Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

2 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=Hastings gull;8960003][QUOTE=The Clamp;8959989]Agreed. In most places on mainland Europe people are far more considerate on the roads and pavements.
    At pelican crossings in cities such as Berlin, Amsterdam etc there is an understood etiquette; a few people cross and then let a few cars past, then the cars stop and let a few people across, it keeps things moving.
    Same in traffic, in heavy traffic they let a few cars out of sidestreets and let a few people go ahead as this keeps things moving and prevents all the backstreets getting clogged up as well. But in England? Nah, ****ing “me first and balls to the lot of you”.
    No wonder we are treated with contempt by half the known world.[/QUOTE]

My experience is exactly the reverse and I don't know where you get this idealistic rubbish from. In Germany you are not allowed to cross the road as a pedestrian, when the light is red, unlike here, where few people take notice of this. There is no etiquette involved -just the law. Furthermore, motorists do not stop for you, nearly as often as here, when you use a pedestrian crossing - they are far more aggressive.in 30 km zones, priority is from the right, to keep speed down, not to let cars in specifically, though that is the outcome. British drivers tend to go on consensus far more than abroad - when you are trying to turn out on to a main road, you are for more likely to have a light flashed at you, offering you a way out here in England. And as for your assertion that we are treated with contempt, my experience is that the Germans envy us our willingness to be patient.
    First time I went to Amsterdam, have to say it scared me shitless, need 4 pair of eyes to keep a lookout for bikes and pavement driving mopeds. Took me quite a while to get used to looking absolutely everywhere when walking around the city.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Nomad View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

First time I went to Amsterdam, have to say it scared me shitless, need 4 pair of eyes to keep a lookout for bikes and pavement driving mopeds. Took me quite a while to get used to looking absolutely everywhere when walking around the city.
      Then there's the trams.

Agreed. I love Amsterdam, its a fantastic city, but you do have to keep your wits about you when walking round.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      How was I to know where you were talking about? I can only recall a cyclist ringing their bell at me once in the last decade - it was just a few months ago - I wandered on to the cycle lane by the seafront, so someone rang their bell. It got my attention, I got out of the way and apologised. Are cyclists even allowed to cycle on a footbridge? I'm likely to swear at one ringing their bell at me there.

You and I tend to disagree with each other most of the time, so I'll take that as your opinion, rather than a fact.
      Shoreham footbridge. Cyclist bellends are always weaving in and out and ringing their bells. Does my swede in.
      Love Great Britain
      Love the EU
      Love Inclusion and Progression.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GT49er View Post
      Sounding the horn to warn other toad users (who might not have noticed your presence) is correct use of the horn. If that is not the correct time and place to use it, when is?
      Yes, but it's not very helpful to sound your horn if they have no time to do anything about it. Surely some judicious use of the old brake may be more appropriate, sometimes....
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Sounding the horn to warn other toad users (who might not have noticed your presence) is correct use of the horn. If that is not the correct time and place to use it, when is?
      Warning someone who looked like they were about to step INTO the road, I'd agree. 'Warning' someone who was already IN the road, and 'about to step onto the pavement' (his testimony), is nothing but rude unnecessary aggression.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      You'll be in the 1% of people who has any ****ing idea what the Highway Code says.
      I assume you've rounded that up to the nearest whole number. Official census has it at 1 in every 6.5 million people.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      Warning someone who looked like they were about to step INTO the road, I'd agree. 'Warning' someone who was already IN the road, and 'about to step onto the pavement' (his testimony), is nothing but rude unnecessary aggression.
      As well as sounding his horn it was also stated that he braked and swerved to try and avoid her, but she jumped back into his path. Terrible judgement by the ....err...judge, IMHO.

0 Not allowed!
      As well as sounding his horn it was also stated that he braked and swerved to try and avoid her, but she jumped back into his path. Terrible judgement by the ....err...judge, IMHO.
      Suggesting that had he just concentrated on braking, rather than reaching for his horn first he'd have had a much better chance of avoiding the collision. I'd really like to see video of the incident. His own testimony, tbh, makes it sound as though the horn was unnecessary, and the very thing that panicked the woman into spinning back into his path.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      Suggesting that had he just concentrated on braking, rather than reaching for his horn first he'd have had a much better chance of avoiding the collision. I'd really like to see video of the incident. His own testimony, tbh, makes it sound as though the horn was unnecessary, and the very thing that panicked the woman into spinning back into his path.
      Yes, I agree that in this case VAR would be useful (unlike in most cases in football matches!). But, if as it seems, he took steps to avoid her, but she then jumped back into his (avoidance) path she bears much, if not all, of the blame. Still IMHO, like.
      If she jumped in front of a car or lorry, there would have been no suggestion of blame on the driver, or any come back for her, unless they were speeding or drunk or committing other road traffic offences (or on their mobiles!) - so why shouldn't the same rules apply to a cyclist who is not committing an offence?

0 Not allowed!
      Yes, I agree that in this case VAR would be useful (unlike in most cases in football matches!). But, if as it seems, he took steps to avoid her, but she then jumped back into his (avoidance) path she bears much, if not all, of the blame. Still IMHO, like.
      If she jumped in front of a car or lorry, there would have been no suggestion of blame on the driver, or any come back for her, unless they were speeding or drunk or committing other road traffic offences (or on their mobiles!) - so why shouldn't the same rules apply to a cyclist who is not committing an offence?
      If my reading of the events is anything like the reality though, then absolutely I WOULD apportion blame to any vehicle driver in the cyclist's position. If they are travelling too fast to react / stop, for the circumstances, then undoubtedly they shoulder some of the blame. I can't believe that is in question.