status, equal respect. It's not much to ask here surely?

      The bridge is very wide, but still not wide enough for groups of half a dozen to walk alongside, with dozens of dogs all in a line or rows of pushchairs, or weaving haphazardly in zombie mode. You might be aware of what's going on around you, but they are are either oblivious to the presence of others (on bikes or indeed on foot), or couldn't give a toss. The bell makes no difference frankly, but it's what the Highway code advises so I'm not sure why it upsets you? It's supposed to warn of a presence not a Mr Toad signal of "get out of my way"!
      Why do I need a warning of their presence? I’m not about to be run over and I’m not about to run over them. Wait. Your. Bloody. Turn.
      Love Great Britain
      Love the EU
      Love Inclusion and Progression.
    • #198
      Members Horses Arse's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Location
      here and there
      Posts
      2,200


      2 Not allowed!
      Just at the end of a fantastic but gruelling cycling and camping trip in south Wales. Hills were a bloody killer but the motorists were bloody fantastic. Considerate and friendly throughout. Back to London again tomorrow though with aggressive ignorant twats who hate anyone not stuck in a traffic jam.

      Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      "NO MATTER WHAT (unless I don't like my seat)"
    • #199
      Drew drew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      16,324


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You're a driving instructor, in a hypothetical lesson on a busy lunchtime driving down Burgess Hill one way how quickly do you allow your students to drive? Do you teach them that if someone steps out just beep the horn and hopefully they'll jump out the way in the right direction?

      Charlie Allison made no attempt to stop and was riding a bike that want road legal and then still accepted no culpability, all aggravating factors in the sentencing.
      In a busy street you don't drive at 30 but then again, if you are at 20, you're still faster than the bike. You teach them to look out for people not paying attention. With regard to Alliston, he was on a bike that was illegal because of no front brake, accepted. As far as I can tell, he thought she was culpable because she walked out into a road without looking so he's not going to change that view. The judge decided he showed no remorse although his defence barrister submitted evidence to the contrary. The judge chose not to believe it.

      Notwithstanding all that, I'm not saying he was blameless but that he was, compared to others, eg someone who deliberately goes out to assault someone, treated harshly.
    • #200
      Members Worried Man Blues's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      NANTGAREDIG
      Posts
      2,905


      0 Not allowed!
      When electric cars come in and are absolutely silent there will be a few more knocked over.
      I haven't always followed the stripes. ||||

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •