Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Quirky stadiums

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I just love the fact that it is a football book written by David Bauckham. For me, that even beats 'Anders Dreyer' in the European U21 Championships thread.

Dave used to be on the PA at Eastbourne Borough.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Galle Stadium in Sri Lanka is built in a 17th century Dutch fort.

Gallestadium -kuf--621x414@LiveMint.jpg

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I thought those pictures were of the pitch that used to be at the top of Wilson Avenue next to the race course, Wright’s farm.

Wright’s farm is where my football career came to a premature end with a twisted knee and nipped cartilage. Never fancied an operation so that was that. Cricket it was after that.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Wright’s farm is where my football career came to a premature end with a twisted knee and nipped cartilage. Never fancied an operation so that was that. Cricket it was after that.

With respect, I hope your footballing career didn’t peak at Wright’s Farm. If so perhaps cricket was the right choice

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I think NYCFC are the only football club who play in a baseball stadium.

yankee_stadium.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
md20160626-13082.jpg

They did "soccer" at the marvellous Target Field, home of the Minnesota Twins too. It doesn't really fit a baseball stadium very well though.

Be interesting to see how they accommodate the Yankees vs Red Sox at the London Stadium at the end of the month.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I assume from your user name that you are ( or were ) a groundhopper.

Have you read " The history of non-league football grounds" ?
Some lovely stuff in there.

No, not a groundhopper, although I've been to probably every senior ground (county up) in Sussex and played on the parks too. Nomad was the forum which used to be particularly busy for non league Sussex county football.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think NYCFC are the only football club who play in a baseball stadium.

View attachment 111696

Not even sure footballs 3rd behind Baseball and Advertising in that ground. Monstrous, why not stick an athletics track round the edge and really **** it up!

Very close to Hampden Park, by the way.

65de879f18880d476605f02929881a06.jpg
I didn't know Third Lanark and Queens Park were almost as close as Dundee and United. You'd have thought that when Third Lanark folded, the Scottish FA might have bought Hampden as there was a vacant and more suitable ground on the doorstep for QP to move into. I've found this pic of cathkin Park

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here