Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class Juan Albion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pontypool (Not THAT Pontypool, the one with the zombies)
    Posts
    30,202

    More nonsense going on at Charlton Athletic


    1 Not allowed!
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d0...ract-extension

    Official statement.


    Charlton Athletic have been unable to reach an agreement with manager Lee Bowyer regarding the extension of his contract.

    The fact the club is for sale has not helped with finding an agreement. The current owner needs to take into account that a new owner may want to appoint his own manager. However, this concern did not stop the current owner proposing a contract extension of one year to Lee Bowyer, even though the club may be sold in a few weeks. Under those circumstances a multi-year extension would not be good business practice.

    In addition, since the club is still losing money, which is one of the reasons why the club has not been sold yet, the focus on reducing costs means that we are extremely limited on payroll increases.

    Lee has been offered a one-year extension to his contract at a level which is approximately three times what he had since his last increase when he became permanent manager in September. It is six times what he earned when he started as assistant manager in 2017 and 50% more than what any Charlton manager previously had (excluding the Premier League years). This reflects the strong desire we have to continue to have Lee as our manager. But Lee wanted much more.

    The owner understands Lee’s point of view, because many Championship clubs pay huge amounts (some pay millions of £ per year) to their manager. It is fair that Lee feels he should be paid like many other Championship managers. That the average Championship club makes a loss of around £15 million per year is not something players should care about. The owners are crazy.

    This is why we could not come to an agreement. Another element may have influenced as well. Unlike previous contract discussions, Lee wanted an agent to handle it. We reluctantly accepted. However, involving a player agent in a manager’s contract discussion is not healthy. If the agent helps make the manager more money, it may result in the manager to have a more positive attitude towards players proposed by the same agent, a conflict of interest. Obviously, Lee is above such things, but it is nevertheless not a healthy situation.

    The club hasn’t started to look for any other manager in the meantime and does not intend to appoint a permanent manager, since the club is going to be sold. A caretaker manager will be announced in due course and in the meantime the other staff members will continue to prepare the upcoming season for which a lot of good work has been performed already.

    If Lee does change his mind before his contract expires and chooses to continue his good work at Charlton, he is still welcome to stay.

    However our ability to sell the club is the most important thing right now.
    Daniel Ortega must go. Hero turned villain. Murderous scum.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #2
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      26,336


      7 Not allowed!
      Am I being overly generous or naive? Or missing the point? It doesn't seem that bad to me. They explain their position, they are quite fair about Bowyer's position, going out of their way to not paint him as being greedy or selfish. The involvement of agents would be a conflict of interest, they are trying to sell the club, and rein in their spending, etc.
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more
    • #3
      NOT the Honey Badger Badger's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      11,419


      10 Not allowed!
      That's an official club statement? It seems incredibly badly written.
      People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.
    • #4
      Members Barham's tash's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Rayners Lane
      Posts
      2,218


      1 Not allowed!
      Controversial I know but is it nonsense? If factually incorrect with regards the % thrown around that’s one thing but is there anything nonsense in that release? A transparent wholly honest statement regarding the stupidity of modern football it may be but nonsense is not a word I would use.
      @Juan Albion I’m not having a pop btw just answering the article.

      Sit next to an ardent Valiant at work and he thought something like this would happen with Bowyer.

      Have to say I understand Bowyer’s stance to an extent - we all want to be paid market value - but you have to say he can’t be wholly committed to the club in the circumstances.
    • #5
      Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class Juan Albion's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Pontypool (Not THAT Pontypool, the one with the zombies)
      Posts
      30,202


      5 Not allowed!
      The nonsense is that they are, in effect, calling their manager a greedy bar steward. Sure, they have their reasons, but you don't air dirty laundry like this, especially when they go on to say they hope he changes his mind and stays.
      Daniel Ortega must go. Hero turned villain. Murderous scum.
    • #6
      Members Barham's tash's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Rayners Lane
      Posts
      2,218


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Juan Albion View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The nonsense is that they are, in effect, calling their manager a greedy bar steward. Sure, they have their reasons, but you don't air dirty laundry like this, especially when they go on to say they hope he changes his mind and stays.
      They’re not though. To me they respect his decision to want to be paid market raid but saying they don’t believe market rate to be sustainable.
    • #7
      Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class Juan Albion's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Pontypool (Not THAT Pontypool, the one with the zombies)
      Posts
      30,202


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Barham's tash View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      They’re not though. To me they respect his decision to want to be paid market raid but saying they don’t believe market rate to be sustainable.
      That's not how I read the 4th paragraph.
      Daniel Ortega must go. Hero turned villain. Murderous scum.
    • #8
      Brain dead MUG SHEEP Easy 10's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Location Location
      Posts
      55,287


      4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Juan Albion View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The nonsense is that they are, in effect, calling their manager a greedy bar steward. Sure, they have their reasons, but you don't air dirty laundry like this, especially when they go on to say they hope he changes his mind and stays.
      Agreed. They've hung him out to dry here by revealing what SHOULD be details on private negotiations. The fact that its worded "politely" doesn't detract from the fact that they've now publically painted him as being greedy.

      I have no idea if what Bowyer is asking for is unreasonable, but this public statement has probably scuppered any chances of a deal being agreed now. A one year extension is perhaps understandable given that the club is up for sale, but doesn't offer much stability for Bowyer.

      He's done a great job there despite all the chaos and uncertainty off the field. The right thing to do would be to state that an agreement couldn't be reached and part ways, leave it at that. Instead, the CAFC board are obviously looking to pre-empt any criticism if Bowyer walks, by openly branding him as a moneygrabber. Pretty shabby and not very professional.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"
    • #9
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      Faversham
      Posts
      18,824


      5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Juan Albion View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The nonsense is that they are, in effect, calling their manager a greedy bar steward. Sure, they have their reasons, but you don't air dirty laundry like this, especially when they go on to say they hope he changes his mind and stays.
      I understand exactly your point.

      You don't go on twatter to say your missus is thinking about leaving you after a disagreement about how fat she is getting, but that you hope she stays, unless you're completely drunk.
      Last edited by Harry Wilson's tackle; 17-06-2019 at 19:20.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA
      It's only them that aren't their targets that love the violent and the madmen
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLijS6Cstk
    • #10
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      26,336


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Juan Albion View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      That's not how I read the 4th paragraph.
      But the fifth paragraph explains how what he want is market rate. I think if you take the statement as a whole they are being fairer to him than if you just read the fourth paragraph in isolation. To me, the 4th paragraph is a 'look, were not deliberately being stingy, this is the charlton context for what we're offering' and the fifth paragraph is 'this is the lee bowyer context for what he's asking, and why it's an reasonable desire'
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •