Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] An ignorant cyclists

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Like you're supposed to you mean? You've gone down in my estimation with this post.

And what have the wrap around sunnies got to do with anything? These are required to stop flies smashing into your eyeballs at 30mph as I've found out to my cost!

Like I'm supposed to what ? Hang back behind them because Lycra Larry wants to take up the whole road while he's having his conversation ? He wasn't overtaking the other guy, he was literally cycling in the middle of the road chatting to him. There was no way safely past him, so everyone just had to trundle along to HIS pace until we reached the roundabout.

Sorry, but thats just bloody rude. I'm also a cyclist, and it would not even occur to me to do that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yep I wonder how many cyclists actively want to share road space with a bus?

I genuinely have mixed feelings. As the bus I’m on rears up the back of a cyclist I genuinely think “poor ****er, he’s only getting himself to work, he doesn’t need this”.
But I also wish the cyclist didn’t exist. Or at the very least that the bus driver would just step on the accelerator so I can run to the back of the bus and see a mangled bike frame, followed by a smear of blood and entrails be spat out behind us. A kind of gruesome and macabre game of pooh-sticks.
Double Think.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its the cvnts who cycle along side by side so that they can have a little chit-chat that really boil my piss. I had one of those muppets in front of me when I was driving over the bridge going out of Shoreham High Street about a week ago. Typical lycra-clad GOON in wrap-around sunnies, smack in the middle of the road so he could chat with his mate. There was no way past, so I gave him a blast on the horn and eventually got past him at the roundabout - naturally to a gobful of abuse and gestures.

Some of them are utter vermin.

Strange story.

You can't overtake on the bridge unless it's clear from the other direction.
We all know that's a hens tooth type situation.

Then there's island furniture down the middle of the road.

So I reckon these wrap around sunnie wearers must have held you up for 30 secs max.

Sorry for your inconvenience.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have just been driving down the A259 towards Felpham where highways England have just spent a fortune laying a cycle path up to Littlehampton when I saw a big tailback going eastwards behind a a bloke on a bike lest than 4 foot from the cycle path riding on the road . Are these people thick?

Yes - but not alone.

Street I work on has a cycle lane and still the majority of the selfish knobheads insist on cycling on the pavement.

But unless or until the OB start handing out penalty notices to these inconsiderate ********, the dangerous practice will no doubt continue

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Perhaps the cycle lane is unkempt, littered with brambles and broken glass, and a danger to all, despite the enormous expense. Like Madonna's growler, perhaps (to theme with the topical music thread)

It's a valid point. There's a cycle lane, (a proper, separate cycle lane not just a line of paint on the tarmac), on Ditchling Road from Old Boat Corner down to about the top of Hollingbury Park. It used to piss me off that only about 30% of cyclists ever used it and the rest continued to use the road. Then I walked down it. Jeez it's lethal. It's been made really cheaply and the surface is badly eroded so that there are little 'cliffs' where the surface suddenly drops about four inches. I don't blame any cyclist for not using it, it barely pasts muster as a pedestrian footpath.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
like Madonna's growler:bowdown:

what a brilliant addition to my urban dictionary

Something that was once picturesque and/or desirable but has seen better days following years of abuse. is it your creation - or am i just out of touch? Whatever the answer. i'm nicking it!

I pinched it, I must confess. From Alan Carr, of all people :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's a valid point. There's a cycle lane, (a proper, separate cycle lane not just a line of paint on the tarmac), on Ditchling Road from Old Boat Corner down to about the top of Hollingbury Park. It used to piss me off that only about 30% of cyclists ever used it and the rest continued to use the road. Then I walked down it. Jeez it's lethal. It's been made really cheaply and the surface is badly eroded so that there are little 'cliffs' where the surface suddenly drops about four inches. I don't blame any cyclist for not using it, it barely pasts muster as a pedestrian footpath.

All the cycle paths in Faversham (national cycle route) are an embarrassment. Who would ever have thought it - the modern English get a good idea then can't execute it properly owing to lack of knowhow, or even a clear view of what it actually even is. :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Strange story.

You can't overtake on the bridge unless it's clear from the other direction.
We all know that's a hens tooth type situation.

Then there's island furniture down the middle of the road.

So I reckon these wrap around sunnie wearers must have held you up for 30 secs max.

Sorry for your inconvenience.

Not strange at all. Strange behaviour from the biker perhaps.

There is ample opportunity to pass perfectly safely along that stretch if someone ISN'T merrily cycling along in the middle of the road. I've cycled along there many times myself and not held up any traffic.

But if you think its entirely justifiable to be nearer the stripes than the kerb so that you can continue a conversation with a cycle buddy, then we're not really going to see eye to eye on this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not strange at all. Strange behaviour from the biker perhaps.

There is ample opportunity to pass perfectly safely along that stretch if someone ISN'T merrily cycling along in the middle of the road. I've cycled along there many times myself and not held up any traffic.

But if you think its entirely justifiable to be nearer the stripes than the kerb so that you can continue a conversation with a cycle buddy, then we're not really going to see eye to eye on this.

No I'm completely in agreement with you.
As is customary there are knobends everywhere, I'm just not sure the vitriol matches the crime, esp as I'm sure you were able to speed away (we all know you did, I certainly would have done) to make up for those few seconds lost.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
When driving or cycling I always think it helpful to think of the other driver/cyclist as a friend or family member. An older driver poodling along. Think of them as your old man. Someone cutting into a queue - that could have been me when I was younger. A cyclist on a road where there's a cycle lane in proximity - that could be a daughter who has made a conscious decision to cycle in the road (I may disagree - that happens). On my bike a car driver who overtakes too closely and then 100yards later turns right - could be a brother. People make mistakes. I know I do.

I know one thing - thinking of people as vermin does not help.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No I'm completely in agreement with you.
As is customary there are knobends everywhere, I'm just not sure the vitriol matches the crime, esp as I'm sure you were able to speed away (we all know you did, I certainly would have done) to make up for those few seconds lost.

Its not about making up "seconds lost", I wasn't in a hurry, but it was just bloody rude. We all have to share the limited roadspace as safely as we can, and we're all just trying to get to where we want to go. The selfish arrogance of (a) his cycling behaviour and then (b) his subsequent abuse is where my vitriol stemmed from.

There are nobbers everywhere though, you're right. On two wheels and four.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
love the way cyclists hit your wing mirror and just piss of down the road, need registration tax and insurance.

I drive a lot. That has never ever happened to me but perhaps I give cyclists a little more respect than some folk.

Plenty of twats in cars that have clipped my wing mirror though, both when parked and when driving. Rarely do they stop. When they do they deny any responsibility because, well, they're car drivers so have no responsibility or ownership at all.

Not sure what insurance is for when its never a car driver's fault; ditto registration. Those tossers in low emission vehicles with no tax are the worst obviously......

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its not about making up "seconds lost", I wasn't in a hurry, but it was just bloody rude. We all have to share the limited roadspace as safely as we can, and we're all just trying to get to where we want to go. The selfish arrogance of (a) his cycling behaviour and then (b) his subsequent abuse is where my vitriol stemmed from.

There are nobbers everywhere though, you're right. On two wheels and four.

Odd use of the word 'share'. :lol:

And you did speed off that's a fact.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I reckon there's some bravado that makes SOME cyclists ride on the road, parallel to a cycle path. It's almost as if using the path diminishes their masculinity.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I reckon there's some bravado that makes SOME cyclists ride on the road, parallel to a cycle path. It's almost as if using the path diminishes their masculinity.
I won't use a shared cycle path if I'm riding at 20 ish mph.
I won't use a cycle path if it's shared with a beach!!!
I won't use a cycle path if it's on the wrong side of the road and I'm unable to get on it.
I won't use a cycle path if the crossing junctions aren't safe.
I won't use a cycle path if the quality of 'road' is unsafe.

I'm sure there are other reasons.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Two other problems with that path - it's a shared path (as you've shown by walking along it) - and the road itself has a great surface and is wide so it's not really needed.

I believe the crap surface is because it's in the National Park, and tarmac would look out of place, but that doesn't apply to roads!

The cyclepath alongside Falmer road is in an even worse state.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
love the way cyclists hit your wing mirror and just piss of down the road, need registration tax and insurance.

I've driven an average of around 30,000 miles a year for the last 20 years and never had a cyclist hit my wing mirror. Are you driving a bit close to them or something?

I have had cars drive into me twice whilst cycling, though (in my average of a measly few hundred miles per year cycling).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here