Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Houghton still unemployed

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The football being served up in the latter stages of his tenure would hardly endear him to fans of other clubs would it.
Never want to witness that again.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given how surprised he was at the sacking CH may have fallen out of love with football for a while. Why does he need to rush back before he is ready? I have no doubts that he would get the manager’s job at a decent Championship side once he feels like managing again and after the first round of sackings. I think he would struggle to get a job with a Premier League club until January time when a struggling club might call on him, on a short term contract. Maybe he has had enough of day to day football and will take on managing a National team?

I read absolutely nothing into him not having rushed back but he is definitely not damaged goods at Championship level. He may be at Premier League level though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So two teams in the Championship who want a manager to get them up to the Premier League have gone with an England U 17 manager and a manager who I think has only managed in the Premiership and got sacked.
Is CH now damaged goods as you would have thought he would have been a shoe in for one of these jobs

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

These are a good managers :jester:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
CH a top top person and manager any team with a vacancy in the championship he's your man for nailed on promotion

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think you have that the wrong way round. When we sacked GP we didn't pay his contract because if was for gross misconduct. He took us to court but withdrew when he got the Sunderland job. What manager is going to agree to leave on 'mutual agreement' if it doesn't come with a pay off?

I suspect the club did make a payment to Hughton as it was different circumstances to GP but who really knows? However, I assume that it was described as a sacking as Hughton didn't want to go.

I'm not sure why you're disagreeing with me, because we've said the same thing. Gus didn't get anything because he was sacked/dismissed for disciplinary matters or gross misconduct. The LMA backed him because they said the charges were frivolous, but they & Gus dropped the court case when he got the Sunderland job.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The Americans will think CH is the former president, Obama, who is actually a huge basketball fan, and also baseball fan.

Can definitely see CH rocking up at either the Boston Red Sox or Atlanta Braves in the next year or two after he's licked his wounds. Our loss is MLB's gain. "Oh say can you see..."

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I wouldn’t worry too much. I doubt Mrs. H is being forced to walk the pavement just yet.

I’ll bet it’s more along the lines of agents calling up and Chris going “Nah, you’re all right ta”

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Hughton to Derby.

I sincerely hope not - That's not to underestimate the fantastic job he did it Brighton, he was absolutely fundamental in your ascension to the PL, but if Lampard is to leave, appointing Hughton would be such a big change in direction. Part of Lampard's remit (as was Rowett's) was to bring a style of play that reflected the academy teams and therefore enabled him to bring through players from the academy (The Derby way, you may reacall) and where Rowett disregarded that, Lampard embraced it. I don't think Hughton can, or would be willing to, do that. As mentioned elsewhere, we had the best academy team in the country this season, 18 year old Jayden Bogle played 40+ games, we had another 18 year old on the bench in the play off final. Progress on that front must be continued.

I'm sure Hughton still has a future, I just hope it's not at Derby.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I sincerely hope not - That's not to underestimate the fantastic job he did it Brighton, he was absolutely fundamental in your ascension to the PL, but if Lampard is to leave, appointing Hughton would be such a big change in direction. Part of Lampard's remit (as was Rowett's) was to bring a style of play that reflected the academy teams and therefore enabled him to bring through players from the academy (The Derby way, you may reacall) and where Rowett disregarded that, Lampard embraced it. I don't think Hughton can, or would be willing to, do that. As mentioned elsewhere, we had the best academy team in the country this season, 18 year old Jayden Bogle played 40+ games, we had another 18 year old on the bench in the play off final. Progress on that front must be continued.

Fear not.

All the talk seems to be of John Terry now.

:facepalm:

Hughton would be a great choice for any team wanting promotion to the PL. Basically a pretty much guaranteed success.

I wonder which team will make the good call available ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was only pulling your leg old boy...

I would have added:

Moyes,
McLaren,
Keane,
Ince...

And some comedy old gold in:

Phil Brown,
Paul Jewel,
Danny Wilson,
Frank Clark,
Kevin Keegan,
Tony Adams,
Christian Gross.

You forgot Curbishly and Souness.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

My first thought on this was exactly as you say. CH does not trust inexperienced young players and will only be successful (imo) in taking a team out of the Championship if he has experienced players to form the backbone. The talk of needing to see players at least 30 times in training before he trusted them sounds possible (no idea if this was fact or supposition btw).

Derby seem determined to go for the young player approach, this does not sound like a job made in heaven for either Derby or CH

Depending on his current relationship with TB it’ll be interesting to see if he wants to take some players from the Albion to his new club, assuming he still wants to be involved in day to day football pressures. I cannot imagine that he NEEDS a job

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I hope not as well, if you don't want to repeat our cycle. He'd get you up within a season or two but all the evidence suggests the initial PL campaign will then be a backs to the wall effort with more experienced players to the fore. Of course, whoever you DO get in may not win anything at all with kids. That's your risk and reward decision.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My first thought on this was exactly as you say. CH does not trust inexperienced young players and will only be successful (imo) in taking a team out of the Championship if he has experienced players to form the backbone. The talk of needing to see players at least 30 times in training before he trusted them sounds possible (no idea if this was fact or supposition btw).

Derby seem determined to go for the young player approach, this does not sound like a job made in heaven for either Derby or CH

Depending on his current relationship with TB it’ll be interesting to see if he wants to take some players from the Albion to his new club, assuming he still wants to be involved in day to day football pressures. I cannot imagine that he NEEDS a job

Mount ...Wilson...Tomori wont even be there in all probability so you wonder what ‘young’ side will be ..and even when they were Derby failed yet again to gain promotion.....as i mentioned in an earlier post a Derby fan called in to Talkshite yesterday evening hoping they would go for CH when Frankie leaves so there is some love there

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Looking forward to seeing him back at St. Andrews for the pre-season friendly.Apparently,Monk has thrown his toys out again.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Mount ...Wilson...Tomori wont even be there in all probability so you wonder what ‘young’ side will be ..and even when they were Derby failed yet again to gain promotion.....as i mentioned in an earlier post a Derby fan called in to Talkshite yesterday evening hoping they would go for CH when Frankie leaves so there is some love there

More loans I imagine and not expensive ones either which discounts Premier League experience. Who knows, I just think he’d be a really bad fit there given their interfering hierarchy and the fans expectation of a certain style.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The talk of needing to see players at least 30 times in training before he trusted them sounds possible (no idea if this was fact or supposition)

There’s been an awful lot made of this 30 times metric (not that you are). It translates to 6 weeks. That doesn’t seem unduly cautious to me, tbh.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
He'll be back when he chooses, CH's stock is still pretty high....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here