Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Our next prime minister BBC 1

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Realise this was written for the C4 debate, not the BBC one but it rings so true. We are screwed with any of these at the helm. Corbyn's rating on the 'who would you prefer as the next Prime Minister' scale must have gone through the roof.

20190618_231450.jpg

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He is Wallace from Wallace and Gromitt

He may do, and it’s incredible how many people in this country don’t like him because of the way he looks. I’ve been impressed by what he’s had to say since gaining a higher profile. Definitely better than the other four. Will he get a chance? No, in no small part because of the way he looks and the number of idiots who weight that more heavily than what he’s actually saying. We get the politicians we deserve as the old cliche goes and is it any wonder when people’s decision making is so vain.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Realise this was written for the C4 debate, not the BBC one but it rings so true. We are screwed with any of these at the helm. Corbyn's rating on the 'who would you prefer as the next Prime Minister' scale must have gone through the roof.

View attachment 111724

This is great. What's it from? That that was printed in a newspaper(i assume), even in jest, just shows how low we've sunk. Funny though.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
To give Boris credit over his tax cuts (bear with me) he has obviously listened to some bonkers advice from his expensive advisers that targets "higher than average" earners (but not the super-rich) who possibly still vote Labour.

I suspect he looked at some Power Point (sorry "deck") that calculated the mean salary of a target urban yoghurt knitting urban elite.

You know, the ones who buy an extra can of free trade beans and deposit them in the food bank collection bins in Waitrose. Now they can buy an extra can of beans. Basically a trickle down of virgin olive oil effect.

From personal experience a nightmare buying decision by the way, because users of food banks may like saffron too.

To not give Boris credit (he is a moron) the entire thing has backfired and he is back peddling as fast as he can.

Last edited:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
................................and some people still think the Guardian is impartial and even handed!

Why would they be? In the UK, newspapers don't pretend to be 'impartial and even-handed' very much, do they?

Never have, not since the days of Rothermere, Northcliffe and Beaverbrook, anyways.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
................................and some people still think the Guardian is impartial and even handed!

Who the hell thinks that? I read The Guardian but I'm not claiming it's anything like balanced. I expect most readers think the same. If I wanted right of centre I'd go for the Telegraph, Mail, Express, Sun or Times. Doesn't seem too much to ask to have one good solid paper for the tree hugger bleeding heart do gooder commie sector.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm very surprised at you starting a political thread. I thought you had given up on them all long ago and moved on :wink:

Emily Maitlis should have been given an electric shock button, and pressed it everytime one of the other speakers spoke over another. That would be much more entertaining.

Have to disagree press the button regardless of whether they talk over each other :moo:

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
... it’s incredible how many people in this country don’t like him because of the way he looks.

They would genuinely rather choose Johnson, who has repeatedly been sacked from jobs for lying for his own benefit and whose untruths have objectively harmed the country and its citizens, over someone who has actually contributed to the betterment of the UK. It's crazy. Many traditional Conservatives say they don't recognise their party anymore and I can see why.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

View attachment 111724

I read over the weekend that the guy who wrote that and submitted it for publication (In the Guardian guide) EXPECTED to be asked or told to rewrite it.

Such disrespect for our finest politicians.?...?😁😁😁😅😅😅

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I've watched both debates and what a contrast there was between them. The Channel 4 debate was quite well mannered and quite sensible.
The BBC one was like QT most weeks - a shouty rabble.
So what was the difference ?
Was it that the BBC one included BoJo or that Krishnan Guru-Murthy is better at keeping control than Emily Maitlis (who I usually find quite reasonable on Newsnight) or that the BBC had questions from people in BBC studios around the country and wasn't held in front of a live audience ? Or is it just that the Beeb is crap at putting these things on ?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I though the format was dreadful - probably not helped by trying to get 5 people answer half a dozen questions in an hour - simply not enough time for debate with far too much noise, and not enough time to clearly make a point. Should have been 2 hours long IMO.

Emily had a mare - which is a shame as on Newsnight, one on one, she's very good.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Despite his pathetic showing, I still believe Johnson will get in as PM.

And then he simply has to deliver the 'no deal' Brexit by October 31st that he has been promising since the beginning and has been championed by so many of his supporters on here

img22187.768x512.jpg

Anyone ? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here