Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] An ignorant cyclists

Felpham Seagull

May 15, 2013
Felpham
I have just been driving down the A259 towards Felpham where highways England have just spent a fortune laying a cycle path up to Littlehampton when I saw a big tailback going eastwards behind a a bloke on a bike lest than 4 foot from the cycle path riding on the road . Are these people thick?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
'An ignorant cyclists' reminds me of the joke 'What's the difference between a duck'.

And yes, some cyclists are either thick or unkind much like motor car drivers.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I have just been driving down the A259 towards Felpham where highways England have just spent a fortune laying a cycle path up to Littlehampton when I saw a big tailback going eastwards behind a a bloke on a bike lest than 4 foot from the cycle path riding on the road . Are these people thick?

That cyclepath ran over budget at a cost of nearly 2 million pounds and
It's hardly ever used.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Perhaps the cycle lane is unkempt, littered with brambles and broken glass, and a danger to all, despite the enormous expense. Like Madonna's growler, perhaps (to theme with the topical music thread)

Jul 7, 2003
So, without wanting to upset [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] this is something that bugs me. I agree that there should be investment in cycle paths and the one on the A259 should be a very useful addition to the network. However, there are still a number of cyclists who don't use the cycle paths provided which will only then help those who argue that they are a waste of money.

I travel up the A273 most days and most days there will be someone stretching some lycra to its limits while weaving up the hill from Pyecombe at a pace which would embarrass an arthritic snail causing a huge tailback of traffic. There is an alternative route which takes out the hill but they don't bother with that. Then, once you get to Hassocks there is a cycle path from the edge of Hassocks to Burgess Hill but yet again, most decide that this isn't for them so continue to cause delays for the traffic.

Maybe there needs to be some legislation that forces cyclists to use cycle paths where the have been provided. This would not only stop these argument but also help the cycling community to lobby for more cycle paths to benefit both sides.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Think they’ve had a lot of trouble with nails (tacks) and the likes being thrown over the path. Christ knows why. It’s a bloody horrible road to ride down.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
9c9fb1f92ade0a81dd2ba5749ff9a3b4.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
To enforce cyclists to use the cycle lanes by law they would have to be legally safe to use...hahahahahaha good luck waiting for that to happen when its the place all the drains, manhole covers, water and gas access points are placed randomly to make your journey more eventful. They would also have to keep it clear of all the debris and crap thrown into it by cars/trucks.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are these rural cycle paths less suitable for road bikes with skinny tyres at high pressure? Due to small stones that might puncture the tyres and/or a surface that provides more resistant?

Just asking. A road cycling former colleague avoided them and preferred to stick to roads.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Teachers get too many holidays.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Where, exactly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here