Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Our next prime minister BBC 1

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If it wasn’t so scary it would be funny - 160k Daily Mail readers (who will all be lording this moment) are making a decision for 80 million. There should be a general election.

Why? Who should be the leader of the party which won, albeit with help, the last election is being voted on. Why should the party be voted on? It all sounds rather like those who didn't like the referendum result and she who must be obeyed in Scotland wanting the best of three or whatever until they get the result they like - in the name of democracy, of course.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why? Who should be the leader of the party which won, albeit with help, the last election is being voted on. Why should the party be voted on? It all sounds rather like those who didn't like the referendum result and she who must be obeyed in Scotland wanting the best of three or whatever until they get the result they like - in the name of democracy, of course.
Oh look, one of the old white males in the south east that make up most of the voters has spoken.

Presumably your swipe at others "in the name of democracy" doesn't extend to Boris Johnson, who has cheerfully not ruled out proroguing parliament in case they vote against his no deal? I'm sure you're not that much of an utter hypocrite though eh?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Boris hinted at a GE, I know that's what his old man is telling him he has to do.

So we have a GE and its pretty much a 4 horse race, Tories / Brexit pressure group coalition or Lib Dem / Labour coalition.

A pollsters nightmare how things would turn out. Would the Tories really campaign on "no deal" that only 1 in 4 of the electorate want?

Or could anyone win an overall majority?

Would the Tories pick up any new votes from 2017 anywhere?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Learning the lessons from history.

To my knowledge the last time that Parliament was prorogued was by Charles I (not as John Major insisted on the Today programme Charles II !) prior to the passing of the Grand Remonstrance (interestingly it was passed 52:48.....ring any bells?!!)

It didn't end well for Charles.

We already have remainers (and now my beloved Labour Party) trying to undermine our democratic process by calling for a second referendum, but I'm buggered if I would allow further greater damage to our democracy by the proroguing of Parliament to force through a Brexit deal.

Yes I voted leave, yes I want us to leave (as the country ordered in the referendum) but this is bigger than Brexit. It is a threat to our democratic processes. Do it once and it will be done again and again until democracy is replaced by dictatorship. We must not allow that to happen.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Boris what a slimy git leader in waiting he's a self serving narsacia posh **** he's premiership is going to be a disaster

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Judging by the reaction to this resignation by Senior Tories I don't think BoJo is going to last 5 minutes.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So we are going from being an equal (more than most the time ) to being run by Washington.

This is what Brexit was/is people like Johnson filling their pockets.

This is the future.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Learning the lessons from history.

To my knowledge the last time that Parliament was prorogued was by Charles I (not as John Major insisted on the Today programme Charles II !) prior to the passing of the Grand Remonstrance (interestingly it was passed 52:48.....ring any bells?!!)

It didn't end well for Charles.

We already have remainers (and now my beloved Labour Party) trying to undermine our democratic process by calling for a second referendum, but I'm buggered if I would allow further greater damage to our democracy by the proroguing of Parliament to force through a Brexit deal.

Yes I voted leave, yes I want us to leave (as the country ordered in the referendum) but this is bigger than Brexit. It is a threat to our democratic processes. Do it once and it will be done again and again until democracy is replaced by dictatorship. We must not allow that to happen.

Fair point, but the significant difference is that back in 1641 it was the losing side (the 48%) that prorogued Parliament, in an attempt to overthrow the result, not to facilitate it.

Agree these are worrying times for democracy though, with Parliament unilaterally trying to find ways to ignore/overturn/hope it goes away/reverse the result of the referendum..

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I hope you're right. Has your party decided what they stand for yet or will they still be squabbling about it by the time the next coalition is in place?

I think you know what the Labour Party policies are but you just like to make a smart comment, so you believe in ever lengthening queues for the NHS, culling the disabled, under funding schools and the police etc ???

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Boris hinted at a GE, I know that's what his old man is telling him he has to do.

So we have a GE and its pretty much a 4 horse race, Tories / Brexit pressure group coalition or Lib Dem / Labour coalition.

A pollsters nightmare how things would turn out. Would the Tories really campaign on "no deal" that only 1 in 4 of the electorate want?

Or could anyone win an overall majority?

Would the Tories pick up any new votes from 2017 anywhere?

D_BnrCDWsAIgB4H.jpg

Boris Johnson would deliver a 40-seat majority for Tories in an election, new poll shows

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...uld-deliver-40-seat-majority-tories-election/

Just imagine the reaction on here if this poll turned out to be vaguely accurate .... :lolol::eek::shootself

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you know what the Labour Party policies are but you just like to make a smart comment, so you believe in ever lengthening queues for the NHS, culling the disabled, under funding schools and the police etc ???
I know they're about higher income tax and honestly I'd be happy to give that a whirl - we certainly don't get any value from our taxes under the current shower of shite.

Unfortunately though, Labour cannot be trusted on the big issue of the day. You've got Starmer and Hoey in the same party and they are at complete odds. Hoey's answer to Brexit is to go no deal and throw the GFA in the bin. I mean, what the actual FüCK? Maybe they're a broad church covering all hues of leftism? Why then, did they move so quickly to bin off Alistair Campbell for voting LibDem out of frustration over Brexit? You'd think a party led by a bloke who has spent his entire career voting AGAINST Labour policy when led by centre-leftists would be a bit more tolerant. Broad church my arse. They're clueless, and if the choice is of being led by braying Tory donkeys or Labour asses, I'll go elsewhere - in fact, I suspect most of the country will, regardless of Brexit views.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
D_BnrCDWsAIgB4H.jpg

Boris Johnson would deliver a 40-seat majority for Tories in an election, new poll shows

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...uld-deliver-40-seat-majority-tories-election/

Just imagine the reaction on here if this poll turned out to be vaguely accurate .... :lolol::eek::shootself

The country is certainly stupid enough to vote in an incompetent, misogynistic Trump-bitch, no doubt about it, and that is partly the fault of a dreadful un-electable opposition.

Which as far as I'm concerned, just goes to show how broken the system is at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here