Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Our next prime minister BBC 1

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
would be possibly make more sense, a kind of Biden supporting Obama - but why would the frontrunner come out and float the idea? sign of weakness in my mind

I would have thought Gove as running mate to Stewart would be more likely.

As to why Stewart would come out ? Could be naivety, honesty or political astuteness (and motive and interpretation of those could be different !). Guess we will find out over the next couple of days.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Well the TM deal is still there and is the basis for Stewart's proposal, and I don't believe that there was ever any other significantly different, sensible deal we were going to get. Unless you know different, and if so what would the basis of that deal be ?
Doesn't really matter what I think, this deal is not getting through Parliament. I don't view the "negotiation" of a deal by Barnier and May which does not command support of Parliament as in any way a triumph for anybody. More of a dismal failure.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Doesn't really matter what I think, this deal is not getting through Parliament. I don't view the "negotiation" of a deal by Barnier and May which does not command support of Parliament as in any way a triumph for anybody. More of a dismal failure.

I really don't understand what else you thought the EU would be able to give us, whilst maintaining their basic principles :shrug:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Is that the right article ?

Because I get 'Boris Johnson not ruling out parliament suspension to force no-deal Brexit ' We were talking about Stewart, or have i got my lines crossed ???

Crossed most definitely :)

I was talking about Boris the Buffoon :)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I would have thought Gove as running mate to Stewart would be more likely.

As to why Stewart would come out ? Could be naivety, honesty or political astuteness (and motive and interpretation of those could be different !). Guess we will find out over the next couple of days.

I suspect today or tomorrow Stewart will go. A shame and a dark day for politics in this country.

I've seen loads of his lectures and read his work. We would never have had a PM so grounded and with such an experienced worldview.

One of my favourite quotes from the 'The places in between':

'I felt it ludicrous that I would be killed only eight kilometers into my journey and not for the first time worried that when I was killed people would think me foolhardy....'

This is a man who served in the military, lectured at Harvard, walked from Iran to Nepal and ran a post war province in Iraq. He has also set up humanitarian groups.

But we're getting Boris Johnson.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well at least the SNP are doing their bit to highlight the fact that Johnson is completely unfit for office.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I suspect today or tomorrow Stewart will go. A shame and a dark day for politics in this country.

I've seen loads of his lectures and read his work. We would never have had a PM so grounded and with such an experienced worldview.

'I felt it ludicrous that I would be killed only eight kilometers into my journey and not for the first time worried that when I was killed people would think me foolhardy....'

This is a man who served in the military, lectured at Harvard, walked from Iran to Nepal and ran a post war province in Iraq. He has also set up humanitarian groups.

I suspect Stewart's time will come in the future, the last two weeks have put him on the map. Until this election most people hadn't even heard of him. In a time of extreme politics he's just claimed the centre ground before anyone else.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Although Boris has pretty clearly said he wants a deal and that 'no deal' is just a negotiating tactic (thus ruling it out as a negotiating tactic)

Not if they know it's a negotiating tactic which in return makes you weaker when they call your bluff. There are no shrewd strategies for this type of negotiation but it can be drawn out longer if games are being played. To actually plan for a no deal is going to be harder, more expensive and more time consuming than getting the deal over the line and the most that will happen is to pretend that we have a no deal contingency plan, when in fact we won't have a plan at all.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

And a real life 007 to boot! (perhaps!)

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I suspect Stewart's time will come in the future, the last two weeks have put him on the map. Until this election most people hadn't even heard of him. In a time of extreme politics he's just claimed the centre ground before anyone else.

Imagine him vs Starmer (or even Watson) at PMQs. Wouldn't that be refreshing?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not if they know it's a negotiating tactic which in return makes you weaker when they call your bluff. There are no shrewd strategies for this type of negotiation but it can be drawn out longer if games are being played. To actually plan for a no deal is going to be harder, more expensive and more time consuming than getting the deal over the line and the most that will happen is to pretend that we have a no deal contingency plan, when in fact we won't have a plan at all.

Quite. The only place its a negotiating tactic is in parliament as way to scare remainers into voting for the deal, its pointless in Europe. For all the criticism May got for taking no deal off the table, it does makes me wonder why May didn't use the other negotiating tactic available to her, to say it was her deal or a second ref and thus scare the ERG into voting for it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I remember an interview he did from about nine or ten years ago talking about his work in the Middle East so he has a very good understanding about Islam. I would trust him more than any other politician in this regard when dealing with Middle Eastern countries including Saudi Arabia.

As far as Brexit goes though, the next PM still has to convince the majority of Parliament to vote for the deal. I think that most would agree that Stewart has a much better chance of uniting parliament than Boris or Gove, and they will be in the same position as May. The next MP has to unite parliament or it will be another election and an extension on Brexit.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Quite. The only place its a negotiating tactic is in parliament as way to scare remainers into voting for the deal, its pointless in Europe. For all the criticism May got for taking no deal off the table, it does makes me wonder why May didn't use the other negotiating tactic available to her, to say it was her deal or a second ref and thus scare the ERG into voting for it.

She may have promised earlier that she wouldn't support a second referendum. I think this is all about who can unite parliament more than the deal itself.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I see that Farage has proposed a deal with Boris to push for a no-deal withdrawal.

It's a plan that makes sense: no-deal will clearly be rejected by this parliament but a Brexit/Tory alliance would get it through. A Tory/BP coalition for five years (but I suspect that it would lead to end of both of them as viable parties).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Eventually, the factions of the Tory party will fall into line to get it through, for no other reason than that ultimately Tory MPs care more about their party than their country.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I see that Farage has proposed a deal with Boris to push for a no-deal withdrawal.

It's a plan that makes sense: no-deal will clearly be rejected by this parliament but a Brexit/Tory alliance would get it through. A Tory/BP coalition for five years (but I suspect that it would lead to end of both of them as viable parties).

How many MPs do you foresee the Brexit Party contributing to this coalition, given that they couldn't score an open goal in Peterbrough the other week?

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove

what eould Farage have to offer? He has no mps to affect a parliamentary vote until an election which would likely result in tories being wiped out.

Jan 30, 2008
There won't be a no deal scenario.

It will roll on until another solution is found.

A no deal might be okay for you but it won't be for millions of others here and elsewhere.

Is that definate then or just because you say so like a few others on here , sounds to me like you're trying to put a brave face on reality
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here