Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Random Brighton History Question

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I *think* the computer games shop was Soft Centre.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I went for the purple and teamed them up with a raspberry roll-neck sweater. I was a walking fashion disaster back then - not much better now, says Mrs Saladpack!

I went with brown flares, brown shirt, brown jumper and black platform shoes. Quite a look ........... so I thought. I didn’t meet Mrs Right (or anyone) until a few years later!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I seem to remember a menswear shop called Frogget in late 70s/early 80s but I think it was in North Street

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
May I ask the cognoscenti a question? What ever happened to Blues Jim?

He was regular support for punk bands at the Alhambra (oh, alright, the Piranhas) in the late 70s. I next saw him busking on George Street around 96 when me and beardy brother were on our way from the pub to the Goldstone. Polly Put the Kettle On. Classic.

Is he still around?

He's still cycling around. I last saw him about three weeks ago along Church Road.

The last few times I've seen him on his bike he hasn't had his guitar strapped to his back which he was never without so not sure if he's stopped playing. But apart from that he doesnt really look any different. I think he's one of those people whose age caught up with his looks as I think he used to look older than he actually was but then didn't age much afterwards.

I remember he went through a phase of regularly turning up at my house on a Sunday on the pretence of playing boogie woogie piano. The real reason I think was because he knew my mum would have cooked an apple or some other fruit pie. He was quite good at feigning surprise when she offered him some.

I've got him on an old cassette recording I did of him playing piano singing Billie Holliday's Careless Love and also some Leadbelly on guitar from one of those Sunday afternoon sessions

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's still cycling around. I last saw him about three weeks ago along Church Road.

The last few times I've seen him on his bike he hasn't had his guitar strapped to his back which he was never without so not sure if he's stopped playing. But apart from that he doesnt really look any different. I think he's one of those people whose age caught up with his looks as I think he used to look older than he actually was but then didn't age much afterwards.

I remember he went through a phase of regularly turning up at my house on a Sunday on the pretence of playing boogie woogie piano. The real reason I think was because he knew my mum would have cooked an apple or some other fruit pie. He was quite good at feigning surprise when she offered him some.

Brilliant! Good to hear. :lolol: :thumbsup:

(apart from the possibility he's stopped playing, obvs)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here