Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] More nonsense going on at Charlton Athletic

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
"This reflects the strong desire we have to continue to have Lee as our manager. But Lee wanted much more."

Sorry but they've proper done the snide on him with that part of the statement. There's really no other way of interpreting it. That part colours the entire statement.

This.

I prefer the confidential and classy way the Albion board act in all such circumstances.

In the face of deliberate provocation - Poyet’s faux shock on TV, the LMA and Troy Townsend both this year.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But again, you are being selective and taking one comment. Why not take this one:

"The owner understands Lee’s point of view, because many Championship clubs pay huge amounts (some pay millions of £ per year) to their manager. It is fair that Lee feels he should be paid like many other Championship managers."

?

Because the rest of that entire statement is just self-serving fluff.

Quite apart from the details of 3x this and 6x that, they could quite EASILY have entirely left out the line "But Lee wanted much more" - they didn't. And that spoke volumes. It sets the tone.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Bowyer won’t get another Championship gig now. He’ll have to start again in League One (or abroad). Well done to his agent!

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Couldn't they afford a spokesperson who can write a proper statement?

That is awful. So grammatically 'clunky' it reads as if a teenager wrote it (I have nothing against teenagers and have one sitting next to me right now).

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Surely it would have made sense, as he has never managed in the Championship before, to accept a decent rise which would increase incrementally with every season staying in the Championship and negotiable if they get to the Premier League.
Agents are poison in this game.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Maybe. But a lot of fans also want transparency. I read that last line as more of a 'no hard feelings' than a 'come on, let's keep talking'. To me that reads as if the negotiations are over, so 'negotiations are ongoing' would be false. They've ended and the club wanted to be open about why a deal couldn't be done, explaining their position, and why Bowyer's position wasn't unreasonable.

And perhaps there's also an element of wanting to make it clear to potential buyers they are working to reduce losses, and not have locked in obligations that would be needed to be paid off. Vague, non-statements will lead to rumours and innuendo that could negatively impact on their efforts to secure the clubs future through new ownership.

I think that is the only reason a statement like that would be released - Given the fan protests in recent years, they more than likely want to avoid that again going into a Championship season for the first time in quite a few years. The Potential new Owners probably also want Transparency and they would no doubt have discussed whether they get landed with a large contract to a Manager who is essentially taking a big step up. They would be the ones who need to compensate it in part if he fails at Championship level.

I think it is good for fans that they released the statement but personally I don't think it is helpful overall. These things should be kept ''in house'' - It will be interesting to see how much the new owners really plan to invest. Are they planning to consolidate in the Championship. Or are they going to be like many other Championship Clubs and have a real go at getting to the PL.

Who are the ''Potential Buyers'' anyhow ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I can’t really believe some of the comments on here, backing a Charlton owner, who is reviled by the fans and most others, against a manager who has taken them up despite the Charlton owner.
Bizarre!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I can’t really believe some of the comments on here, backing a Charlton owner, who is reviled by the fans and most others, against a manager who has taken them up despite the Charlton owner.
Bizarre!

It’s not backing an owner. The guys a complete plum but maybe only as much of a plum as Bowyer’s agent expecting mega bucks because they’ve gone from earning c£2m a season from tv revenue to c£5m.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bizarre!

Probably anti Lee Bowyer spite and/or jealousy of those who can ask for a good contract. In 2011 I remember some short sighted dimwits not wanting the brilliant Muzza to get the contract he deserved (which would’ve been far lower than that awarded to CMS, Buckley and Vicente).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bizarre!

Lee Bowyer is an angel isn't he

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But the fifth paragraph explains how what he want is market rate. I think if you take the statement as a whole they are being fairer to him than if you just read the fourth paragraph in isolation. To me, the 4th paragraph is a 'look, were not deliberately being stingy, this is the charlton context for what we're offering' and the fifth paragraph is 'this is the lee bowyer context for what he's asking, and why it's an reasonable desire'
I do agree with you, but there was just no need to say so much. They could have just said they've been pleased with the work he has done and wanted to keep him on, but the imminent sale of the club means that they can't currently offer Lee the security he requires (or similar).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very surprising, given the odd and corrosive statement they issued yesterday. I guess in the end, money always talks.

"Stability is essential and I am very pleased we now have the best man in place to lead us forward next season.” - that "stability" Duchatelet speaks of being a 1 year deal. Very stable I'm sure.

Modern football.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I understand exactly your point.

You don't go on twatter to say your missus is thinking about leaving you after a disagreement about how fat she is getting, but that you hope she stays, unless you're completely drunk.

Excellent, thank you, I did the right thing then.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A new contract extension may have been agreed but something tells me this is going to end badly and quickly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here