Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Our next prime minister BBC 1

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
When I look at Rory Stewart and read his works I come to understand Paul Weller's conflicting emotions about David Watts. He's someone who I should care little for yet somehow I can't get enough of him.

One of the few Jam songs not sung by Paul Weller*... and he didn't write it either, it was a cover of a Ray Davies/Kinks song... but I get the idea :)

*It was Bruce Foxton who also featured on other classics including Smithers-Jones and News of the World.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I would disagree, Johnson can get the deal through parliament because he'll bring the ERG along - it wont pass without them. They dislike Stewart - he couldn't get it passed. Stewart on the other hand would then pivot to a second referendum with little hesitancy, soooo..?

I can see where you are coming from, but could the ERG really justify voting for any deal which still had the customs union (or backstop, or any other name for it) after 3 years of Vassal state rhetoric ?

*edit* Silly question, of course they could :wink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There won't be a no deal scenario.

It will roll on until another solution is found.

A no deal might be okay for you but it won't be for millions of others here and elsewhere.

It wouldn't be 'okay' for him, either. He's just too pig-headed to allow himself to understand why.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I can see where you are coming from, but could the ERG really justify voting for any deal which still had the customs union (or backstop, or any other name for it) ?

I think so, they want to leave, i don't think they are *that* ideological, but they've stuck their necks out and need a face saver, Johnson being PM will do that. There will be inducements too - JRM, Priti Patel, Steve Baker, IDS could all be in cabinet, hell Boris could really **** with us and put Peter Bone in there too... as I've said before it's the image of the thing that matters imo... after all the backstop is just designed to be temporary, is in reality quite a concession from the EU, and they'll think that now they're in power they will be in position to influence the next stage of the withdrawal (as we've also been told many times, this is just the leaving bit, the future relationship is still to be determined).

So because they're getting the keys to the car, they won't block it leaving the garage

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This whole pantomime of televised arguing is being put on solely to convince the public they have some sort of part in all this. A public they know are made of 52% gullible schlubs.
And they say the EU is undemocratic. We don’t even get a say in who leads the country.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lots of support for Rory Stewart on the phone in on 5Live this morning. He is starting to look like the only one who is a reasonable alternative to Boris.... But, will he make the last 2 that get put to the members vote or will he be engineered out of the race?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Lots of support for Rory Stewart on the phone in on 5Live this morning. He is starting to look like the only one who is a reasonable alternative to Boris.... But, will he make the last 2 that get put to the members vote or will he be engineered out of the race?

Today's a big day for him. If he survives and Javid goes, he should be able to pick up Javids support and get in front of Hunt. But surviving today will be tough because he won't get any of Raabs vote - it's they're a minimum vote threshold or just last place kicked out?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Rory Stewart is a decent bloke but sadly he wilted last night. Not his thing at all and presenter gave him a poor ratio of time and last seat. He did admit after he had a bit of a shocker and that is why Ilike the fella so much. He is a human being. All the others are more of the same

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If he was, then that's news to me as I've never heard him support 'no deal'. Maybe you could give us a link to where you got this information ?

(And I don't want Stewart to get in, as I believe he is the only one with a reasonable plan for Brexit and could get it to happen. I'm an ardent remainer, so I'm backing Johnson as I think that is most likely to stop Brexit completely)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-force-no-deal-brexit-newspaper-idUSKCN1TD2UE

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Speaking as a complete anti-Tory who will most likely never vote Blue, the options are pretty awful.

Stewart is the only one who appears to be even vaguely realistic about the challenges of Brexit. Not impressed by his voting record but as others as said a lot of that can be put down to following the party whip. He seems to be a vaguely normal human being which immediately puts himself ahead of the other 4. I also like that he has some impressive "real world" experience.

Hunt is just a complete prick who has the nerve to talk about public spending after being an utterly dreadful health sec.

Gove is generally a prick. A fairly competent prick but a prick all the same

Johnson is obviously a prick and a pound shop Trump.

Javid just seems so bland

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Johnson can't be trusted IMHO, he will say anything.

I've always wanted a sensible deal with the EU, but I think that ship has probably sailed.

Well the TM deal is still there and is the basis for Stewart's proposal, and I don't believe that there was ever any other significantly different, sensible deal we were going to get. Unless you know different, and if so what would the basis of that deal be ?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Well Stewart has just said he is talking about combining forces with Gove - so that can only mean he would withdraw and be Gove's running mate, and he wouldn't have said it if it wasn't going to happen.

I guess Gove and Stewart are the only two who could potentially beat Johnson, not that that is anything more than a longshot. But is that a mistake on Stewart's part....?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Surely you mean Ray Davies' conflicting emotions..? ??? :)

As has been pointed out by FB friends too. I've learnt something new there. Still, hope you see the sentiment.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well Stewart has just said he is talking about combining forces with Gove - so that can only mean he would withdraw and be Gove's running mate, and he wouldn't have said it if it wasn't going to happen.

I guess Gove and Stewart are the only two who could potentially beat Johnson, not that that is anything more than a longshot. But is that a mistake on Stewart's part....?

It would be the other way round. Gove under Stewart. I can't see that happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here