Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] An ignorant cyclists

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I won't use a shared cycle path if I'm riding at 20 ish mph.
I won't use a cycle path if it's shared with a beach!!!
I won't use a cycle path if it's on the wrong side of the road and I'm unable to get on it.
I won't use a cycle path if the crossing junctions aren't safe.
I won't use a cycle path if the quality of 'road' is unsafe.

I'm sure there are other reasons.

I made sure I said 'SOME' to exclude people like yourself from my comment!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I made sure I said 'SOME' to exclude people like yourself from my comment!

The problem is that's an aweful lot of cycle paths and there's an aweful lot of cyclist like me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:rolleyes:

Whatever. Typical cyclist, never in the wrong. :whistle:

Other than the bits where I've said the cyclists are in the wrong.
Typical motorist, me, me, me. :lol: :kiss:

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
Its the cvnts who cycle along side by side so that they can have a little chit-chat that really boil my piss. I had one of those muppets in front of me when I was driving over the bridge going out of Shoreham High Street about a week ago. Typical lycra-clad GOON in wrap-around sunnies, smack in the middle of the road so he could chat with his mate. There was no way past, so I gave him a blast on the horn and eventually got past him at the roundabout - naturally to a gobful of abuse and gestures.

Some of them are utter vermin.

To overtake a single cyclist safely (leave enough space) on most roads you have to cross the centre of the road and ensure no oncoming traffic, with 2 cyclists side by side you have to do the same thing, so no difference? If anything a little safer as you don't have to travel as far to overtake.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To overtake a single cyclist safely (leave enough space) on most roads you have to cross the centre of the road and ensure no oncoming traffic, with 2 cyclists side by side you have to do the same thing, so no difference? If anything a little safer as you don't have to travel as far to overtake.

You double cycle don’t you ???

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Exactly! That what they say to do in the highway code, but car drivers have not looked at it since passing their test, so don't know the rules and act like twats.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Do we really have to have this debate every week (or day as it appears at the moment)?

Some cyclists are idiots, some drivers are idiots that is purely because some people are idiots.

I don't cycle, I just couldn't do it, I have a bit of a problem with anxiety and therefore knowing people would be annoyed with me, or looking at me just isn't my cup of tea. However that doesn't mean I hate them all. I will overtake when I can, I don't do it around a corner which will piss off some road users and make me looks like an idiot to them but I would rather not have to make the choice of forcing a cyclist off the road/under my car or smashing in to another that I couldn't see. I don't particularly care if they are having a chat next to each other as I was always taught to overtake and leave enough room as if they were a car. However, it will piss me off if I have overtaken with lots of room to be behind them again after some lights, for them to go through roadworks (literally round the barrier and then cut back in to the road) be riding at 6/7 mph having a chat in a 50 but that is more because it is selfish that the fact they are on a bike.

I do think it is an issue (not the best use of the word as with most there isn't a problem) that needs to be discussed without morons on both sides preaching that their side does nothing wrong. Certain roads are just dangerous for cyclists whether you like them or not, something needs to be done to either make these roads safe or offer alternative routes to be used. No solution will be ideal for both road users but compromises need to be made on both sides or this bollocks will just continue forever

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
You double cycle don’t you ???

On occasions on quiet roads, I do however drop back in single file when car comes from other way or behind, but tbh I don't see what difference it makes though? As an over take for a car is the same maneuver for 1 or 2 cyclist wide.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Without getting into the meet of the whole thing again, I do think that riding side by side is inappropriate and especially if there's a big group. It makes it very difficult for drivers to safely pass if the cyclists aren't riding at the speed of the road. I'm a loner on my bike, I rarely ride with anyone else but I wouldn't want to be riding side by side unless the road was completely clear, and then single file as soon as there is a motor approaching. It's safety all round.

I think the biggest issue is motorists misjudging the speed of a cyclist. I was nearly hammered off my bike this morning going down Old Shoreham Road toward the viaduct, someone half pulled out of the last road on the left and stopped sharply but I still had to momentarily go into the other lane to avoid hitting them. Obviously, going down that hill you're going to be at 20ish and you can't stop as suddenly as you can in a car. There is no way that the driver would have pulled out had a car been coming down the hill but presumably thought I was moving slowly enough that they had time, which was wrong and dangerous in the extreme. As it goes, the light was red at the viaduct and the motorist made a point of leaning out of the car to shout an apology to me, which I appreciated and accepted but it could have been a very different story had something been coming the other way. A momentary lapse of concentration can do life changing (or life ending) damage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's something nobody will find helpful :lol:

how_to_overtake_cyclists_lstwhl.png

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Without getting into the meet of the whole thing again, I do think that riding side by side is inappropriate and especially if there's a big group. It makes it very difficult for drivers to safely pass if the cyclists aren't riding at the speed of the road. I'm a loner on my bike, I rarely ride with anyone else but I wouldn't want to be riding side by side unless the road was completely clear, and then single file as soon as there is a motor approaching. It's safety all round.

I think the biggest issue is motorists misjudging the speed of a cyclist. I was nearly hammered off my bike this morning going down Old Shoreham Road toward the viaduct, someone half pulled out of the last road on the left and stopped sharply but I still had to momentarily go into the other lane to avoid hitting them. Obviously, going down that hill you're going to be at 20ish and you can't stop as suddenly as you can in a car. There is no way that the driver would have pulled out had a car been coming down the hill but presumably thought I was moving slowly enough that they had time, which was wrong and dangerous in the extreme. As it goes, the light was red at the viaduct and the motorist made a point of leaning out of the car to shout an apology to me, which I appreciated and accepted but it could have been a very different story had something been coming the other way. A momentary lapse of concentration can do life changing (or life ending) damage.

The biggest problem seems to be that the sight of a cyclist causes many car drivers to think they have to overtake. You can be ten metres from the tail end of a traffic jam and someone will overtake because you are on a bike. There's no thought process at all, no recognition that overtaking is pointless; that they will stop and you will pass them again in seconds it's, just a reaction of bike = overtake. It's the same on blind bends, bike = overtake as a reaction. Really bloody weird.

Make cycling part of the driving test, force people to realise and appreciate other road users. It should all be about consideration for all, with that consideration appropriate for the risks at large. Pedestrians and cyclists are vulnerable to car drivers, pedestrians are vulnerable to cyclists, car drivers are vulnerable to lorry drives etc.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The biggest problem seems to be that the sight of a cyclist causes many car drivers to think they have to overtake. You can be ten metres from the tail end of a traffic jam and someone will overtake because you are on a bike. There's no thought process at all, no recognition that overtaking is pointless; that they will stop and you will pass them again in seconds it's, just a reaction of bike = overtake. It's the same on blind bends, bike = overtake as a reaction. Really bloody weird.
Already highlighted by a driver on this thread.

It's all a bit sad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To overtake a single cyclist safely (leave enough space) on most roads you have to cross the centre of the road and ensure no oncoming traffic, with 2 cyclists side by side you have to do the same thing, so no difference?

No difference at all - if somehow you haven't managed to notice that some roads are much wider than others, often with more than two lanes. If the road is wide enough to pass a line of parked cars without having to stop for on-coming traffic, it is wide enough to overtake a bike.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Make cycling part of the driving test, force people to realise and appreciate other road users. It should all be about consideration for all, with that consideration appropriate for the risks at large. Pedestrians and cyclists are vulnerable to car drivers, pedestrians are vulnerable to cyclists, car drivers are vulnerable to lorry drives etc.

Overtaking anything or anybody on a blind bend is moronic and shows a complete lack of imagination!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't cycle that part of Lewes Road much, but every time I've gone past those road works at the University, where there are big signs saying 'do not over take cyclists' I've been overtaken, though only when heading north. Heading into town everyone seems to be more patient.

Anyway... here are some pretty bike lanes:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...ond-bicycle-architecture-biennale-in-pictures

Some not so good bike lanes

https://mpora.com/road-cycling/worst-cycle-lanes-ever-grace-the-earth-1

bike lanes of brighton
http://freddio.ueuo.com/cyclelanes/index.html

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Kill all cyclists! Scum!

We need more cars on the road and fewer cyclists.

Let’s stop spending money on these stupid cycle lanes that put pedestrians at risk and just ban bikes. Surely we’ve moved on since that antiquated invention!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

That's good take no notice of red lights, one way streets, cycle lanes, drive on the pavement. It will be a joy to drive

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I had two white vans pull out in front of me when cycling yesterday in the space of 50 yards who could've killed me. I was going circa 30mph in a 30mph zone and clearly visible. Which is worse?

Having been in Yorkshire for a year now and covered around a thousand miles on my bike without experience any abuse or threats from drivers (you'd be lucky to do ten miles in Sussex), I'm starting to think there's something wrong with the drivers down there.

Reminds me of that famous proverb; Sussex born, Sussex bred, Thick in the arm, Thick in the head

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
No difference at all - if somehow you haven't managed to notice that some roads are much wider than others, often with more than two lanes. If the road is wide enough to pass a line of parked cars without having to stop for on-coming traffic, it is wide enough to overtake a bike.

True story, some roads are wide enough for single file of bikes and car to remain on same side. I just wish they were all like that and no cars can park on the side of the road to obstruct cyclist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here