Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Quirky stadiums

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I went there for the FA Vase semi against Oxford City but didn't notice anything of particular interest!

I'm not sure where this stadium is but it staged this week's friendly or minor tournament match between Syria and North Korea. The designer seems to have forgotten the slopey bit in the stand behind the goal! In fact it looks like all the prime viewing space has been wasted...
View attachment 112756
View attachment 112757
View attachment 112758

Weirdly it reminds of a slightly better version of Roots Hall.

Loving this thread and racking my brains to be able to contribute something unique.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Stunning isn't it. They really do push the boundaries of stadium design in the US.

so much so that some of them fall down . . . I used to work for the canopy Roofing company Koch Hi-tex that built this in Stuttgart . . . . the American rivals 'bird air' have had a few of theirs collapse. . . . . Neckarstadion_2011.jpg

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
images.jpeg.jpg
1d.jpg
My second club Goztepe in Turkey are close to completing a remarkable stadium. Also have a similar history to us. Relegated from the top flight 20 years ago, they slumped to the 5th tier before returning the same day as us. Stayed up last season with a penalty in the last 10 minutes. They are the biggest club outside Istanbul and got a world record second division attendance in the 80s - over 80,000 for a promotion derby game.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
View attachment 115016
View attachment 115018
My second club Goztepe in Turkey are close to completing a remarkable stadium. Also have a similar history to us. Relegated from the top flight 20 years ago, they slumped to the 5th tier before returning the same day as us. Stayed up last season with a penalty in the last 10 minutes. They are the biggest club outside Istanbul and got a world record second division attendance in the 80s - over 80,000 for a promotion derby game.

I can see in the small image a turf roof.

turf roof.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I didn't know Third Lanark and Queens Park were almost as close as Dundee and United. You'd have thought that when Third Lanark folded, the Scottish FA might have bought Hampden as there was a vacant and more suitable ground on the doorstep for QP to move into. I've found this pic of cathkin Park

QP will be moving into Little Hampden, I think, next year.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
That looks like it's going to be the closest ground to a National Rail station (presuming that's what it is).

I'm pleased because they already have a lovely and adequate ground yet the hypocrites wanted to build another one on environmental grounds ???

That is indeed Kew Bridge station, one stop closer to Clapham Junction than Brentford.

I'm hoping we don't play there for a while barring cup ties, pre-season friendlies or Brentford being promoted.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In the Netherlands VVV Venlo (playing at De Koel) got weird open air stairs leading from the dressing room to the pitch.

DVMdh74XcAALudP.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here