Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Houghton still unemployed

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Does kind of suggest that the years of struggle in the Premiership (even though they were expected by everyone) have taken the gloss off the excellent performances in the Championship. Doesn't seem to have affected Warnock: I guess his large number of promotions outweigh the fact he tends to get relegated straight after promotion to the top division.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hopefully sideways Stephens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A typical scene last season - Stephens receives the ball in a deep position, clearly looking forward to pass, yet no one makes a run, they’re all closely marked and make no effort to do anything about it. A static team. So he passes instead to a defender.

They in turn face the same problem.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
A typical scene last season - Stephens receives the ball in a deep position, clearly looking forward to pass, yet no one makes a run, they’re all closely marked and make no effort to do anything about it. A static team. So he passes instead to a defender.

Or the many times he simply gave the ball away but there you go let’s see what Harry potter comes up with,but sine way we need more goals from midfield

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Or the many times he simply gave the ball away but there you go let’s see what Harry potter comes up with,but sine way we need more goals from midfield

Agree with your last point 100%.

But I’d always want at least one or two (depending on the opposition) sitting in front of the back 4 as an insurance. The most successful teams always set up on a variation of that.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Apparently not. They are very reliant on youth from the academy

When Hughton took over Norwich 3/4 of the squad were over 30 and the average age of the 'starting 11' was 33. Hughton did a clear out after his first season at Norwich because he knew they would struggle badly if he didn't. All the players he brought in were younger, including 3 academy payers and he cut the average age of the squad to 27.

Norwich were tight-fisted with the money - the only club in the PL that season with no debt, they made £9million in profit despite being relegated, their wage bill was 17th in the PL and the ceo was paid more than most of the playing squad. There isn't a single player from the Norwich academy when Hughton was manager with Norwich today. Indeed the only two players from that academy playing at a relatively high level are the Murphy twins (who Hughton brought into the first team squad) - Josh at Cardiff and Jacob at WBA (on loan from Newcastle).

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

You can't make a forward pass if everyone is sideways on or behind you. That's a managerial/tactical decision to make sure no-one is further than 25 yards from their goal.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
When Hughton took over Norwich 3/4 of the squad were over 30 and the average age of the 'starting 11' was 33. Hughton did a clear out after his first season at Norwich because he knew they would struggle badly if he didn't. All the players he brought in were younger, including 3 academy payers and he cut the average age of the squad to 27.

Norwich were tight-fisted with the money - the only club in the PL that season with no debt, they made £9million in profit despite being relegated, their wage bill was 17th in the PL and the ceo was paid more than most of the playing squad. There isn't a single player from the Norwich academy when Hughton was manager with Norwich today. Indeed the only two players from that academy playing at a relatively high level are the Murphy twins (who Hughton brought into the first team squad) - Josh at Cardiff and Jacob at WBA (on loan from Newcastle).

You are right mate in a lot of what you say mate.

The Hierarchy took out a lot of the money out of the club that they had lost via the previous relegations but this is lost on Brighton fans, They really don't care and I agree. Why should they. Brighton fans for the most part have been great with Chris. Players were forced on him at Norwich, even the new players and he couldn't get rid of some of the ones he wanted to immediately coz they were fans favorites and they had gained two promotions. Just leave it mate.

Every time you put positives forward. You are just gonna be countered by negatives, These Boards are not filled with facts. The best thing to do it let the real facts speak for themselves. He got Brighton promoted and the football he played at the end was nothing like the football he played in taking Brighton to the PL. I don't say the results and football was great at the end but he achieved his goals and he earned millions by staying in the PL.

The aim is now for Brighton to play a brand of football that appeals to the fans. He has left a great legacy and a very good legacy and a better group of players than he inherited. That's up to the new Manager to move that group of players forward.

When Chris is ready, he will accept a new job. He will do it when he feels ready.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Interesting stuff but my point was that I doubt he would want the Derby job, or that they’d want him (their loss imo) as they are very keen on promoting youth. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

I stand to be corrected about his philosophy on players but in his Brighton tenure CH steered away from using academy players. Surely that can be considered a fact?

Any chance a mod could amend the thread title, the misspelling of Hughton’s name on a Brighton board annoys me :smile:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
You are right mate in a lot of what you say mate.

The Hierarchy took out a lot of the money out of the club that they had lost via the previous relegations but this is lost on Brighton fans, They really don't care and I agree. Why should they. Brighton fans for the most part have been great with Chris. Players were forced on him at Norwich, even the new players and he couldn't get rid of some of the ones he wanted to immediately coz they were fans favorites and they had gained two promotions. Just leave it mate.

Every time you put positives forward. You are just gonna be countered by negatives, These Boards are not filled with facts. The best thing to do it let the real facts speak for themselves. He got Brighton promoted and the football he played at the end was nothing like the football he played in taking Brighton to the PL. I don't say the results and football was great at the end but he achieved his goals and he earned millions by staying in the PL.

The aim is now for Brighton to play a brand of football that appeals to the fans. He has left a great legacy and a very good legacy and a better group of players than he inherited. That's up to the new Manager to move that group of players forward.

When Chris is ready, he will accept a new job. He will do it when he feels ready.

Great post

Some of the stuff on NSC about CH, has left me cold.
I’ve realised that some ( a worrying proportion), of my fellow fans wear rose tinted spectacles most of the time.

And they will be spitting dummies out, when, and it will be when, we struggle again next season.
Unless there is significant investment in the squad, and wage structure is changed to match clubs around us, we will struggle.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
So two teams in the Championship who want a manager to get them up to the Premier League have gone with an England U 17 manager and a manager who I think has only managed in the Premiership and got sacked.
Is CH now damaged goods as you would have thought he would have been a shoe in for one of these jobs

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Oh and by the way, if you’re going to spell it wrong, it’s Hewton FFS

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Great post

Some of the stuff on NSC about CH, has left me cold.
I’ve realised that some ( a worrying proportion), of my fellow fans wear rose tinted spectacles most of the time.

And they will be spitting dummies out, when, and it will be when, we struggle again next season.
Unless there is significant investment in the squad, and wage structure is changed to match clubs around us, we will struggle.

Me too...

Really disappointed by a lot of the comments on NSC, there are a number of posters who seem to find impossible without making a comment, about football style particularly.....

As [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] highlighted, the facts are CH saved us from relegation to L1 then had two highly successful and entertaining years in the championship culminating in promotion, then kept us in the hardest league in the world twice....

Gradual improvement is required and if we start going hung-ho attacking wise or don’t get the recruitment right, we will go down. Then it is less likely that we’ll see the U21s, as we’ll be in a relegation battle and that would be the wrong time to introduce them IMO.....

Difficult job for Potter and one CH in the main performed exceptionally well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
There can be very little doubt that the quality of football entertainment since December has been poor, some would say very poor, and some more still would say sufficient to make them vote with their feet. ST renewals have been not surprisingly well behind recent years’ high trends, and there has been no club news fanfare about how well renewals went. I saw a post where one fan on our ST waiting list was surprised to see he had jumped 2,000 places up the queue in April. Some fans would want PL survival at any cost, even if the entertainment value was zero. Some fans want entertainment and would accept being in the champ if that was the only way to get it. Most fans are somewhere in between. But there can be little doubt that football style, entertainment, and the risks of turning off fans and losing PL status simultaneously was a risk that TB foresaw and was not prepared to accept.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Me too...

Really disappointed by a lot of the comments on NSC, there are a number of posters who seem to find impossible without making a comment, about football style particularly.....

As [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] highlighted, the facts are CH saved us from relegation to L1 then had two highly successful and entertaining years in the championship culminating in promotion, then kept us in the hardest league in the world twice....

Gradual improvement is required and if we start going hung-ho attacking wise or don’t get the recruitment right, we will go down. Then it is less likely that we’ll see the U21s, as we’ll be in a relegation battle and that would be the wrong time to introduce them IMO.....

Difficult job for Potter and one CH in the main performed exceptionally well.

Yes, but if people are going to slag off the recruitment team or certain players that were not played to their strengths, then there is going to be push back.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Interesting stuff but my point was that I doubt he would want the Derby job, or that they’d want him (their loss imo) as they are very keen on promoting youth. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

I stand to be corrected about his philosophy on players but in his Brighton tenure CH steered away from using academy players. Surely that can be considered a fact?

Any chance a mod could amend the thread title, the misspelling of Hughton’s name on a Brighton board annoys me :smile:

It's an odd one, can a manager really have a 'tendency' to not use young players, it certainly appears so with Hughton? Or are the players available not good enough for whichever level the team is at? Hughton is certainly a popular choice to replace Lampard but given his reputation (whether we like it or not) for dour football and not playing youth he would have some convincing to do if, of course, he was even interested in the job. Mel Morris made it very clear on the radio that the philosophy of the club to bring through youth and play a certain style was now a non negotiable - I think he was burned by Gary Rowett's promises on this one....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes, but if people are going to slag off the recruitment team or certain players that were not played to their strengths, then there is going to be push back.

Ok. So do you think CH had good enough players to allow for a more attacking approach?

We tried to be more expansive once we had points in the bag, and we failed to deliver largely because of the quality of the players available. Of course people can argue that AJ was too deep or Locadia never played in his true position (whatever that is). But when they did or we did go forward, they looked completely lost.

Anyone who has played or coached to any decent level will know football without the ball is largely structure (which is CH’s strength).

With the ball, however, whilst there is structure and rehearsed movement, mainly you rely on natural ability and making the right decision. That is where I believe we struggle. Does anyone seriously believe that Izquierdo is always told to cut inside or Bissouma shoot from impossible angles?

It always looked to me that we wanted to absorb and break quickly, rather than press high and recover possession (as although we tried, we rarely looked comfortable). But breaking quickly does rely on pace and decision making.

I would also argue the nastiness of some of the comments post CH has warranted discussion about other areas within the club, namely the recruitment.

Really, we should just say ‘thank you’ to CH and hope Potter produces the goods, and if the players suddenly become world beaters, we’ll know CH didn’t use them properly.

I was disappointed when we signed AJ, but having see him genuinely believe there is hope for as he’ll be better for a pre-season and hopefully be injury free (he is not going to suddenly gain pace though), also Trossard seems a very exciting signing.

Locadia I simply don’t rate, but then I was also very excited when we signed CMS [emoji2].

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

The whole use of younger players is a difficult one to be fair.

I mean he did use them in the League Cup and also the FA Cup.

But in a relegation battle where every point is critical, is it that easy?

Off the top of my head, Molumby, Sanders, Gyokores and ?White, made the bench in the PL. I would say that’s not too bad.

Who would you have left out to play any of them?

For me maybe Molumby over Kayal, but really is that practical in a relegation battle?

Connolly is great, but not in CH’s formation arguably.

Even now, Potter/the club has signed Clarke when we have White - whilst realising he’ll go out on loan, it means he won’t start with us.

Walton/Sanchez - what happens to them, both more capable than Button IMO.

Tilley scores vs Barnet, but realistically likely to be released.

I just think it’s too easy to say youngsters aren’t given a chance, when there are so many factors.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There can be very little doubt that the quality of football entertainment since December has been poor, some would say very poor, and some more still would say sufficient to make them vote with their feet. ST renewals have been not surprisingly well behind recent years’ high trends, and there has been no club news fanfare about how well renewals went. I saw a post where one fan on our ST waiting list was surprised to see he had jumped 2,000 places up the queue in April. Some fans would want PL survival at any cost, even if the entertainment value was zero. Some fans want entertainment and would accept being in the champ if that was the only way to get it. Most fans are somewhere in between. But there can be little doubt that football style, entertainment, and the risks of turning off fans and losing PL status simultaneously was a risk that TB foresaw and was not prepared to accept.

Yes absolutely, can’t argue any of this.
Difficult decision for Bloom though, because if we go down the attendances may also, and we’ll lose the PL money (after a few seasons).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here