Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] An ignorant cyclists

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
love the way cyclists hit your wing mirror and just piss of down the road, need registration tax and insurance.

Love the way car drivers think it's ok to get their death wagons within reach of a cyclist.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Couldn't be more apt

[tweet]1140226022257942529[/tweet]

D9LyHkvWwAIiraR.jpg

D9Pi3VjXYAQdvfM.jpg

D9PeKuZX4AEqfss.jpg

D9LyjyIWwAAyPTc.jpg

D9LsdefXkAA5Usv.jpg

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The depressing lesson of west London's lost cycle route

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ssing-lesson-of-west-londons-lost-cycle-route

More or less every time a city orders a report into how expanding populations can be moved around in efficient ways that also improve liveability and sustainability, the same answer comes back: active travel – that is, more walking and cycling.

And yet in many of those same cities, when specific plans are introduced to make walking and cycling safer and more pleasant, they face a fierce backlash, which can be sufficiently noisy and disruptive to scupper the schemes.

Such wrecking tactics are, it appears, increasingly common even as the need to move away from vehicle-based cities becomes ever more urgent.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I had two white vans pull out in front of me when cycling yesterday in the space of 50 yards who could've killed me. I was going circa 30mph in a 30mph zone and clearly visible. Which is worse?

Having been in Yorkshire for a year now and covered around a thousand miles on my bike without experience any abuse or threats from drivers (you'd be lucky to do ten miles in Sussex), I'm starting to think there's something wrong with the drivers down there.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Sometimes I use cycle lanes, sometimes I don't.

Good reasons not to include:

- Pedestrians. The cycle lanes along the sea front from the lagoon to Marine Parade can be a nightmare, and tbh it's not like you hold up traffic along there anyway due to congestion, speed limits and traffic lights.

- Gravel. Examples being the B2123 leading to Falmer Road or the one at the top of Ditchling Road. They are just not suitable for road bikes.

The cyclist vs car thing is never ending. There are dick heads on both sides.

As it goes, it pisses me off when I see cyclists go through red lights or use their phones, but it's worse when car drivers do the same, or cut me up or are speeding in residential areas simply because they are more likely to kill/injure someone.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Generally I like to think that cyclists are a force for good, they’re out doing something healthy, they’re not burning fossil fuel, they have every right to use the road, sometimes wish I had the energy to get out there and make the effort. Then I find myself on the 700 bus after a twelve and a half hour night shift and there’s a cyclist puffing away in the wrong gear, six feet in front, slowing everything down , we get ahead then reach a stop and he’s back in front again, and I think “oh just **** off out of it, you prick”

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I just don’t like cyclists, unreasonable and wrong, but there you are. I give them plenty of room, I don’t abuse them or cut them up either. The arrogance (imo) of quite a few of them over the years has coloured my views I admit.

My opinion was cast in stone when in London, watching a group of tourists who were trying to cross the road and were in the cycle lane about to cross when a cyclist arrived cycling at full tilt and swerving through them, whilst abusing and swearing at them, summed up so many of them, from my experience. Entitled ****. :shrug:

I won’t bang on about the ones at Level crossings who pull to the front and then cycle slowly once the gates go up.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I just don’t like cyclists, unreasonable and wrong, but there you are. I give them plenty of room, I don’t abuse them or cut them up either. The arrogance (imo) of quite a few of them over the years has coloured my views I admit.

My opinion was cast in stone when in London, watching a group of who tourists were trying to cross the road and were in the cycle lane about to cross when a cyclist arrived cycling at full tilt and swerving through them, whilst abusing and swearing at them, summed up so many of them, from my experience. Entitled ****. :shrug:

I won’t bang on about the ones at Level crossings who pull to the front and then cycle slowly once the gates go up.

Yeah. I want to like them. Everything on paper says they are a good thing. Cycling is a good thing. But what a bunch of cvnts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah. I want to like them. Everything on paper says they are a good thing. Cycling is a good thing. But what a bunch of cvnts.

Then get us away from the road, pedestrians and everybody will be happy, yes?

No.

Because now we're in car parking spaces.
Car door opening spaces.
Ruining local businesses. (#Lies)

The internal combustion engine is king, in this country, because we are all to jealous, selfish and narrowminded.
The car is king right up until the point it has killed everybody, that day can't come soon enough.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
problem with cycle lanes is they are seen as a end in themselves. making cycle lanes, will make more cyclist? not really. but the authorities think this or are told to do this, so they do it half baked. cycle lanes should be specific routes to facilitate easier cycling between points, just like with do with rail or major trunk roads for that matter. then revert to the regular road network.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Then get us away from the road, pedestrians and everybody will be happy, yes?

No.

Because now we're in car parking spaces.
Car door opening spaces.
Ruining local businesses. (#Lies)

The internal combustion engine is king, in this country, because we are all to jealous, selfish and narrowminded.
The car is king right up until the point it has killed everybody, that day can't come soon enough.

Believe me, I don’t agree with me. I totally concur that cycling is a good thing. To bend a cliche, some of my best friends cycle and cycle often, both to work and for pure recreation. I like the whole concept. But once out on the road, I hate them.
Everything you say is correct. You are right. I am wrong. I know this.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its the cvnts who cycle along side by side so that they can have a little chit-chat that really boil my piss. I had one of those muppets in front of me when I was driving over the bridge going out of Shoreham High Street about a week ago. Typical lycra-clad GOON in wrap-around sunnies, smack in the middle of the road so he could chat with his mate. There was no way past, so I gave him a blast on the horn and eventually got past him at the roundabout - naturally to a gobful of abuse and gestures.

Some of them are utter vermin.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
problem with cycle lanes is they are seen as a end in themselves. making cycle lanes, will make more cyclist? not really. but the authorities think this or are told to do this, so they do it half baked. cycle lanes should be specific routes to facilitate easier cycling between points, just like with do with rail or major trunk roads for that matter. then revert to the regular road network.

During its construction I did mock this particular 'route to nowhere' for those very reasons.
Plus, as already mentioned, it just stops at a bushy grass verge.

When properly out riding I do cycle around the path, but that said I am using it more now.
Unsurprisingly though this '2 lane' cycle path is already overgrown and in places down to one lane no passing, imagine that on roads!

Chances are it has a more sinister reason for being there that being a large expand of open farm land between 2 massive new housing developments.

We all know what that means - more cars.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Believe me, I don’t agree with me. I totally concur that cycling is a good thing. To bend a cliche, some of my best friends cycle and cycle often, both to work and for pure recreation. I like the whole concept. But once out on the road, I hate them.
Everything you say is correct. You are right. I am wrong. I know this.
Yep I wonder how many cyclists actively want to share road space with a bus?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Its the cvnts who cycle along side by side so that they can have a little chit-chat that really boil my piss. I had one of those muppets in front of me when I was driving over the bridge going out of Shoreham High Street about a week ago. Typical lycra-clad GOON in wrap-around sunnies, smack in the middle of the road so he could chat with his mate. There was no way past, so I gave him a blast on the horn and eventually got past him at the roundabout - naturally to a gobful of abuse and gestures.

Some of them are utter vermin.

Like you're supposed to you mean? You've gone down in my estimation with this post.

And what have the wrap around sunnies got to do with anything? These are required to stop flies smashing into your eyeballs at 30mph as I've found out to my cost!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Seen a few cyclists who seem to have a death wish but this is the most extreme incarnation I’ve seen

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Perhaps the cycle lane is unkempt, littered with brambles and broken glass, and a danger to all, despite the enormous expense. Like Madonna's growler, perhaps (to theme with the topical music thread)

like Madonna's growler:bowdown:

what a brilliant addition to my urban dictionary

Something that was once picturesque and/or desirable but has seen better days following years of abuse. is it your creation - or am i just out of touch? Whatever the answer. i'm nicking it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here